Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Chimera Station» Forums » General

Subject: Stretch goal request: 5+ players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the Bower's Game Corner review, I agree with him that I routinely get more than 4 players to the table, and nobody seems to want to split up and play multiple games.

So I'm putting in the request now: please, please consider adding "materials for a 5th player" as a stretch goal for this game. 5 seems to be the most common "sweet spot" for our game table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
After watching the Bower's Game Corner review, I agree with him that I routinely get more than 4 players to the table, and nobody seems to want to split up and play multiple games.

So I'm putting in the request now: please, please consider adding "materials for a 5th player" as a stretch goal for this game. 5 seems to be the most common "sweet spot" for our game table.

I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I am not sure that will be possible... the game was not developed for 5 players, and I think it would really start to drag and take a long time with 5.

I'll ask the designer if he has any ideas for adding a 5th player.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I am not sure that will be possible... the game was not developed for 5 players, and I think it would really start to drag and take a long time with 5.

I'll ask the designer if he has any ideas for adding a 5th player.
I figured "downtime drag" would be the primary argument against it, but it couldn't hurt to ask. And at least now it's on Mark's radar as something that people might want. Thanks Seth!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on this. Otherwise I will probably have to pass on such a cool game because it'd never hit the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: 5-player stretch goal / add on
This may or may not happen. And we're all going into this with our eyes open, recognizing that increasing player count will increase not only total play time, but also down time.

But let's at least present the designer (and Seth and the rest of the TMG crew) with some hard numbers.
How would you feel about a 5-player option as a STRETCH GOAL for Chimera Station?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I won't back the game without it
11.4% 5
It would be really nice, but not 100% mandatory
38.6% 17
I don't really care one way or the other
20.5% 9
I will never play this with more than 4, please make it an add-on
20.5% 9
I won't back the game if this stretch goal is met
6.8% 3
I won't back the game if this stretch goal is even offered
0.0% 0
Other (please comment)
2.3% 1
Voters 44
How much would you pay to have a 5-player option as an ADD-ON for Chimera Station? (For reference, the base game with all stretch goals is a $60 pledge.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I won't back the game unless this is included as a stretch goal; I won't pay extra for it
4.5% 2
No number is too high; I won't back the game unless this is included, but I will pay for it
2.3% 1
$20
0.0% 0
$15
9.1% 4
$10
20.5% 9
$5
9.1% 4
I have no need for this, so I won't pay for it
52.3% 23
Other (please comment)
2.3% 1
Voters 44
This poll is now closed.   44 answers
Poll created by ryudoowaru
Closes: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:00 am
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have a solo mode stretch goal
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
After watching the Bower's Game Corner review, I agree with him that I routinely get more than 4 players to the table, and nobody seems to want to split up and play multiple games.

So I'm putting in the request now: please, please consider adding "materials for a 5th player" as a stretch goal for this game. 5 seems to be the most common "sweet spot" for our game table.

I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I am not sure that will be possible... the game was not developed for 5 players, and I think it would really start to drag and take a long time with 5.

I'll ask the designer if he has any ideas for adding a 5th player.

I don't want to crush anybody's dreams, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a 5-player add-on or stretch goal if I were you.

Adding a 5th player to this game would involve not only finessing worker and action space numbers, but also it would need to find a way to keep the players involved for the additional down time, and it's a given the game would take longer.

I hesitate to even want to include 5th player components because players have a tendency to play with the maximum player count, and that could easily lead to a lot of bad 1st game experiences.

But even if we wanted to, that might not be the type of thing that can be designed and developed to our satisfaction in the 1 month this kickstarter will be live, and we're not going to delay production to add content like that.

Perhaps the best way to add a 5th player is to encourage a fan-made expansion, like the fan made 5th player expansion for Goa. I think I even tried that once!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
I don't want to crush anybody's dreams, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a 5-player add-on or stretch goal if I were you.
Fair enough. As always, your open communication is appreciated. And hey, at least this way you'll have some data in case it does become relevant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I enjoy games offering higher player counts, I am very much against such fundamental last-minute additions/changes to games. This game has been developed and playtested as a 2-4 player game. That's just the way it is. You cannot simply add playing pieces for a 5th player and hope that a game still works well.

BTW: If you are looking for a good multi-player game, I can highly recommend Scoville. It gets a lot of playing time in our group just because it works so extremely well for up to six players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MetalPirate wrote:
While I enjoy games offering higher player counts, I am very much against such fundamental last-minute additions/changes to games. This game has been developed and playtested as a 2-4 player game. That's just the way it is. You cannot simply add playing pieces for a 5th player and hope that a game still works well.

BTW: If you are looking for a good multi-player game, I can highly recommend Scoville. It gets a lot of playing time in our group just because it works so extremely well for up to six players.

Indeed, TMG has a number of good big box titles for 5 (Captains if Industry, Belfort), 6 (Scoville, Ground Floor), and even 7 players (Kings of Air and Steam)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Neri
Italy
Livorno
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Neri
Avatar
mbmbmb
I don't care about stretch goal type, if they worth i buy, else i take the non deluxe pledge.

Anyway, a better parcel for deluxe edition is a stupid idea, maybe thinked to justify the price difference. Anyone need to have an appropriate parcel that garantee the integrity of the game (deluxe or not)!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the poll, but as someone who actively avoids playing games with 5 I'd MUCH rather money go into additional/improved components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.