Popular Tags: [View All]
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting under RotM, cuz that's what I'm playing now. And there might be general SCS relevance herein. This is my introduction to the system.

Also, I'm playing just the first six-turn Battle Scenario 7.1.

1. Refitting plane requires 'greater or equal' on dice. Replenishing HQ requires 'greater' on dice. I don't dig that from a memory/gameplay perspective. But I guess those are the breaks ... and that it's probably a "realistic" choice?

2. Supply is traced by hexes not MP. I'm assuming that the practice is solely for playability in what hardcore wargamers consider a beer & pretzels joint and that the more complex games (OCS and such) use MP?

3. The Turn Record Track lists "REPL" for default Replacement Points (when not specified by scenario). A tiny bit confusing for a bit, given "replenish" also begins with those letters!

4. Based on a limited countermix I'm not bothered by the regimental breakdown stuff. Seems a little gamey at first glance, but when I considered the implications, my completely uninformed opinion decided that it would make sense to divide a large force into smaller forces for expanded coverage in a real world situation. Is this at all how it goes?

5. Can French Regiments assemble into any Infantry Division (given the STR and DEF limitations) from the pool? Assuming so at this point.

6. When movement/overruns are finished up and the Combat Phase begins, does the phasing player have to declare ALL combats and their details immediately, or is the first combat and its details (shifts, planes, etc) declared, possibly intercepted, and resolved BEFORE the next combat is declared? I'm guessing that combats are declared and resolved one by one and in any order desired by the attacker. Otherwise, yikes! There are several implications there. Is the random HQ replenishment the main mechanic used to limit player omniscience and create some command confusion or whatever it's called?

7. I don't like the MMP contact info displayed on the map margin. Jarring. Otherwise, awesome map!

8. I checked out the errata link for the various SCS games. Awesome heads up from the gamer community.

9. It looks like Attack Supply doesn't involve tracing a line - it simply looks at hex range from corps HQ. EZOCs don't affect Attack Supply, correct? So, a unit in Trace Supply gets surrounded on the enemy's turn and can then attack when the unit's turn comes up again, because Trace Supply is checked after combat ... if I got that right.

Thanks.

And can you tell I'm still a wargaming infant?

[edit: added another question]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, correct me if I'm way off target ... but is there ANY chance at all for the Allies to win the 7.1 Battle Scenario? Like, ANY chance? I could certainly see an Allied win if the city and two villages were the only victory point hexes, but the trench occupation points (given the nine stormtrooper regiments available and the ability to leave and reenter EZOCs in SCS) are kinda gimmies.

I'm taking into account that retreat results are halved for entrenched defenders, the limited German HQ combat shifts available during the first turns of the scenario, and the three Allied reinforcements. The planes are a wash, given the equality between sides.

Certainly the Allies are on the defensive, hard, in this scenario - further supported by their extremely limited Attack Supply. Still surprising to me that such a blowout is looming (I'm starting Turn Three).

Foregone conclusion that the battle scenario(s) is (are) imbalanced as all hell for historicity? Or am I a sad sack Allies player?

Thanks.

[edit: reading Dan's session reports - one for the Germans, one for the Allies, guess it's entirely doable]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I just finished playing through a campaign game of this (solo) last week. Here are some thoughts and comments in response to yours.

1. Honestly, in my recent playing I completely missed this. That is unfortunate that the aircraft are 'greater or equal' and the HQs are just 'greater'. Then again, reading the errata - it says that same HQ number and roll method applies to aircraft, makes me wonder if both should be 'greater or equal'. Or maybe I'm just rationalizing it, because that's the way I played. It's probably worth a question to Dean.

2. Only my guess here, but yes, I would assume the supply trace by hexes is for ease of play. I did find that it was a little uncomfortable for me too, especially in the rough/forest/lake areas around the Marne River.

3. Ha. I didn't even notice that either.

4. Yes, the breakdowns are an interesting mechanic in this game. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I spent a lot of time and effort on figuring the best places for combining and breaking down my units in my solo game. It seems like that is the key to wining the attrition war. But should it be?

5. Yes, I believe so. Any French Infantry Division that is.

6. Declared and resolved one by one. That's universal for the SCS system.

7. I didn't even notice the MMP info. But that's good you like the look of the map, there's plenty more throughout the Gamer's Series.

8. Yes. the Gamers Archive (and support) are excellent!

9. You have me second guessing myself on this one, but I believe you DO need to trace a supply line in order to have attack supply and that enemy units and EZOC do block that path (unless the EZOC is negated by a friendly unit).

Enjoy,
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for addressing all of those points, Dan. Pro move!

SCS Series Rules, ver 1.7 clearly states that all attacks do not need to be declared in advance (7.0 Combat). I am a chump and missed that - but assumed correctly. Breaking even on that one.

As far as needing to "trace" supply for attacking as opposed to simply counting hexes, obstructed or not, the RotM rulebook's section on Attack Supply doesn't explicitly address the trace issue as clearly as I wanted, I guess ... but the discussion of overrunning units (specifically) needing "to trace supply ... at the moment of the overrun" is as close as it gets. And that's fine by me. Also, common sense says to me that you're spot on with that call.

Just set up the Ardre Valley scenario. Only uses 36 hexes of the map. About the size of my phone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also noticed that my old images were somehow lost through time and the internet on my old session reports. I've filled them in on that one, now I need to find the time to fill them in on some of the others.

It is quite a contrast between the two games I played back in 2011. The Allies were able to win because the Germans destroyed themselves trying to go after the Allies. Not many units left on the map!

Attacking is painful in this game, especially if you're not using your breakdown units.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played Battle Scenario 7.4 in the Ardre Valley. Looked like it would be pretty lackluster given the tiny map area to be used. I thought the few opportunities for maneuver wouldn't make for a good game.

Nope.

Grand old time. The terrain, units used, and single victory hex made for a dramatic and tense session with a big swing from an early slaughtering of the French to a German defense made up of only three machine gun companies during the final turn. Came down to needing the refit and replenish rolls AND a roll of 9+ during the victory hex assault. Everything came up roses for the Allies right at the end.

Would have been a chance for the final turn's armor reinforcement to hit the hex during Exploit, except I blocked its path with a four-brigade stack of Brits. Oops. Luckily, the above rolls were all successful, and the missing tanks weren't important.

So, for rules questions, here's what I got:

1. Stormtroopers (or what is represented by those counters in this scenario) do not go to the dead pile. Machine Guns do. There are no other German units that leave the map (except potential temporarily missing hqs). During Replacement the priority goes to the dead pile. Before bringing Stormtroopers back from the pool OR rebuilding on-map units OR refitting planes, the dead pool must be empty. In this scenario that implies machine gun companies have priority unless I'm mistaken.

Weird to HAVE to choose machine guns as my one replacement every turn that it was applicable. But all of those combat shifts WERE pretty nifty.

2. HQs trace supply to certain map edges. Does this work the same way in a small scenario like 7.4? Because it seems possible ... and cheesy ... to block a few northern hexes to cut off all German supply. Wouldn't be easy, but possible. I suppose the German player just can't let that happen ...

Good stuff, this RotM thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.