Subject: Errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's high time I pulled together a clarifications and errata document for this game. What should be in it?

So far I have:

* Timing (being able to choose the order of threat interactions; placing all tokens for fire/flood before doing mana crystal damage)

* Component count (I've already uploaded a correction document, but some people may find the errata first so I should include it)

* Use of memory-aid elements

* Use of multiple characters in solo/group play

* Two ice and how fire etc. should still defeat it from an adjoining room.

Was there anything else that's come up in discussions here (or anywhere!) that I need to include?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Woodford Green
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there were a couple of different questions about the behaviour of multiple instances of the same creature in the same room. Troll movement, imp stealing etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
I think it's high time I pulled together a clarifications and errata document for this game. What should be in it?

So far I have:

* Timing (being able to choose the order of threat interactions; placing all tokens for fire/flood before doing mana crystal damage)

* Component count (I've already uploaded a correction document, but some people may find the errata first so I should include it)

* Use of memory-aid elements

* Use of multiple characters in solo/group play

* Two ice and how fire etc. should still defeat it from an adjoining room.

Was there anything else that's come up in discussions here (or anywhere!) that I need to include?

Are you still writing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shh, I definitely didn't get distracted

I'll do it now. Just let me finish with the other BGG threads in case they cause me to add anything to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's my errata text. Any comments or suggestions before I pdf it up and upload it here and to the game design page?

Wizard’s Academy Errata 11/10/16

Errata

Component Count

The component count printed in the rulebook is incorrect. The correct component count is:
2 Boards
7 Character Cards
17 Room Tiles
41 Miniatures
8 Glass Stones
15 Zip Bags
246 Tokens (Over 3 punchboards)
14 Location Cards
56 Disaster Cards
73 Spell Cards
Due to a manufacturer error some copies of the game have the wrong spell cards (having half of the deck printed twice instead of a complete deck). Replacement spell decks are available from the publisher.

Component Limited

Threats are not limited by the number of components in the box. In the rare situation that additional threats need to be placed on the board use substitute counters for the additional threats. It is also acceptable to surrender and start a new game.

Demon’s Revenge Victory Condition

In the “Demon’s Revenge” advanced scenario, the victory condition should be that there are “No demons in play” rather than “No demons in the academy”.

Double Ice

The rules indicate that a room with two ice counters is not considered to be adjoining any other room. This should be amended to add the line “except when determining threat interactions between fire and ice”

Inspector Counter

In “The Inspector Calls” scenario a model for a wizard that is not in play should be used to represent the inspector.

Player Count & Multiple Characters

The game is playable by 1-6 players.
A player can (with the agreement of all other players) run more than one character if this does not take the number of characters over the maximum player count and the player is careful to keep the glyphs, items and disaster cards for those characters separate.

Timing of attacks

Threat interaction should be completely resolved before any attacks on the mana crystal are resolved.
Examples:
If a flood spreads to the mana crystal all water placed by that flood should be placed (and interactions resolved) before counting the number of water tokens to determine how much mana is lost.
If a troll enters the Mana Crystal while it already contains an imp, the troll eats the imp before attacking the mana crystal (ultimately removing the imp, one mana and the troll)

Clarifications

Actions

The actions available to a wizard can be more succinctly presented as follows:
You may take three actions..
No more than one of these may be a magic action.
If you take all three actions at least one must be a move action.

Activations
If multiple threats are activated by the same card the Helpful Hand of Fate allows you to determine the order in which they are activated – however you must determine an order. It is not possible to activate threats “simultaneously”
Example:
Two trolls in a room cannot be activated such that they each leave because they can see the other one.

Activation Sequencing

While threat interactions are resolved in a specific order, activations are resolved in the order of the players choice. This can lead to different outcomes.
Example:
A troll, imp and fire are in the same room.
Threat interaction occurs such that the troll eats the imp and then dies in the fire, resulting in a room just containing fire.
A troll portal, imp portal and fire are in the same room and all threats in that room are activated.
The player could activate the imp portal first – with the same outcome as the first example. They could also activate the troll portal first, causing the troll to die in the fire before the imp is placed, leading to an outcome in which the room contains an imp.

Doubles

The disaster card “Doubles” does literally double your glyphs.

Drawing Location Cards

A location card is only drawn when it’s required. If a monster wishes to move to a random room with a glyph and there is only one room with a glyph, no card is drawn.

Ice – Sliding

An action must be resolved before a new action can be started, as such it is not possible to (for example) take a glyph or cast a spell while sliding through a room on ice.

Memory Aids

The use of physical memory aids to assist in remembering spell locations is not prohibited by the rules but is discouraged. Particularly in group games the necessity of the memory task calls for a different sort of processing to grand strategy and is intended to promote cooperation over quarterbacking.

Monster Robes

It is possible to create a robe that works against imps, trolls or demons. This follows all of the usual rules for doing so and allows the player and monsters to completely ignore each toher.
Example:
A player with a troll robe can take glyphs from a room with a troll.
An imp will not stop to attempt to steal from a player with an imp robe and cannot take their glyphs using a glyph source (possibly leaving the academy if no unrobed players have glyphs of that type).

Portals

Portals are considered threats (for instance when resolving spells such as “Danger” that count how many threats are in a room).

Teleporting and Ice

A character teleporting into a room is not moving in a particular direction. As such teleporting into a room with a single ice token does not result in a “slide” move.

Title

There is a single wizard whose name is lost to history who created the academy. The punctuation on the box is correct. If you wish to take the perspective that the academy belongs to the wizards presently alive in it then it could also be written Wizards’ Academy, but that’s not what is written in the school’s prospectus.

Victory

Victory occurs immediately upon the victory condition being met. Defeat occurs immediately upon the defeat condition being met. The helpful hand of fate applies here as in other places, thus if the players manage to make a move that both loses and wins the game (for instance using an emergency ability of the mana crystal to expend their last mana to switch a room such that the objective is complete) then they are considered to have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I like my memory aids. But I only play solo with pet interference. When I play multiplayer, I'll try without them.

One more thing you might to address is the water threat rules. It's easy to lose the water spillover rules, because you really don't think to look to the threats page for what happens when you have more than two in a room. That probably should have been printed in the water threats section as well as the page 3 threats chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:

Monster Robes

It is possible to create a robe that works against imps, trolls or demons. This follows all of the usual rules for doing so and allows the player and monsters to completely ignore each toher.
Example:
A player with a troll robe can take glyphs from a room with a troll.
An imp will not stop to attempt to steal from a player with an imp robe and cannot take their glyphs using a glyph source (possibly leaving the academy if no unrobed players have glyphs of that type).

Is there a robe creation spell? Because otherwise I don't see how you could create a troll robe, as robe creation is a room action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback

The memory thing's a recommendation not a rule, it's your game now, play it however you find most fun.

Aye, a water rule clarification would be helpful, I'll add that.

There is a robe creation spell. The room action also works for threats in adjoining rooms. You could also use the room if there was also a darkness token in the room suppressing the troll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note for myself from another thread:

Clarify that multiple imps mean multiple glyphs lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bissett
msg tools
x_equals_speed wrote:
Okay, here's my errata text. Any comments or suggestions before I pdf it up and upload it here and to the game design page?

Having just opened the game a few days ago and catching up on the forums, sorry if these are dumb suggestions. Also, I've only gotten through the basic game.

- Page 11, imp activation table. Should the middle row have "In a room with a glyph source"?

- Also in threat rules, maybe a clarification that, when losing mana, rounding up is rounding up how many mana are lost, as opposed to rounding up the remainder? For instance, I'm assuming that 3 imps means I lose 1.5 mana, rounding up to losing 2 mana, as opposed to being left with X.5 and rounding up to X+1 (which would mean 3 imps -> 1 mana lost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Klutzke
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a little confused about using the numbered arrows when threats spread. If we check to see if an imp moves in a random direction, or if fire or water spreads in a random direction, and draw a card that shows a "1" arrow in a direction where there is no adjoining area, which of the following occurs?

A: No movement/spreading occurs.
B: Check the "2" arrow, then the "3" and "4" if necessary, until movement/spreading occurs. If all the directions are exhausted, no movement/spreading occurs.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carl

If the threat is a monster then you check the 2, 3 then 4 arrow.

If the threat is an element then no spreading occurs.

Essentially intelligent creatures are capable of going "This is a wall I'll go a different way" where physical forces aren't. I think that fire is the only element this is relevant to now, but I wouldn't swear that there's no combination of spells and disasters that'd change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wong
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Will there be another printing of this game, with all these errata fixed? I am eying the game, but would rather not want to have several pages of errata to refer to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any second printing would include the errata, but I would be very surprised if a second printing occurred.

I don't reckon you need most of the errata, a lot of it is clearing up edge cases - it's probably not worth the trouble to play with a print out of it, I doubt most players even know it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.