$30.00
David Procter
msg tools
Hi folks,

Me and 5 friends regularly get together for an evening's dinner & drinks. A few months ago one of the guys brought out CAH after dinner and whilst that became a staple game for a while, it is now getting a little stale so I'm looking for alternatives.

I bought Codenames and will bring that out when I host dinner later this month although was looking for suggestions from the BGG hivemind for any other games that may be suitable as I doubt we'll play Codenames all night.

We're all late 30's and our gaming appetite/experience ranges from miniature wargamer of 20+ years (me) to mostly disinterested (my Mrs) so it's a pretty broad spectrum that I need to keep entertained!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mafia de Cuba has been a hit with a lot of different people I have played it with. Its a great game if you are sitting around the table having drinks because you just pass the cigar box around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the top 50 or so on the party games list, that is a pretty good mix of light weight, high player count, fun for gamers games. Dixit, Tajemnicze Domostwo, BANG! The Dice Game, The Resistance, Sheriff of Nottingham, Tumblin-Dice, and tons more are in that range and are very satisfying for gamers (obviously for being top dogs on a gaming site) and very easy to teach or for new gamers to understand. You really can't go wrong with those first 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when I'm in those groups I tend to play to the lowest common denominator as my friends can really get into the game no matter how light it is. My latest successes have been
Anomia: Party Edition - like scattergories + spot it. does demand constant attention so not a relaxing setting to have other conversations over.
Wits & Wagers - I think its the best pick for a trivia game as you don't actually need to know anything and it still feels fair.
Sushi Go! - if you want more of a "game" but still should be easy enough for the non-gamers be willing to learn and play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the best party game is time's up. Another party game that would be good is one night ultimate werewolf.

For a non party game I would choose shadows over Camelot. We brought many non gamers into the hobby with this game. It is not hard but it has some fun choices. It is a coop but if you get tired of cooperating you can throw a traitor in there. You can play it where you can't talk or you can share full information. This will change the difficulty of the game and put it where you want it difficulty wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall/(A Fake Artist Goes to New York if you prefer drawing over talking)
Coup
Beyond Balderdash
The Resistance in any of its forms
Deep Sea Adventure
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
Diamonds

are all pretty good for 5 people and sitting around drinking and chatting while playing.
I would reall like to recommend Krazy Wordz for this one of these days, but somehow there is still no sign of an english version I could recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Stockpile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Dixit, it's so easy for non-gamers. Make sure the more experienced players go first so that everyone gets a good idea of how to play well in the first few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Botero
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the responses call for party games and that's a good starter but after 2-3 plays your friends would get tired of it. I had good experiences starting with Saboteur(light strategy, fun experience) or Werewolf but you need at least 7+ people. The next step could be
- Ticket to Ride
- Jamaica
- Catan
- Isla Dorada
They're easy enough for the newbies but have some strategy for the more experienced and will keep the game for 45 - 60 minutes and they can even be played twice, they're fun enough for girls to get involved without too much nerdness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Someone will be unhappy. Not every game is for everyone. Make sure that people who aren't playing have food, conversation areas separate from the game, etc. Find a general-interest game you and your friends like, and go with it. (Codenames would be my choice, but hey, that's me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend looking into Dixit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept is my go-to game for non-gamers and it has always gone over well. I find it is interesting enough for gamers and non-gamers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Balderdash(superior to Dixit), Cockroach Poker (WAY better than Sherriff of Nottingham), Spyfall (makes Werewolf/Resistance/all other social deduction games weep because they aren't nearly as good). All three of these have been EXTREMELY successful in providing hours of entertainment for both gamers and non-gamers that I've introduced them to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jamaica
+1 The Resistance
+1 Coup
+1 Sheriff of Nottingham
+1 Sushi Go!

What I would add:
Camel Up
This game is a Spiel de Jahres winner and for good reason. In a game of zany fun and probability, Camel Up is accessible for many ages, but enjoyed by all. It has plenty of "oh factor" moments and lots of laughter. There is definitely strategy in placing your bets and a lot of push-your-luck is involved. What I love is that my gaming group friends can come and play seriously, their wives can join in and play casually and a great time will be had by all. It often hits the table for us and is visually pleasing (especially with the pyramid dice tower).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would throw in Pit in to the mix! It really gets the blood going then wind it down with a not so rowdy game, or break them up in too two groups playing games like TTR or Kind Of Tokyo.

That is just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had luck with:
Wits & Wagers
Snake Oil
Dixit
The Resistance
Even Pandemic folks can team up if more than 4 players
Same for Gloom

I think I'm going to give Cockroach Poker a go for my family thanksgiving celebration. I hear it's fun with a mixed group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
You need to play Bohnanza. The only time I've ever heard of it falling flat is if folks turtle up and don't trade, but I'd never play with THOSE KINDS of people.

For the benefit of the OP (and all y'all who didn't suggest it already!), it's a card game, light in execution but possessed of real depth in decisions and interaction. You're collecting sets and turning them in for coins, and the one with the most coins at the end wins. It's an older game, but it's an absolute classic. If there were any justice in the world, every copy of Uno would magically transmogrify into Bohnanza, and there would be world peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I also vote for the suggestion of Camel Up. Fun with some good decisions to make. If you get the expansion, you can play with up to ten people!

How about Skull? Boils down to the essence of bluffing. Short and fast.

Pictomania is by the same guy who made Codenames. It is basically Pictionary, but with good rules. Very enjoyable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like too many games. She does like Shadows over Camelot. Six (or more) players make a interesting game. It's a cooperative game, although there could be a traitor among the knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up before and my opinion is that if the person who is the owner of a game being offered to play with "non-gamers" (I use this term in context of the Op's presentation of said term) I find that the more enthusiast they are about it the more likely "non-gamers" would be willing to play it and thus far be entertained by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
justrick wrote:
Spyfall (makes Werewolf/Resistance/all other social deduction games weep because they aren't nearly as good)

For us that has been the exact opposite. Tried Spyfall a few times, somewhat entertaining but didn't have a staying power, feels so much lighter game (which isn't bad in itself). Whereas Resistance can be very intense at times and so much more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.