5 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster – Sunstalker Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: People of the Sun and "Bold" story event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So some of our sun people got their third courage upgrade in the settlement phase and got BOLD. That means they get to be a matchmaker and can trigger intimacy for one endeavor if returning survivor.

Now, we already can do that at our sacred pool location, so "matchmaker" is worthless. We house ruled that the matchmaker then can trigger intimacy for NO endeavor instead of one, but it feels wrong.

How did you handle it? Looking forward to your ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
We house ruled that the matchmaker then can trigger intimacy for NO endeavor instead of one, but it feels wrong.

That does sound a bit strong, and remember that in both cases (the Sacred Pool and from Matchmaker), they are only usable once per settlement phase. So if you have one MM as a returning survivor, and have the Sacred Pool available, you can spend 2 endeavor to Intimacy twice.

But I see what you're saying.. Matchmaker does become much less cool in that situation.

What about something like this:

-The Grand Mother of the Sun Variant-
• The first time your settlement gains a Matchmaker, that survivor is deemed the Grand Mother/Father of the Sun (or the GMotS). Write this on her/his survivor sheet.

• There can only be one survivor in the settlement designated as this motherly/fatherly figure. Anytime another survivor would gain the Matchmaker milestone, roll a d10 to determine which of the other two milestones they gain instead.

• If the GMotS ever dies, the Matchmaker milestone becomes available again for the next survivor to earn; and then that survivor will become the new Grand Mother of the Sun.

• Anytime anyone rolls rolls on the intimacy table while the settlement has a GMotS, they may roll one white die alongside the rest of the die they are supposed to roll. If that white die ever rolls a lantern 10, you may adjust your intimacy roll results up one degree on the intimacy table (for example, if your result is a 1, instead you may use the result on the table for a 2 or 3. Or if you rolled a 2 or 3, you may use the result on the table for 4, 5, or 6). If Birth of a Savior is rolled, and the white die is a lantern 10 -- the settlement gains a set of twin Saviors.

(You could use something like this to still give the matchmaker milestone some meaning, but to also divert most of the survivors away from it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for these ideas!
Actually sounds very interesting, very thematic and "underpowered" enough for KD:M!

Now, I have to ask, did you just come up with this (would be legendary!) or is this a known variant for a known problem?

We will try this variant at once in our running campaign! Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was just spitballing off of your post, but this kind of thing gets my creative juices pumping

If you try it, let me know how it works out. Like you say it seems underpowered enough to use without messing with the balance of the game too much.

Maybe the white die mechanic will need to be tweaked though (if lantern 10s refuse to show up on that die, maybe knock it down to a 9-10 result? But if you get a success out of it maybe 3-4 times during a campaign, that seems about right to me. The main catch is that most of your survivors won't end up with that useless matchmaker milestone..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding! Hats off to you!

Yeah, I guess it may eventually need tweaking a little bit, although after about 60 games (two and a half campaigns) we are not that safe in house ruling yet. Sometimes we rule little things, that seem very unimportant, but then realize that their impact is far to huge.

Breeding seems not to be that important in PotS, having no population control like Armored Strangers and Nemeses. So, assuming that there will be about 10 or 15 newborns max in our campaign, there should be a chance of more like 20% than 10%.

Concerning the Grandmother of the Sun, I can imagine that a 1 and a 10 triggers the bonus. Thematically spoken, the 1 acting as a shield for a potentially deadly intimacy roll (like our 1 which killed the parents and the newborn), and the lantern 10... well, always rocks, we all know that!
Hope this is understandable, I am not a native speaker and try to express myself halfway correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.