Subject: Third Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read up on the game and was just ready to print and play it when I saw the thread indicating that there may be some strategies within the current ruleset that make the game too easy.

I'd obviously prefer to play the "corrected" version of the game if it's out there, but I can't seem to find any updates. I did see that only the second edition is available in the files section; however, I saw a post from the designer that when UE: Beast Hunter was released we'd also get the third edition. Beast Hunter is out, but is the third edition?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Note: While I'm here... If I'm just starting with the series should I jump right into Beast Hunter, or should I play the original a number of times first? Opinions welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmb
Despite what some have found, the base game is still plenty challenging and really quite a riot. It's very fun. I can't tell you not to read into every session and strategy report from other players, but I can tell you that the game is excellent as-is. Beast Hunter is also excellent, but a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beast Hunter was released "as-is" if I remember correctly. It wasn't where the designer wanted it to be, but was close enough for people to play. He didn't have the time to update it in the near future so released for people to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got a chance to develop the third edition. As Jim said above, the current version(2nd ed.) is a fine game. Just jump in!

Whether you start with Utopia Engine or Beast Hunter, I'll leave that to you. They are each stand-alone games although they do share some mechanics. From a story perspective, the events of Beast Hunter happen a few weeks before Utopia Engine, just in a different region. But if your thought was to start on Beast Hunter while you wait for a new edition of Utopia Engine, you'll be waiting for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I never got a chance to develop the third edition. As Jim said above, the current version(2nd ed.) is a fine game. Just jump in!

Whether you start with Utopia Engine or Beast Hunter, I'll leave that to you. They are each stand-alone games although they do share some mechanics. From a story perspective, the events of Beast Hunter happen a few weeks before Utopia Engine, just in a different region. But if your thought was to start on Beast Hunter while you wait for a new edition of Utopia Engine, you'll be waiting for a very long time.

That's all the information I needed. Thanks Nick! I have a feeling I'll be enjoying both games shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.