$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Level 3 Lion running off the Hunt board c.a. 30 to 40% of the time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haukur Thor Buason
Iceland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything on this from Adam Poots.

Since the lion starts on the starvation space you only need to draw 1 event (Prowling Lion) for it to run off the board and end the hunt. You place 5 events out of 8 so there is a high chance that the event will be on the track and the effect is automatic (doesn't require a die roll). If that happens your only hope is that one of 3 other events (Aromatic Breeze, Sea of Golden Grass and White Lion Cub) is also on the board an precedes it to counter it. Aromatic Breeze doesn’t require a roll but both Sea of Golden Grass (1-3) and White Lion Cub (1-7) do.

This makes it so that even if a level 3 lion is a pushover for you group it makes no sense to hunt it since you get no resources for the turn if the lion runs off and also lose d5 from your storage. On the other hand if you would make it so that the lion had no chance of moving off the board it would be too easy to farm the Beast of Sorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a FA in one of the expansions that prevents the quarry from running off the hunt track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That part of the game would have been playtested a bit since the groups have to get through the hunt track to even test the lion. So yeah it definitely appears to be deliberate. We have not got to the stage where I think we are confident or capable fighting a level 3 monster yet at all, but if we did I am very tempted to houserule it in some way just because the game is much more interesting if you actually have a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haukur Thor Buason
Iceland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yeah it is probably intended. I thought it might just be the lion since the others start further from the edge, but you are right the other two quarries from the base game are about as likely to run off at level 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kellner
United States
California
flag msg tools
I believe you are playing the game as intended.

However, if it is ruining your enjoyment I have seen an interesting house rule that might help you. Another group introduced a rule that created a single "place holder" space immediately after starvation. As long as the quarry doesn't also move off of this space AND it has moved back into the board before you would reach starvation, you are good to go. This rule was apparently rather effective in making the hunt a more viable option without removing sense of tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a really unfortunate rule, since the reasons you (or at least I) hunt a level 3 are:

more (though still disproportionately small) rewards
an interesting fight

and neither of those are achieved by not being able to get to the monster.

It basically just discourages you further from fighting level 3 things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
unless I want to try to craft an item that need the level 3 resource... I never go for level 3... all the hunts events, overwhelming darkness, etc are not worth the extra resources...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of the above. However, I should add that sometimes I go hunt a L3 just to see what it's like (the worst L3 I ever met? DBK).

Anyway, try them if you are positive that the starvation won't make you lose the campaign: this game does not forgive smugness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
I think it's a really unfortunate rule, since the reasons you (or at least I) hunt a level 3 are:

more (though still disproportionately small) rewards
an interesting fight

and neither of those are achieved by not being able to get to the monster.

It basically just discourages you further from fighting level 3 things.

I agree 100%. I really hope the 2.0 release replaces the hunt track with something a bit more substantial and fulfilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.