Hide
12 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mage Knights Differences? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
I'm pretty new to this game (only played around 3-4 solo conquest games) and the question I keep hearing from friends to whom I teach the game is 'what are the differences between each Mage Knight'. Except the unique card, I guessing the differences coming from the Skill token.

I already noted Arythea is better at handling wounds, and it seems like Norowas is all about units? I'm interested to hear more detailed answer, so I can give one to my friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arythea is best at using wounds, gaining black mana, and manipulating mana. Focus on red mana. Starts with fire attack.
Goldyx is best at hoarding crystals, and therefore using spells. Small focus on blue mana. Starts with an extra easy way to get 6 ranged attack.
Norowas is best at recruiting and using a large army. Small focus on white and green.
Tovak is best at blocking, and is flexible, with ways to cope with bad card and mana selections. Starts with ice attack (unless you get the expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct so far. I explain that each Knight is generally better in this way:

Arythea is better at attacking and handling wounds.
Tovak is better at blocking and attacking.
Norowas is better at units.
Goldyx is better at mana.
Krang is better at using influence to get his way (and to rape the land).
Wolfhawk is better at movement.
Braevalar is one with the land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfhawk also has advantages when working alone (i.e. with no, or close to no, units) - kind of the opposite of Norowas in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks guys :-)

Only thing I'm not sure I understand is - "Braevalar is one with the land"? He can move on different trains easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolhawk is fastest, and can benefit from having a low number of units. She can manage random draws well.
Krang has spikes of power, providing burst effects that can then be recharged. He can manipulate units and enemies.
Braevalar is flexible and good at blocking, like Tovak, and is effective when in "rough" terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
erich_schneider wrote:
Wolfhawk also has advantages when working alone (i.e. with no, or close to no, units) - kind of the opposite of Norowas in that respect.

Although it has to be said that it's hard to utilize her solo-abilities in a way that it justifies not having units. At least for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
It should be noted that Arythea is exceptional at mana management of any color. Two of her skills let her create red or black mana, while another one lets her use mana as mana of a defined other color, especcially black as gold, which means you will almost always have a use for the dice at the source. Focussing on red spells is the way to go, but other spells and red AA cards are always welcome.

Her wound management abilities shouldn't be needed much when she is played right, since none of them gets the wounds out of your deck which means they count as negative score at the end. Those skills help beginners getting a grip of the game though.

Krang is extremely flexible. He can easily get access to mana through one of her improved base cards, has several great and flexible skills with Puppet Master being the icing on top. Having an extra +5 elemental attack/block in the end game by controlling some dragon or white city defender is worth a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
Her wound management abilities shouldn't be needed much when she is played right, since none of them gets the wounds out of your deck

Not true. Healing Ritual/Ritual of Pain throw away two Wounds from hand, with added benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
... Braevalar is one with the land.

Benkyo wrote:
... Braevalar is flexible and good at blocking, like Tovak, and is effective when in "rough" terrain.

What is Braevalar?
I've never heard that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbear wrote:
aliallison wrote:
... Braevalar is one with the land.

Benkyo wrote:
... Braevalar is flexible and good at blocking, like Tovak, and is effective when in "rough" terrain.

What is Braevalar?
I've never heard that.

Braevalar is with the Shades of Tezla expansion.

My descriptions are very brief. The Knight uses the land to help block, move and heal. When telling newer players about differences, I don't want more than a phrase, since they are all pretty well balanced, and it's mainly personal preference or what might be good for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Benkyo wrote:
The_Crimson_King wrote:
Her wound management abilities shouldn't be needed much when she is played right, since none of them gets the wounds out of your deck

Not true. Healing Ritual/Ritual of Pain throw away two Wounds from hand, with added benefits.

You are right. I play mostly solitaire with the base game version of the Vassal Module, where this skill is not contained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.