Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If I have one of my ships at an island location that has already been explored (and say, has one Spice located there) and another player decides to raid that site,

can I use my ship as a support to that island location to remove one die from the raiding player's dice pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Almost positive that support ships only support your own ship. I'm not sure what part of the rules you are reading would indicate anything close to what you are describing.

Edit: Oh I see what you might be referring to:
Quote:
Defending ships in the region. Each ship is considered a support
ship and usually removes one die unless it has an upgrade or ability
that allows it to remove more.

This might be more about raiding ships and Provinces (and possibly Colonies), but it's not spelled out very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:
If I have one of my ships at an island location that has already been explored (and say, has one Spice located there) and another player decides to raid that site,

can I use my ship as a support to that island location to remove one die from the raiding player's dice pool?

Your question is already answered, as far as the base game rules, in the compiled Q&A thread:

Ships may defend against a raid in a region they control. So, if you have your ships in your home harbor, and someone raids your province, he would lose two dice as your defending ships act as support ships and remove a die each from his raid.

If you're asking about other situations that involve additional rules not in the base rulebook, then you should ask those specifically, with spoiler tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

If you control the region, yes. At the start of the game, the only region you can control is your home harbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
If you control the region, yes. At the start of the game, the only region you can control is your home harbor.

Not to be too pedantic, but you control your home province. It is your ships in the harbor of that province that contribute to the defense of the province.

Just emphasizing the correct use of specific terms (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jayahre wrote:

Not to be too pedantic, but you control your home province. It is your ships in the harbor of that province that contribute to the defense of the province.

Sorry, yes this is correct.

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if the distinction comes into play in the game, but it might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

so control, then, also means you have your Province "marker/sticker" on anything you control?

for example, the home Province already has your Province marker/token on it to start the game
the islands, well, you might be there, but have not yet gained control and put one of your Province stickers on it

is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

so control, then, also means you have your Province "marker/sticker" on anything you control?

for example, the home Province already has your Province marker/token on it to start the game
the islands, well, you might be there, but have not yet gained control and put one of your Province stickers on it

is that correct?

The rules for controlling any region other than your home province aren't in the base rulebook. Are you asking for people to give you those rules now? They are not revealed at start, for a reason. If you disagree with that approach, I expect that if you wait someone might post the complete text of the rules so that you can read them before/without playing. But I'm not sure that belongs in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

no, thank you David

if the rules from the base rule book are that you only control your Province, I am fine with that

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a rule

if new rules come out later in which I may control other things, I can wait - no problem

and I don't expect someone to tell me the rules from future games that have not been written in the base rule book

thanks again David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
jayahre wrote:

Sorry, yes this is correct.

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if the distinction comes into play in the game, but it might.

Actually, it could make a difference for ship raiding. If you have two ships in your harbor, and an opponent raids one, can the other count as defending? If the harbor is "controlled", then the rules indicate that it can, but if the harbor isn't controlled, then the ships can't help each other -- unless the ship raiding rules (which I don't have access to, but the rules indicate the existence of) say otherwise.

On a similar note, if you have two ships in a deep sea space, and an opponent raids one, can the other count as defending, even though you don't control the region? (It feels to me as though it should work that way).

Edit:
You control your province (the only "region" you control at the start of the game). You also control your home harbor (the only "space" you control at the start of the game). Since you control you home harbor, ships would be able to defend each other there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Actually, it could make a difference for ship raiding. If you have two ships in your harbor, and an opponent raids one, can the other count as defending? If the harbor is "controlled", then the rules indicate that it can, but if the harbor isn't controlled, then the ships can't help each other -- unless the ship raiding rules (which I don't have access to, but the rules indicate the existence of) say otherwise.

On a similar note, if you have two ships in a deep sea space, and an opponent raids one, can the other count as defending, even though you don't control the region? (It feels to me as though it should work that way).

I know it's traditional on BGG to complain about the vagueness and oversights in the rules regardless of what they actually say, but it seems to me you're going to new lengths by complaining about the ambiguity in the rules you haven't even unlocked yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
The rules don't really address 'control' per se as to what constitutes controlling a region. Even after you open a particular box (2nd chest I believe) ...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... the rules don't even address who controls a colony. (Turns out it is who ever owns the colony and they continue control of said region into the next game if they end the game with that colony)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
The rules don't really address 'control' per se as to what constitutes controlling a region. Even after you open a particular box (2nd chest I believe) ...

... the rules don't even address who controls a colony. (Turns out it is who ever owns the colony and they continue control of said region into the next game if they end the game with that colony)

Actually they do.

Spoiler below.
This is listed in Rule 18. The sticker that talks about Colonies and Governors expressly says who owns the colony. It says who owns the card is the Governor, and that the Governor controls the sea space on the island where the colony is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

Spoiler

As for the raiding other ships, it is directly answered, when you unlock rule 16. It specifically talks about if either attacker or defender having a support ship. Also the example that is part of the rule should help.

Remember we have two distinct things happening here. 1) Support from additional ships. 2) Support for control. Both will modify the dice pools for raids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So back to my original question in this thread about support ships,

For game 1, I only control my Province and that is the only place I can use a support ship

Later in other games, I may be able to use a support ship for open sea raids (probably in same sea space I am assuming) and for some type of rule to help me IF I control a colony (per game rules at that time)

does this sound correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
mcs1213 wrote:
tjstack wrote:

Actually they do.

Spoiler below.
This is listed in Rule 18. The sticker that talks about Colonies and Governors expressly says who owns the colony. It says who owns the card is the Governor, and that the Governor controls the sea space on the island where the colony is located.

Thank you ... we just could not find that anywhere in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

thank you
all very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.