Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When distributing a CCG is it considered better to release as themed expansions, booster packs, or both?

For example an expansion with a premade deck of cards, or boosters with the chance of getting any card in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do randomised content. It's the road to ruin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
When distributing a CCG is it considered better to release as themed expansions, booster packs, or both?

For example an expansion with a premade deck of cards, or boosters with the chance of getting any card in the game.

Lets back this question up a bit.

Please tell us why you believe a randomized content distribution model (CCG) is better for your idea than a box that contains predetermined content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Do you want to allow all players the same access to all of the content, or would you rather focus on catering to the "pay-to-win" crowd?

polyobsessive wrote:
Don't do randomised content. It's the road to ruin.

This is true, unless you have something that you think can really compete with MTG, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!

Having a good game won't be enough. It would have to have excellent publicity (and probably a compelling competitive outlet) to get returning players to even try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Just to be sure we're all on the same page, when you say "CCG," do you mean "Collectible Card Game"? Usually, the "collectible" in this abbreviation means what the other folks in this forum have been saying -- randomized packs. I agree with the others -- using the randomized model is not a good business strategy. As a consumer, I move right along when I learn something is "collectible."

By contrast, Fantasy Flight uses the phrase "Living Card Game" and other companies have used non-trademarked phrases like "Expandable Card Game" to designate a game designed to grow and expand, but whose expansions are complete. There's no collectible aspect to the game and no randomization.

So, to answer your question -- Themed Expansions with a set card pool (not randomized) is the best way to go in my opinion.

See also: James Mathe's discussion of this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone.
It is clear that you guys prefer non-randomised cards.

I will go down the expansion route.

What would you call it if it isn't a CCG and I don't consider it to be a TCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, a "card game"?

As Brendan pointed out, "expandable card game" is one term which is growing in use for this sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completely gone off the idea of random booster packs, for this game at least. I do like the sound of "expandable card game". It's short and accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
I've completely gone off the idea of random booster packs, for this game at least. I do like the sound of "expandable card game". It's short and accurate.

Or do your best to follow the Ascension/Dominion model of releasing a fully-playable, complete game in a box, then big expansions later. But yes, I'd use ECG or XCG if you want to convey the expanding model but NOT the collectible/trading model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

Or do your best to follow the Ascension/Dominion model of releasing a fully-playable, complete game in a box, then big expansions later. But yes, I'd use ECG or XCG if you want to convey the expanding model but NOT the collectible/trading model.

I agree, now, that would be the best option. I'll include two decks in each set so two players can play from 1 set, or 1 player can pick their favourites from each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.