$30.00
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the prologue scenario 4 times now, to different groups and started the actual game with 1 group. In my experience, people really get into the story when they name their characters, ships, provinces, etc. When they don't- they don't seem to get as much out of the experience. Just an observation. The people who wrote on their cards during the prologue (on post-it notes) were much more likely to have fun with the game and get into the narrative- even when they weren't the active player.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did the other 3 groups choose not to play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:
I've taught the prologue scenario 4 times now, to different groups and started the actual game with 1 group. In my experience, people really get into the story when they name their characters, ships, provinces, etc. When they don't- they don't seem to get as much out of the experience. Just an observation. The people who wrote on their cards during the prologue (on post-it notes) were much more likely to have fun with the game and get into the narrative- even when they weren't the active player.

Got to play this with the designer at WashingCon on Sunday. (gloating!)
We only did the prolog, but I thought the game cool enough to buy for my REGULAR gaming group. I'll discuss with them tonight.

If the team decides to take the full plunge, I'm going shopping for peel-off label stock to create artwork that will allow full naming and immersion, plus full replay-resale (by simply peeling off the labels).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

Did the other 3 groups choose not to play the game?

After they played the prologue? I am the only one of my friends who currently has the game. They said they liked the game, but during the game they did not seem to be as invested... Some texted while gaming, got up and walked around on other player's turns, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
endlsdremr wrote:

Got to play this with the designer at WashingCon on Sunday. (gloating!)
We only did the prolog, but I thought the game cool enough to buy for my REGULAR gaming group. I'll discuss with them tonight.

If the team decides to take the full plunge, I'm going shopping for peel-off label stock to create artwork that will allow full naming and immersion, plus full replay-resale (by simply peeling off the labels).

The only reason I did the post-it's during the prologue was so that I could teach the prologue to many different groups. I feel that writing directly on the cards and the boards helps with connection/immersion into the story.. We have since wrote, stickered, etc on game components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Post-it notes was great idea!

It is hard to tell if people who texted, walked around were interested or not - some people just do those things now and do not consider it disruptive or even rude

good luck with you gaming group in Sea Fall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Davis
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:

I'm confused as to what features in the game we are formally naming. I understand that we name the advisors, but what else actually gets to be named (in ink, in the game)? My friends and I are excited to name our ships (and will do so regardless of whether it is formally a game feature), but I get more excitement knowing that anyone could pull the game off the shelf, open the box, and tell exactly which ship was named what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endlsdremr wrote:
The people who wrote on their cards during the prologue (on post-it notes) were much more likely to have fun with the game and get into the narrative- even when they weren't the active player.

I think you're reversing cause and effect. The people who get more into the game are then inclined to name stuff, not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Music4LifeGL41 wrote:
endlsdremr wrote:

I'm confused as to what features in the game we are formally naming. I understand that we name the advisors, but what else actually gets to be named (in ink, in the game)? My friends and I are excited to name our ships (and will do so regardless of whether it is formally a game feature), but I get more excitement knowing that anyone could pull the game off the shelf, open the box, and tell exactly which ship was named what.

Islands get names. There's also space on the board (but not in the original rules) to name colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Music4LifeGL41 wrote:
I'm confused as to what features in the game we are formally naming. I understand that we name the advisors, but what else actually gets to be named (in ink, in the game)?

The islands certainly have names that are assigned during play. There are also "Colony of" spaces visible on the board, so although the colony rules are not available at start, it would be fair to infer that something is written there. What else, if anything, you might be able to name, would be a spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Music4LifeGL41 wrote:

(Without any spoilers) Players name their a) Province b) 2 ships c) character card (chosen at the beginning of the Prologue) and any advisors they hire if they weren't already named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
endlsdremr wrote:
The people who wrote on their cards during the prologue (on post-it notes) were much more likely to have fun with the game and get into the narrative- even when they weren't the active player.

I think you're reversing cause and effect. The people who get more into the game are then inclined to name stuff, not the other way around.

Could be! I thought about that as I was writing, but wasn't sure if the chicken came first or the egg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
And remember, Advisors do not have to be named. If you get a nameless advisor and can't think of a good name at the time, you do not have to name them. They can always go back into the deck until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.