5 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terran Empire Sulu effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Framarin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first time playing a deck builder and I know the rules for this one are sorely lacking. Between the posts here and some videos, I believe I have most of them sorted, though.

I was playing a solo game the other night to test it out and came across a card I don't understand. It is the Terran Empire Sulu card, whose effect reads something like:

'Choose an opponent. Their ship sustains 2 damage unless they gain an Ensign.'

If it's not your opponent's turn, how can they gain an Ensign to prevent this damage? Does this damage instead apply at the end of their turn if they haven't purchased an Ensign?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect occurs when you play Sulu on the bridge. The chosen opponent takes 2 damage (his ship), or he can choose instead to take an Ensign from the Ensign stack and put it into his discard pile. I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Framarin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes perfect sense. Where I was getting confused was the word 'gain.' The rules (pg.15) say 'When you buy a card you gain it.' To me, that makes it sound like gain always means buy. I think the card should say 'or draw an Ensign.' The way the different terms are used in the rules is very confusing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vern1980 wrote:
To me, that makes it sound like gain always means buy.

No, when you buy a card you gain it. However, there are many ways to gain a card.

Like in some other games, when you play a card, you discard it. That doesn't mean that the only way to discard a card, is to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kurgas
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification. My friends and I just started playing the game but hadn't had a chance to use the TE Sulu in play yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.