Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Endeavor priority rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is one part of the game that I am not sure we tackle all that well... Where are the best places to use your endeavors and what should you be doing to optimise them?

We tend to try to innovate as an absolute first priority, and if we happen to have anyone with match maker then that is important. Otherwise the main use we have is throw it at augury to try to get intimacy. And of course if we need leather then make some, or if we need to build a new location, but that sort of stuff doesn't come up too often.

I think there are probably a lot we have glossed over due to wanting to play it safe. Quite a few options seem to have pretty high risks if you roll low which hasn't felt like it is worth the trade off unless there is some way to get other modifiers that we haven't yet found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an excellent survivor who picked up a nasty disorder, well, drums aren't a bad choice. And if you a shrine it's practically a must to endeavour there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to add to the above advice. Pretty much NEVER skip endevouring, there are a number that you will really need/want to have later on, and if you don't get Symposium early on then it will be even harder (btw Symposium is #1 priority every game because of the extra innovation draws are invaluable especially with the number of less than stellar innovations that will eventually clog up the deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrine is really good early game, and okay mid-late game, but there are definitely times when we feel our armor's plenty to handle the situation.

Agreed that late game nightmare training in particular is great. I don't know if I'd call scarification great, but it's pretty nice to try on a newb.

Augury is pretty obvious.

And yeah, drums are always nice as a throwaway to patch someone up that you'd like to take out again.

But there are a ton that we never do, like cooking, forbidden dance (except the stone circle's thing based on it), momento mori, etc., where they're too situational, too expensive, or just bad odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So we probably aren't missing too much then.. I would agree that shrine is good if you have it. Last lantern year we ended up with 12 endeavors, we innovated straight away, couldn't afford the leather worker, so just threw everything else at augury. It felt like a bit of a waste but I guess its never bad building up population.

I think I might also start integrating the updated Lantern Horde to grow experience a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday our guys returned from a L1 DBK hunt in three (poor Repetto Castraleoni will be dearly missed) to meet a Plague followed by a Bone Witch (LY14). We were left with two Endeavors, used them to build the Wet Resin Crafter and do a Underground Sow. A spare Love Juice triggered exactly one Intimacy this year, a normal survivor was born without too much trouble (PtY, but this particular roll would have also worked with SotF).

Innovations were not so much required (we are still trying to get Nightmare Training, but we already have Family/Clan of Death, so we can afford to wait one or two years more). Next Showdown is the Hand L1, so hopefully we will be able to all survive.

My point is, there is no official Endeavor prioritization. In our settlement (Romantic) we have already 18 Innovations (thanks to the expansions), and almost all the innovations we need. Thanks to three Matchmakers and an early Hovel (and having fought something like 7 L1 lions), we have 25 population and two active Saviors, so Intimacy is not that much needed, as well as innovations. Since the Watcher is drawing near, we are aiming at completing the sets we need (we would be happy to get a full DBK set and maybe one run at Lion God before the final fight, as I already stated I like meeting my Watchers at LY20.

Moreover, one of our guys absolutely wanted to get the Lantern Halberd, so an insane amount of Endeavors went to the Guidepost.

I can assure that, unless we draw Murder/Plague/Skull Eater/Plague and get another Bone Witch from somewhere else, we will be able to end the campaign with a "win" at LY20, so... Endeavor prioritization is as follows:
- prioritize Innovations if you know WHAT YOU WANT TO GET (ie.: I want Clan Of Death before LY15, or I want the Blacksmith before going against L2 Phoenix)
- prioritize Gear/Locations when you are preparing for a particular fight (ie. I want two Bandages and at least a full Rawhide set before L1 Butcher, or I want a King's Spear and at least one Bow-Arrow before L2 White Lion)
- prioritize population AND population preservation if your Settlement has less than 8 survivors (ie. We need to get Facepaint with SotF before endeavoring Intimacy again, or we are done - or we need to trigger Intimacy/get more Matchmakers because population is dwindling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Vogler
Austria
flag msg tools
Styfen wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Agreed that late game nightmare training in particular is great. I don't know if I'd call scarification great, but it's pretty nice to try on a newb.

Acanthus mitigates the problems with scarification.

I have a question about the spending of endeavor: Should I use the endeavor points with the survivors who has returned, or can i spend the points with xyz-suvis? Yesterday i triggered intimacy the first time with a xyz-suvi. Sure i named her first but is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
xyz-suvi stands for "unnamed survivor"?
You can use any survivor you want, as long as you can reference them.
I usually name them when I use them, but sometimes it is important to name them to annotate some skills (for example, to keep track of new survivors with "Clan of Death" bonuses or when you use 4 schmucks to play the triathlon of death, so it's a grey area.

Anyway, you are not explicitly forced to name them. The rules just state that they get 1 survival when you name them, and that when you pick new survivors, it is vaguely stated to name them, but it's more of a description of a normal behavior than an actual depart action. I think you could even use unnamed survivors to depart, you simply don't get the bonus +1 survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't got the material to hand. But isn't the Triathlon of death SE for the returning survivors? (could be wrong) Would be handy to know if I can use my damaged/unimportant chumps for that event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked. It says "Each player nominates a different survivor". So no, it's for everyone. Also because in that case you could not have a fourth classified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
t3clis wrote:
Just checked. It says "Each player nominates a different survivor". So no, it's for everyone. Also because in that case you could not have a fourth classified.

Cool. Chump Olympics it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, it's always exciting when we run across that event when there are only two of us playing-- only good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So if I'm playing solo I get all the prizes ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
This was discussed a lot. There are some events that actually include a case for solo players, but in most cases there is no alternate route, so you have to find your way.

Personally, when I play with at least another person, I count the effective number of players (two to four), it has advantages and disadvantages, you will see. But when I am solo, I always fake for players and keep track of the monster controller associated with any imaginary player for special rules some gear (but I don't give myself insanity when I target a survivor or another).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I've been running the 1.5 updates. An early drums is very useful now with the synchronized strike fighting art that comes with it. Forbidden dance allowing for re-rolls of the synchronized strike also useful and also allows you a chance to have king's step before reaching the kings man. I don't know how useful that is but I think it's pretty neat.

I would definitely take surge or dash as soon as you can , otherwise, the deck gets pretty big and it becomes harder to get these later on. I would skip ammonia early because the odds are pretty high you can get it from fighting Gorm and medium chance to get it on the hunt for white lion. You need 3+ understanding, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Italics wrote:

Not everyone frequents these forums as a regular. As new people come in (and because of the most shittiest search function on a forum I've ever seen), expect more of the same to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's wise to play an incomplete edition, at least not with the intent to make suggestions about it. You don't know how the rest of the context is changing, or if the edition changes you've seen previewed are even stable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Better to bump old threads than to start new ones with exactly the same content I think, at least then there is already a discussion for new people to read through before adding more.

Its pretty cool that the new innovations look to add more widespread balance and make your choices harder or at least lots of more viable choices. As Nick said all speculation until the new stuff in full is seen and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.