Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well since its an Indy company run out of someones house. I believe it is an actual question. He was actually wondering what you were looking for. Don in all likelihood is going to get your game, pack it himself and take it to the post office. Which isn't open until Monday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ftstudent wrote:
Well.. I've bought 1 copy of Forged in steel last saturday from their website and wasn't sure whether they will give me a tracking number or not. And there were even no notification about my purchase but only paypal withdrawal.
So I asked them if i could get a tracking number and got an answer.

Above is the part of their answer and I felt it's nuiance is a bit offensive regarding it was for customer service question.
Maybe I shouldnt sent them an email on Monday or with my poor english.

Just hopes the game itself would be great.

Please understand that I was simply asking a question. I am working a full-time job during the week while handling the fulfillment for 1,000s of games as a game publisher on the side.

For reference, my entire reply is below. By leaving off the last portion of my email it makes it look like the response was short or rude. But, that was not intended, I apologize if that is what it sounded like.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hello,
You ordered this on Saturday and it is Monday morning? Were you asking for us to send you the notification when it ships or were you wondering why you had not received it yet? :-)

Funagain Games handles all of our US fulfillment and they send out shipping notifications when orders go out. You should receive that later today or tomorrow. Thank you for the order and I hope you have a great week!

Kind regards,
Don
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is one of those examples that show how poor text / email is for communications. It's easy to get a wrong impression.

From the requestor/buyer it could be perceived that he's pushing to get a tracking number right away which doesn's seem to be the case, he just wonders if he'd get a tracking ref.

From the seller pov, it looks like he's taking it the unintended way and the first part, ie the question "you ordered ..." can be taken as slightly offensive.

So yeah. .. looks like feelings are difficult to transfer over text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
I guess this is one of those examples that show how poor text / email is for communications. It's easy to get a wrong impression.

Almost 20 years ago, I worked as a Help Desk technician for Gateway Computers. It was not rare to receive the occasional call where the customer states, "My computer is not working." Something like that prompts a lot of questions and a long dialogue between the customer and the person handling the request. Now that I work as a Software Engineer, I have to understand and respond to similar customer questions along those same lines.

I am sure other publishers can back me up on this, but it is not unusual to receive 4-5 word questions that request assistance. What may seem like a normal question can turn into something that is entirely misunderstood. I still receive the occasional, "I am missing X token.", through our Contact Us form on our site. That sort of 5 word request leaves me with a lot of questions.

This specific issue would have turned out much differently if the request was something like, "Will I be receiving a tracking number for this when it ships?"

I would hope that people who follow my Kickstarter updates and replies to questions on BGG know that I am a polite and considerate person. This is not something that can be communicated easily in an email, though. This is why I use things like a smiley face at the end of a question. I also thanked the customer for the order and followed up with hoping Jinha had a great week.

I hope that the overall context and perception of any response I give to a customer is considered to be honest and sincere. I would only ask that customers that have issues, or requests, give as much information as possible to the company assisting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:
Well since its an Indy company run out of someones house. I believe it is an actual question. He was actually wondering what you were looking for. Don in all likelihood is going to get your game, pack it himself and take it to the post office. Which isn't open until Monday morning.

OMG!

I agree. It is a simple question so that Don can give the answer you want.

I have communicated with Don and am impressed with him as a person as I am with the quality of the games he produces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.