Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Stone
United Kingdom
Freethorpe
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

I'd love to have a way of seeing the difference between the List Price and the Amazon Price, and maybe even sorting or filtering by that amount. I think it would be really good to find bargains.

If there's already a way to do that, or if it's too complicated then let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this may not be exactly what your looking for but I've found it to be a great tool
http://www.boardgameprices.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
this may not be exactly what your looking for but I've found it to be a great tool
http://www.boardgameprices.com/

That's a great site for shopping, but unfortunately (I don't think?) it doesn't specify list price. That would be a great feature improvement.

BGG sometimes seems to display list price but it's not consistent (maybe it has to be entered manually?).

Some OLGS are really good about displaying list price, like GameSurplus. I think CSI sometimes does but not always.

Amazon used to always show the MSRP but not for years now I think.

Sometimes I feel like it's a wild quest just to find the MSRP of a particular game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its that way because giving MSRP is something done on products that are so prevalent they don't have print runs or new versions all the time. Its a tool thats just hard to apply to most of the game market.
A history of a game's prices might be more doable/accurate/useful.
I'm not sure which was more detrimental, the inflation of OOP games or the price plummet of a flop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
I think its that way because giving MSRP is something done on products that are so prevalent they don't have print runs or new versions all the time. Its a tool thats just hard to apply to most of the game market.
A history of a game's prices might be more doable/accurate/useful.
I'm not sure which was more detrimental, the inflation of OOP games or the price plummet of a flop.

Although all games still technically have one, right? Even if it might not be the price most people pay?

For example, I just bought Mad Castles of King Ludwig, and printed right on the box is $59.99, that one's pretty clearcut

If you're looking for historical prices, spielboy website is good, also I think BGG shows them as well. But it's imprecise b/c sometimes the historical price can include the fact that it was a bundle of games and not the single game, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

MSRP is a scam. It's designed to adjust your perception of the product. You're best never seeing it and deciding on the value on your own.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

MSRP is a scam. It's designed to adjust your perception of the product. You're best never seeing it and deciding on the value on your own.

S.

I'd hardly call it a scam. It is the manufacturers suggest retail price. It is used both by the sellers and the buyers. Sellers often times sell below MSRP and buyers generally feel they got a deal when they buy below MSRP. It is neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

I'd hardly call it a scam. It is the manufacturers suggest retail price. It is used both by the sellers and the buyers. Sellers often times sell below MSRP and buyers generally feel they got a deal when they buy below MSRP. It is neutral.

I don't think it's a "scam" either, but aren't you both sort of talking about the same thing? The buyer thinks they got a "deal" when they bought below MSRP because of the expectation-setting of defining an MSRP. In general* I don't think that establishing an asking price is a "scam," but it isn't really neutral - the whole point is to establish a price baseline (and de facto ceiling). I think the perception that the buyer is then getting a 'deal' when they buy for less is the in the ballpark of the effect that Sagrilarus is calling a scam.

* I do think that there are scam qualities to some retailers (Kohl's comes to mind) who establish their own "list" price and then literally never sell the product at that price, only at a "discount." Especially when, on occasion, their list price is actually above MSRP, so the "sale" price is still at or above MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I used the word scam to get people's attention. But the concept holds -- the MSRP is a feature like any other, the manufacturer's way of affecting the value perception of their product.

There are products that sell better when they're priced higher, because the wholesaler, retailer and eventual purchasers see the price and evaluate the product at higher value. Product pricing is a science all its own.

When it comes right down to it the market sets the price on a product. MSRP is just a number that a few people in a board room (or in the hallway in front of it) spitballed from a gut feel for how it would be perceived. The MSRP printed on the box is every bit a feature of the product as its contents, all part of the mix. The publisher is using it as leverage on the market's perception of value.

I used to program cell phones and was sitting in on the meetings at Lucent and U.S. West when they were discussing the pricing plans for the then-brand-new text messaging and text services. I assure you there was no science involved. It was all about how they felt the products would be perceived by end-users. I thought they were all plum-loco.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
For example, I just bought Mad Castles of King Ludwig, and printed right on the box is $59.99, that one's pretty clearcut

That's funny, two of my games (neither Ludwig) from the Target B2G1 also had the MSRP printed on the box. I'd never seen that before. (And Target still priced them higher, which was interesting.)

As a frequent Amazon shopper, I thought their list prices had become untrustworthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

That's funny, two of my games (neither Ludwig) from the Target B2G1 also had the MSRP printed on the box. I'd never seen that before. (And Target still priced them higher, which was interesting.)

As a frequent Amazon shopper, I thought their list prices had become untrustworthy.

Interesting, I wonder what Target management would have done if you had pointed to the MSRP on the box and asked them why their price was higher

I'm not a frequent Amazon shopper, just occasional. Mostly board games and books. In those, for in-print, I don't think I've seen fake or inflated "list" prices (it used to be easy to check list prices to confirm that by using OLGS). What I have seen is that the discount has been steadily decreasing in the years, it used to be always 30-40%, now sometimes it's nearly at the list price. The other thing is that they are starting to not even display the list price, which annoys me to the point where (also for other reasons) I avoid shopping Amazon.

Unfortunately it looks like some OLGS have started following that lead and some of them have stopped showing list prices as well. Which I submit is very customer-unfriendly, and makes it harder and harder to find the MSRP. I know some argue that MSRP is just a "scam" and doesn't mean anything, but MSRP for games is what most bricks-and-mortar stores sell the games for, so, for me it's a useful benchmark. It's what I would pay if I stop by my FLGS, and the difference between that and the best deal online is what I pay extra for immediate gratification and to support my FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
jamiea wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Interesting, I wonder what Target management would have done if you had pointed to the MSRP on the box and asked them why their price was higher

For anyone else who hasn't run across this, here's one. And isn't it a rather ugly marring of the box?

And here's the Target listing (one of several I noticed where Target also misspelled the name of the game).
http://www.target.com/p/favor-of-the-pharoh-game/-/A-5008403...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is a legal contract obligation on minimum pricing if the producer wants to enforce it within their contract with the retailer. Its the law now due to the Supreme Court ruling shake http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121901920116148325

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
MSRP is a legal contract obligation on minimum pricing if the producer wants to enforce it within their contract with the retailer. Its the law now due to the Supreme Court ruling shake http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121901920116148325

Note that this practice, known as "retail price maintenance" (RPM) is not always legal; rather Leegin held that it was not per se an anti-trust violation (note that there was significant wiggle room even before Leegin, but I'm not going to try and break that down here). It might be an anti-trust violation depending on the market circumstances.

RPM usually does not necessarily require sale at MSRP, but rather limits discounting. For example, the Asmodee restriction on how much OLGS can discount is RPM. You can also see this in electronics, where video game systems typically cannot be discounted (although they do get pseudo-discounted by companies throwing in gift cards).

(all of the above pertains only to the US - no clue how this is handled elsewhere)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.