Subject: Two games in and I am already considering purchasing 2 expansions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so good that I cannot resist the temptation to buy more expansions, although I've only played 2 games (and made a couple of egregious mistakes!).

I'm thinking about getting them (at least for now) in chronological order, but not just for the sake of it. I understand that Forsaken Lore basically expands everything that is in the game already, while Mountains of Madness adds new stuff (I'm especially eager to find out what's the deal with the Focus tokens; I know some people play with the Focus action even without getting expansions, but I don't like houserules so I am - um...patiently - waiting to get the expansions for that).

I think I will have plenty of contents after getting these 2 expansions, especially since I only play 2 player games. Nonetheless, I already imagine the day I will have'em all...this has only happened to me once, with my favorite game, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game... So I think that's a good omen. I don't know whether I should stick afterwards to the chronological order or go nuts and get Under the Pyramids, or play it safe and get Strange Remnants, or get lost in Carcosa... Only time will tell.

Sorry for the numerous threads. As you can probably tell, I'm quite excited about this game. And weirdest thing is - I've never read a Lovecraftian novella or short story! So it must be the combination of a brilliant design (I love the luck-mitigation aspects of the game) and an immersive, fragmented and dazzling storyline originating in Lovecraft's imagination which grasps you at your first encounter with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you get the most bang for your buck with the small box expansions. As already said in numerous threads here, Forsaken Lore should have been in the base box already.

However, in the end, you want them all. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I'm thinking about getting them (at least for now) in chronological order, but not just for the sake of it. I understand that Forsaken Lore basically expands everything that is in the game already, while Mountains of Madness adds new stuff (I'm especially eager to find out what's the deal with the Focus tokens; I know some people play with the Focus action even without getting expansions, but I don't like houserules so I am - um...patiently - waiting to get the expansions for that).

Forsaken Lore basically fills out the original game, and, yes, most of us think it's essential. Though I would skip MoM for now; it's generally considered the weakest of the expansions—go for Under the Pyramids instead. You get relics, and a better sideboard and set of Ancient Ones.

As far as proxying focus, don't worry about it being a "house rule." Again, this is one of those things that really just got overlooked in the base game, and really should have been there from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Slattery
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree with Xelto...while I like the investigators from MoM, I think it is the weakest of the expansions, with two of the least exciting Ancient Ones as well.

Focus is so easy to implement, I wouldn't consider it a house rule. Instead of an action, take a focus token (maximum you can have is two per investigator). Spend one token for a reroll. Simple! If you really want some actual focus tokens and related cards/investigators, you can get Strange Remnants as your second expansion, it includes some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept of going to Antarctica a lot more than going under the pyramids, to put it like that... But if there really are just 2 ways to get to Antarctica, that sucks (using one Ancient One and something called a prelude card?) .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
0468 Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing applies to Under the Pyramids, one ancient one or a prelude card uses the extra board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While Forsaken Lore is highly recommended (getting more options for all of the existing decks is never a bad thing), just keep in mind that it's the only expansion that doesn't come with any new investigators. So if more investigators is an exciting draw for you, you may want to start off with another small box.

I think of all the expansions, Signs of Carcosa has my favorite set of investigators and Great Old One.

But, if you're like us and get hooked on this game, eventually you'll own all the expansions anyways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you really want to go to Antarctica, nothing prevents you from automatically include the prelude card, they're supposed to be roughly equilibrated on bonuses and minuses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I think i will go with Strange Remnants and Forsaken Lore. This way the only things I will miss fpr a while will be an extra board (which would pose table space problems anyway) and the plethora of monsters that come with MoM. But i will get focus, new encounters (mystic ruins?) and a couple of new AOs and imvestigators. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Then I think i will go with Strange Remnants and Forsaken Lore. This way the only things I will miss fpr a while will be an extra board (which would pose table space problems anyway) and the plethora of monsters that come with MoM. But i will get focus, new encounters (mystic ruins?) and a couple of new AOs and imvestigators. What do you think?

Great choice, you'll have some very fun additional content this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lasted about a week and a half (7 games) before ordering an expansion haha. I ordered Under the Pyramids, only because Forsaken Lore is still low in stock a lot of places so I would have to pay at least $30 for it and I figured one of the big box expansions would add more stuff overall for only $5 more. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question - can you store any of the contents in the small boxes? Do they have any kind of insert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to shamelessly plug these custom investigators I made since you're craving some more variety.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136533/8-eldritch-horror-...

I have all the ex-packs and I still want more. And Yig is STILL hard, so Forsaken Lore is a great choice if you want a challenge.

Honestly, as much as I like the sideboards, they don't hit the table often. And out of the two, I prefer the Egypt sideboard.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
Another question - can you store any of the contents in the small boxes? Do they have any kind of insert?

Not really. You can probably store some things in there, but I largely ignore my small boxes and keep them around for the coverart, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
So reading your post I cannot help but smile

I havent played a boardgame since Risk/Monopoly about 15 years ago, im now 26. I played HALF a game of Eldritch Horror, which got ended early, then immediately went to buy it and Forsaken Lore. Waiting on the other expansions to be sent! My pc games stand in the corner and I mock them.... whilst the Ancient Ones mock my feeble attempts at keeping them at bay .

Loving the community that follows not only this, but boardgames overall. Seems like I've found the right place, with just enough Sanity to spare

Mad love for you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

Not really. You can probably store some things in there, but I largely ignore my small boxes and keep them around for the coverart, haha.

Um, I've just watched some unboxings and apparently they have inserts and there is plenty of storage room in there. not sure what expansions you bought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
soakman wrote:

Um, I've just watched some unboxings and apparently they have inserts and there is plenty of storage room in there. not sure what expansions you bought

Well, I mean, you CAN store things in them, but once you have more than a few expansions and you don't really want to spend the time divorcing your card decks, I don't really have a use for them anymore.

My decks are mostly too large to fit in the small boxes at this point as there's no reason to keep the components separate.

Poorly worded response on my part I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you get enough stuff that it won't fit in one box, just go with a single box. I strongly recommend separating the ancient one cards and put them in small bags or tuckboxes, by AO. I actually put the Forsaken Lore box inside my main box to make it easier to keep some of the individual piles separate but still organized. The Strange Remnants box (minus the pointless insert) holds all my monster tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, the official App can save you a ton of storage and table space, since you can box up the Encounter, Expedition, Special encounters and Other world cards in a separate box, and only bring them out when you want to play old school.

Am I the only one using this? Is there something wrong with it that I haven't been told about? I love it, but it is rarely mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official?

At least on Android, there is only one Eldritch Horror app I know of, and it is not official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Companion wrote:
This is *not* an official app by Fantasy Flight Games. It is a fan-made app created by me to facilitate the setup and cleanup of the game, as well as adding more table space by removing all of the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks, if I wanted to play games on my phone i would not have spent so much money on board games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crispy66 wrote:
Also, the official App can save you a ton of storage and table space, since you can box up the Encounter, Expedition, Special encounters and Other world cards in a separate box, and only bring them out when you want to play old school.

Am I the only one using this? Is there something wrong with it that I haven't been told about? I love it, but it is rarely mentioned.

The app IS handy, but it is fan-made. I don't know how reliable it is or how often the decks are updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
crispy66 wrote:

The app IS handy, but it is fan-made. I don't know how reliable it is or how often the decks are updated.

I tried using it once and it crashed often, you are supposed to be able to just restart and it would remember your settings and carry on. The problem I found was that when you did this the expedition jumped to a different location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Back to the expansions, I easily stopped after Strange Remnants due to the inclusion of the tokens that lower your stats in the last couple expansions. The mechanic doesn't look fun to me at all and seems to be majorly featured in those expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
This game is so good that I cannot resist the temptation to buy more expansions, although I've only played 2 games (and made a couple of egregious mistakes!).

I think I will have plenty of contents after getting these 2 expansions, especially since I only play 2 player games. Nonetheless, I already imagine the day I will have'em all...this has only happened to me once, with my favorite game, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game... So I think that's a good omen. I don't know whether I should stick afterwards to the chronological order or go nuts and get Under the Pyramids, or play it safe and get Strange Remnants, or get lost in Carcosa... Only time will tell.

Sorry for the numerous threads. As you can probably tell, I'm quite excited about this game. And weirdest thing is - I've never read a Lovecraftian novella or short story! So it must be the combination of a brilliant design (I love the luck-mitigation aspects of the game) and an immersive, fragmented and dazzling storyline originating in Lovecraft's imagination which grasps you at your first encounter with it.

That's nothing, I'd already bought every expansion before I even played my first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.