BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any game like Pax Porfiria? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Pax Pamir and the upcoming Pax Renaissance - both of which are a little different so it depends on what you like about it - have a read of this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16729309#16729309

It contains a fantastic rant as an added bonus which to sum up without doing it any justice at all says:

There is nothing like Pax Porfiriana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the other games in the Pax family, and Sierra Madre games in general, there is nothing quite like Pax Porfiriana. What specifically do you like about Pax Por? That might help identifying other games you may like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Mainly I enjoy the deals And negotiations and thé real historical aspect game aswell as that each game is differentt. Thnx for sny suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Dominant Species, but I hear good things. Games like these are often more dependent on the gaming group. Since yours appears to be okay with a long, historical (or flavorful) somewhat complex games, Dom Species might be a good fit.

Other suggestions:

Triumph & Tragedy - WW2 block wargame for 3 players that includes production and diplomacy. Good historical flavor, dealing, and different every time I've played it (8 times now.)

Dune or Rex - Not historical, but the Dune version is very flavorful if you are a fan of the books/movie/tv show. Asymmetric powers and win conditions, a lot of negotiation. Rex is a competent remake but the Twilight Imperium reskin does nothing for me and is a bit garish. Rex might be easier to find however. Scythe might also be an option here. Its not the same game at all, but definitely inspired by Dune.

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) - Again not historical, though loosely based off the War of the Roses. Great game of alliances, deal-breaking, diplomacy and treachery. Just like the books/show.

All these games are long: 3-6 hours depending on the game and number of players. But all offer great experiences that will be different each and every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
COIN games perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah a COIN game might also be a good suggestion. I've only played Liberty or Death, once. I didn't instantly love it, but I want to give it another try. It, like Pax P, isn't immediately obvious what you should be doing, but now that I have a play under my belt, I'd like to explore the system more. Plus, there are quite a few different time periods/flavors to choose from in that system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.