$35.00
Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Full coop wargames: any advice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I know this might sound as a strange request, after all I suppose no IA can really replace a living (smart) opponent that want to win against you, but as I stated different times already I really like to play with friends cooperatively.

I found some older BGG thread on the argument but some years have passed and the situation have probably changed.

I found out about We Were Brothers but I haven't bought it yet.
That seems to be a miniature wargame that can be played fully cooperatively.

Are there any other games in this category that you would direct me to?
I don't really mind if there are no minis involved, actually I prefer chits.

Thanks in advance!
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach and Enemy Action: Ardennes both have rules for co-op play though I have tried neither cooperatively.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Ambush! would probably work well, if you split your units between you and your friend.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Ambush! would probably work well, if you split your units between you and your friend.


I've done this and it was a heck of a lot of fun. We also instituted a form of limited communication when the two groups got separated.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this will start a debate over the definition of wargame, but this co-op WWI game has received positive reviews, and it's super cheap.The Grizzled
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatepig wrote:
D-Day at Omaha Beach and Enemy Action: Ardennes both have rules for co-op play though I have tried neither cooperatively.

Enemy Action: Ardennes does not have rules for co-op play; it has rules for solitaire play and traditional 2-player competitive play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

I looked in your collection and see that you have Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45. Game designer Gregory M. Smith has said that one way you can play it co-op is one player takes the submarine, the other does all the die rolling for the escort. Play a patrol or campaign and then switch roles, and see who does better.

As others have mentioned, D-Day at Omaha Beach would be a good choice, and the game has ideas on how to do it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:

It has a couple of 1-player solitaire scenarios, as well as various traditional competitive scenarios. I don't see any mention of coop in it...


I suppose if OP is willing to improvise their own homebrew coop for a solitaire wargame to have several players play various parts of the single human player in a solitaire game, then they can just look at the many various lists of solitaire wargames.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

It has a couple of 1-player solitaire scenarios, as well as various traditional competitive scenarios. I don't see any mention of coop in it...


I suppose if OP is willing to improvise their own homebrew coop for a solitaire wargame to have several players play various parts of the single human player in a solitaire game, then they can just look at the many various lists of solitaire wargames.


There's a co-op Doomsday Machine scenario. Maybe in the expansion?

There are co-op Doomsday Machine and Alien Player scenarios in the expansion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Hatepig wrote:
D-Day at Omaha Beach and Enemy Action: Ardennes both have rules for co-op play though I have tried neither cooperatively.

Enemy Action: Ardennes does not have rules for co-op play; it has rules for solitaire play and traditional 2-player competitive play.


My mistake. I thought I read something about each player controlling a division. Maybe that's just something I made up in my head as I was reading the rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DVG's Warfighter is designed for coop play.
Fun game too.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: all of the mentioned titles are already in my radar but I've always been on the fence and not bought any yet

Yes, I suppose I could homebrew something from a solitaire game but if it exist something "designed" from the start to be coop I think the overall experience could be better

Silent Victory is a game I like, a bit too relying on luck, but I feel it tells a story everytime I set out on patrol!
That said, the multiplayer rules are not coop; there is not interaction between the players and they're also competing for score.

Ambush! seems something I could really like, a lot of people keep recalling that game and that's the best possible review I can think of
It's a shame it's so difficult to find.

EDIT: Because while writing other people posted
I already have everything about Warfighter and backed for evrything of the new WWII edition

Now that I think about that homebrew discussion, conflict of heroes against AI, if I split forced with a friend, could work.
Even though Ambush! seems to have that rpg vibe that really strikes home with me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barthheart wrote:
DVG's Warfighter is designed for coop play.
Fun game too.


I'll second Warfighter as an excellent fully co-operative game. It's actually designed to be played cooperatively, unlike some of the other suggestions, which kind of have to be 'tweaked' to play as a co-op.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
russ wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

It has a couple of 1-player solitaire scenarios, as well as various traditional competitive scenarios. I don't see any mention of coop in it...


I suppose if OP is willing to improvise their own homebrew coop for a solitaire wargame to have several players play various parts of the single human player in a solitaire game, then they can just look at the many various lists of solitaire wargames.


There's a co-op Doomsday Machine scenario. Maybe in the expansion?

There are co-op Doomsday Machine and Alien Player scenarios in the expansion.


Yes, sorry for not being more specific; Space Empires: 4X and its expansion have sort of homogeneously blended together into my head as a creamy and dark starry stew of science fiction delight.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
russ wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

It has a couple of 1-player solitaire scenarios, as well as various traditional competitive scenarios. I don't see any mention of coop in it...


I suppose if OP is willing to improvise their own homebrew coop for a solitaire wargame to have several players play various parts of the single human player in a solitaire game, then they can just look at the many various lists of solitaire wargames.


There's a co-op Doomsday Machine scenario. Maybe in the expansion?

There are co-op Doomsday Machine and Alien Player scenarios in the expansion.


Yes, sorry for not being more specific; Space Empires: 4X and its expansion have sort of homogeneously blended together into my head as a creamy and dark starry stew of science fiction delight.
And I don't see much of a problem with playing the co-op scenarios using just parts from the base game. Some adjustment might be needed, but for the doomsday scenario it should be very little.
The set up can be found in the playbook for CE uploaded here on BGG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
The combination of Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse from Victory Point Games makes a perfect coop and really enjoyable too. In fact the two are solo games but included in Hapsburg Eclipse are rules to combine the both.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
The combination of Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse from Victory Point Games makes a perfect coop and really enjoyable too. In fact the two are solo games but included in Hapsburg Eclipse are rules to combine the both.


Are you saying that one player would play Ottoman Sunset while the other player played Hapsburg Eclipse, and you combine your scores? I don't know the rules for combining them, but that doesn't really seem co-op unless the rules integrate them such that the decisions one player make affect the dynamics in the other game and vice versa.

Anyone played D-Day Dice 2-player and could comment on it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Are you saying that one player would play Ottoman Sunset while the other player played Hapsburg Eclipse, and you combine your scores? I don't know the rules for combining them, but that doesn't really seem co-op unless the rules integrate them such that the decisions one player make affect the dynamics in the other game and vice versa.

It is exactly thus: there are additional rules for linking the 2 games such that one can influence the other. (But I have not tried it yet.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Are you saying that one player would play Ottoman Sunset while the other player played Hapsburg Eclipse, and you combine your scores? I don't know the rules for combining them, but that doesn't really seem co-op unless the rules integrate them such that the decisions one player make affect the dynamics in the other game and vice versa.

It is exactly thus: there are additional rules for linking the 2 games such that one can influence the other. (But I have not tried it yet.)
It is as Russ eplains. One player plays the Ottomans while the other player plays the Austro-Hungarians. On some occasions and under certain conditions both player can give aid to each other. Players are mainly concerned with their own thing but events on one player's map can have a great influence on the other player's map. Giving aid to the other player on the right moment can decide the outcome on both players maps. Both players have their own scoring track and outcomes are not shared. In case one of the players is defeated the other player can go on but will have a very hard time. Deciding when and where to give aid and the sharing of some positive DRM's makes the combination of OS and HE imho a real coop. But opinions may differ.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider STAR TREK PANIC a wargame? Totally co-operative....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbur Whateley
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.
badge
Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate.
mbmbmbmbmb


is a solitaire wargame with co-op rules for two players.

I've done it. It works well.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:
The combination of Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse from Victory Point Games makes a perfect coop and really enjoyable too. In fact the two are solo games but included in Hapsburg Eclipse are rules to combine the both.


Are you saying that one player would play Ottoman Sunset while the other player played Hapsburg Eclipse, and you combine your scores? I don't know the rules for combining them, but that doesn't really seem co-op unless the rules integrate them such that the decisions one player make affect the dynamics in the other game and vice versa.

Anyone played D-Day Dice 2-player and could comment on it?

D-Day Dice is quite fun as a 2 player co-op. I actually played it that way for the first 15-20 games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations and there are rules for combining that game with Thunderbolt Apache Leader but IIRC there is not a great interaction between the players.

I shall investigate on the co-op rules on TAL though!

On the other hand, if the combination of Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse present some nice collaboration and interaction as you say, it could be worthwhile
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern War Magazine issue #4 includes Six Day War: 1967, a 2-player cooperative game where both players control IDF forces. One player commands the Syrian front, while the other player leads the Egyptian front. The winner is the player who is most successful at achieving the goals for his front.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.