Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I have played many many war games from ASL to conflict of heroes.
I have absorbed hundreds of rule sets.
But for the life of me I cannot wrap my head around this.
I seem to have a mental block even without the command system.
Is it just me?.
I see the back of the box mocking me (medium complexity) and feel small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ek T
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm fairly new to wargames (a year and a half?) and boardgaming in general and was able to decipher how to play that game. (I also skipped the command rules.) I don't think it's the best rulebook in terms of explaining why or how you do stuff, but I think once you set up a game and start moving stuff around and practicing how spotting works, the game isn't too difficult.

Things make sense somehow. Like, for example, Area Fire versus Point Fire, and how when a squad is on its move side, its easier to spot.

Hope that helps. I actually like the game but was trying to solo it (to learn more about wargaming) and it wasn't working for me. However, I would have loved to play a real live person with the system. Even though it was a IGO-UGO system, I could see how interactive it could be with the spotting/opp fire rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

These videos explain TCS (link included for the first one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-3crGUhGs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Gary, can you hit me with the things that aren't making sense? I hope that there are at least a few things that are working for you! Movement?

Is it particular sub-systems, or more a question of how everything fits together? More about how to execute the mechanics, or about what the mechanics represent?

TCS can throw experienced gamers for a loop because a lot of the mechanics seem familiar at first glance, but have don't quite work the same.

If you go to the TCS family page and scroll down to the Linked Forums section, you can see all of the rules questions that have been asked about all of the games in the series. Unfortunately, more of the questions about the series rules have been asked in the game-specific forums, but at least you can get to them all from there ... Remember to open the topics in a new tab or a new window. Otherwise, you will get booted back to the first batch of linked topics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, watch the videos, and it seems like the TCS rules are a little unfriendly at first, but once you start playing they're very clear (not counting the command rules, which have to be a little fuzzy or else be crazily involved).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mb
Wow. I either fall asleep reading ASL rules or my head explodes,
then fall back on TCS.

Use 4.0 rules or better.
Setup can be tedious on some TCS titles.
Stick with SE for now mainly because you dont have to figure LOS.

When you're ready, play Omaha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all folks.
As always friendly and helpful responses.
I will check out the videos etc and try and zero in on my problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Omaha. funny guy. What a train wreck that module is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.