1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Werewolf Writing Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
This is a mostly-friendly competition, designed to encourage people to practice their writing skills.

Over the weekend, each 'player' will submit via GM or modchat a single writing prompt. The deadline for this submission is 5:00 PM on Monday. These can be developed spontaneously or taken from https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/ (or other similar sites). The moderator will random out 3 prompts from all prompts given and post them Monday afternoon.

Participants will select one of the prompts to write about. They will have until Friday lunch (12:00) to GM their entry to the mod. GM will post all stories as soon as all stories are submitted. Players are under no requirement to write every week. Story submissions are meant to be 'short story' format and consumable in a single sitting. Unless otherwise noted, there is no minimum or maximum length requirement.

Anyone that is following along may provide scores for the provided stories via GM to the mod. Scores will only be accepted in a "1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place"-type method. Points are due to the mod NLT 4 PM on Monday.

Draft timeline:

Friday: 1200: Stories due
Friday, ASAP: Stories posted
Monday: 1600: Points totaled, announced
Monday: 1700: New writing prompts chosen

Points are only for bragging rights and provide no practical benefit. Points will be assigned based on how many places each judge gives. For example: Player A gives a 1st place and a 2nd place. Their first place will get two points; their second place will get one. Player B gives 1st through 5th. Their 1st place will be awarded 5 points and it'll go from there.

If non-competitors provide scores, their point totals will be halved before awarding.

Only the top three scoring stories will be identified.

Players may join after the game starts - just GM the mod.

I can't enforce this, but I can state / ask clearly: If you are not participating, then keep any negative feedback to yourself. We don't want to hear it. Positive feedback or nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Round one:
Writing prompts:
A.
B.

Story submissions:
A.
B.

Round two:
Writing prompts:
A.
B.

Story submissions:
A.
B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
linguistfromhell wrote:
Saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
elias5891
FaleohFang
GaiusJC
gelrod
janiera
LudesFactor
Phelanpt
Rhanddom
TFang

9 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1637...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
You should try asking for my number.
badge
The second life isn't like the first one, is it?
mbmbmb
Oh, I didn't realize it was a judged thing. I'm out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
The points are only for feedback purposes. It isn't like previous writing competitions where there were actual stakes. There aren't any winners or losers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apocaloctopus
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just streamed my consciousness at Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do this if I was not going to be out of pocket for a week starting Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord of Christmas Cheer

a Village
North Pole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I would do this if I was not going to be out of pocket for a week starting Saturday.
Hi, twomil! Apologies for being incredibly vague here, but this reminds me that you tossed around a story idea a couple years ago that did inspire me and I've thought of some more specific ways I'd like to see it implemented. I'm not sure if I'll have time or energy to do it justice any time soon, or whether I'd be able to share it if I did--at the moment the character archetypes might be a bit too close to home to post publically without incriminating the innocent, or, in some cases, the guilty but know that it's still much appreciated, so many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
twomillionbucks wrote:

linguistfromhell wrote:
Players are under no requirement to write every week.
linguistfromhell wrote:

No reason not to join up. You won't be booted for being gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
WW Secret Santa wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
Hi, twomil! Apologies for being incredibly vague here, but this reminds me that you tossed around a story idea a couple years ago that did inspire me and I've thought of some more specific ways I'd like to see it implemented. I'm not sure if I'll have time or energy to do it justice any time soon, or whether I'd be able to share it if I did--at the moment the character archetypes might be a bit too close to home to post publically without incriminating the innocent, or, in some cases, the guilty but know that it's still much appreciated, so many thanks.

Lol, glad to help.

Now I'm struggling to remember the story. If you're trying to be anonymous, maybe send me a PM with your real account?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

linguistfromhell wrote:
Players are under no requirement to write every week.
linguistfromhell wrote:

No reason not to join up. You won't be booted for being gone.

OH NO MY BLUFF HAS BEEN CALLED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long will this go on for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Until participation feels crappy, probably. Whether that's through voluntary withdrawal or just a few weeks of only one or two stories is arbitrary.

'Course, everyone could decide on some kind of point total to reach, and we could have a "winner", but I'm not really in favor of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like giving out points for reals and having a winner. But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Shrug. If the majority is cool with that, we can do that instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
badge
If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently.
mbmbmbmb
I love the idea ling. Thanks for doing it. I'm fine either way on scoring, though self conscious types might not want to participate if there are winners and losers.

Plus I don't want two mil, King of Theme, to be upset when I make his stories look like tumblr posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
I love the idea ling. Thanks for doing it. I'm fine either way on scoring, though self conscious types might not want to participate if there are winners and losers.

Plus I don't want two mil, King of Theme, to be upset when I make his stories look like tumblr posts.

Okay, first off, nobody but Ape is allowed to use that avatar. Second of all, some Tumblr posts are pretty awesome. Third, WHAT DID YOU SAY IS THAT A CHALLENGE BRING IT ON UGLY MAN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
twomillionbucks wrote:
gelrod wrote:

Okay, first off, nobody but Ape is allowed to use that avatar. Second of all, some Tumblr posts are pretty awesome. Third, WHAT DID YOU SAY IS THAT A CHALLENGE BRING IT ON UGLY MAN.

Your reaction would have more oomph to it if you were, what's the phrase ... 'Signed up" ..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
linguistfromhell wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
gelrod wrote:

Your reaction would have more oomph to it if you were, what's the phrase ... 'Signed up" ..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will fear the blank page on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliott A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle

Really though, just excited about this prospect again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Sorry, the last few days have seen critical fails on my constitution checks. Head and sinuses have been merciless. Feeling slightly better now; will re-engage probably tomorrow, NLT Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliott A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Sorry, the last few days have seen critical fails on my constitution checks. Head and sinuses have been merciless. Feeling slightly better now; will re-engage probably tomorrow, NLT Friday.

No worries. Glad you are on the mend. Keep yourself healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Oh, I didn't realize it was a judged thing. I'm out.
linguistfromhell wrote:
The points are only for feedback purposes. It isn't like previous writing competitions where there were actual stakes. There aren't any winners or losers.
I wanted to weigh in on this earlier, but forgot: I'm not in it at all for the competition, and may be bad with the judging part, I'm mostly in it to push myself to write again.
And I like sharing writing with you all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.