$30.00
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Third Crossover pack for the D.C. Comics deckbuilding game, Legion of Super Heroes adds 14 new cards for the main deck, 6 new hero cards, and 8 supervillains. I’m not a DC Fanboy so I honestly have no idea who any of these heroes are, but the expansion comes in at $10. Is it worth it, or is it better to leave these heroes on their own?

Here is a picture of some of the cards in the expansion thanks to BenJAzz

This crossover pack adds a new mechanic to the game that fuels the entire expansion. All of the cards either have the Time Travel ability or reference it. When a card with the Time Travel keyword is in the lineup, you can discard a card from your hand to play it. You cannot buy it during this round, but it gives you great options of things to do with your vulnerabilities, punches, and weaknesses. I like the Time Travel mechanic. It gives you different options during you turn, and it really speeds up the beginning of the game. It also adds a little strategic depth to the game, forcing you to decide if you want to use this handy time travel card to get a more expensive card this round, or if you want to deny your opponent access to it and buy it yourself. Nothing crazy, but it does make choices a little more interesting. I wish more cards had this mechanic, and that it wasn’t contained in this simple 14 card main deck ability.

The heroes all reference the Time Travel ability. One of them gives you +1 power for each different Time Travel card you play, others give additional cards the time travel ability if you play a specific card (i.e., play a villain as your first card, pick a card that costs 4 or less in the lineup and give it Time Travel this turn), and others let you pull Time Travel cards from your discard pile. The heroes all revolve around the time travel mechanic and that adds variety to the heroes in the game. I personally have no idea who any of them are and we definitely don't use them when we are teaching new people the game. They mostly sit in the box for us, but based on the comments below I will be revisiting them to see if my opinion of them changes as we play with them more.

The new cards are interesting, giving you different abilities, but there is nothing crazy here. There is a location that lets you draw a card the first time you play a time travel card, villains that you can play for +2 power, a card that lets you destroy a card in your hand, and a couple defense cards (which you cannot trigger from the line-up if it is not your turn). The cards are interesting, but struggle from sheer lack of numbers. Only having 14 cards really dilutes your odds of drawing them during a game, especially during a crisis game or a game where you have mixed multiple base sets together.

The one thing that this game really brings to the table are the villains. Each of the 8 villains has the Time Travel keyword, meaning you can play them for their attacks on your turn if they are face up on the villain stack. Effects vary from discard cards, to putting cards that cost 1 or greater under your superhero, to destroying the top card of your deck. This villains are insane. The rules mentions that they are impossible mode for the game, and that is 100% true. Frequently you are down 2 or 3 cards in your hand in a 4 player game, or destroying your deck at an insane rate, or all sorts of other issues. This is great, but it also makes the game a lot longer. In a 4 player game the defense cards are usually spread out between the players, and you don’t have enough to block all the attacks, so you are running with less cards in your hand, or a smaller deck, etc, and can’t really get anything going. We’ve even had games where no one could generate enough power in their deck to buy the last villain, and a game where my entire deck was three cards at the end of the game. I like the villains here, but they are really not made for a larger game because they make the game really drag. DC is a short, 30-45 minute long game, not a 2 hour slog while everyone keeps destroying the top card of your deck to slow you down. I don’t mind playing with 2 players, and 3 is ok, but anything over that really drags the game down. These villains are great though, and mix in with the normal villains as well, so you can run a good game with a mixture of the villains from the two sets.

Final Thoughts:
Legion of Super Heroes feels like a jilted idea. I really like the Time Travel mechanic. It speeds the game up in the beginning and helps to equalize the playing field if a powerful card comes out early. However, the limited amount of cards that carry it (14 in the main deck and 8 villains) really make its impact limited. You usually only see 4-5 time travel cards in the lineup in the average game, and the villains can make or break your gaming night. My biggest complaint is that the villains can really drag the game out and the limited use of many of the hero powers. If you don’t get any time travel cards, you won’t be able to use 5 of the hero powers, and with such a small, limited pool to draw from there’s a good chance you won’t get one all day. There is too much riding on your hero powers to help you win the game to only trigger the power maybe once a game. All in all, I would recommend getting this expansion only if you are interested in the villain mode. There is not enough to recommend getting this for the main deck/hero cards, and we usually just shuffle the time travel cards into the main deck of whatever version we are playing while leaving the heroes in the box and only pulling out the villains if we want to slog it out. I wish that Time Travel was used on more cards, and I want it to be used in the future, but I don’t think it will, which is sad. It’s a great ability, and I would EASILY trade it for the Victory Point idea in Forever Evil or the Ongoing abilities in Teen Titans.

Here's a link to my other reviews: Reviews by Mil05006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nice review!

I think you might want to look at the Super Heroes again. Most of them do not require you to have Time Travel cards. Instead, three of them actually give the Time Travel keyword to cards in the Line-Up.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is true for some of the heroes, others of them still reference the time travel card abilities. The only heroes we actually use when we aren't using this expansion are the 3 heroes that have this ability because they can grant time travel. I will adjust my review to reflect that comment.

Matt Hyra wrote:
Nice review!

I think you might want to look at the Super Heroes again. Most of them do not require you to have Time Travel cards. Instead, three of them actually give the Time Travel keyword to cards in the Line-Up.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
While this is true for some of the heroes, others of them still reference the time travel card abilities. The only heroes we actually use when we aren't using this expansion are the 3 heroes that have this ability because they can grant time travel. I will adjust my review to reflect that comment.

This is still not completely accurate. 4 of the 6 Super Heroes give cards the Time Travel ability, so it doesn't matter to them if a Time Travel card ever shows up. Brainiac 5 does more with Time Travel cards, but still can be used without any. Phantom Girl is the ONLY Super Hero that does nothing if no Time Travel cards show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
nekobat wrote:
Phantom Girl is the ONLY Super Hero that does nothing if no Time Travel cards show up.

But with 7 of the 8 Super-Villains having Time Travel, she can at least get +1 Power every turn for very little effort.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, and we commonly use her with this play in mind, though we don't use her if we are going using random heroes and non-time travel villains. She is essentially worthless there.

I will use these heroes again in the future and will make additional comments after I play them more. Maybe I just misunderstood them. I have changed my comments to strictly talking about what they do instead of leaving an opinion on what I think about them.

Matt Hyra wrote:
nekobat wrote:
Phantom Girl is the ONLY Super Hero that does nothing if no Time Travel cards show up.

But with 7 of the 8 Super-Villains having Time Travel, she can at least get +1 Power every turn for very little effort.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.