Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Incantris» Forums » General

Subject: Reminds me of Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters... but, not good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
When I saw this game up on kickstarter, I was immediately reminded of Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters.

Although the minis will probably look better than the ones found in Yashima, the terrain is just... awful. I already didn't like the one from Yashima, but this one... it's just... bland. Bland green with some rivers and roads? Seriously guys, the terrain is beyond boring to look at.

Then, the rulebook. I skimmed through it and found inconsistencies and grammar mistakes already, but the gameplay does not seem interesting to me. Once you lose a wizard, do you really have a chance to win anymore? You have one less turn to take every turn, which could possibly lead to snowballing in your opponent's favor.

The whole rules make it seem like the game will be overly simple, too, with very little complexity or strategic elements.

Also, looking at the designer's BGG page, the ONLY game he seemed to like beside his own is HeroQuest, possibly because he played it as a kid? So is this a case of "I can design games even though I never play them!"?

Sorry guys, I just don't think Incantris can compete in today's board game market.

(THAT BEING SAID, I must admit your other game, War of Kings, does seem worthwhile to track and try out. I'm quite interested in trying it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other alarm bell was when he said he never heard of Heroscape. I didn't know whether to believe him or not.

Now, I have no disdain towards simpler/smaller games. But they have to be priced accordingly. Even without the shipping charge, I cannot see paying for this game on KS when I can get Arena of the Planeswalkers for cheaper. I thought you're supposed to get a better deal by supporting on KS?

I hope by 2017, I can get this small game at more reasonable price and shipping from retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath R
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:
Although the minis will probably look better than the ones found in Yashima, the terrain is just... awful. I already didn't like the one from Yashima, but this one... it's just... bland. Bland green with some rivers and roads? Seriously guys, the terrain is beyond boring to look at.
I am sorry to hear you say that. You are the first person to mention that. The other reactions we have had is that Incantris is very vibrant and colorful game.

GoldSirius wrote:
Then, the rulebook. I skimmed through it and found inconsistencies and grammar mistakes already,

If you have any of those handy, I would like to know of we have caught them in additional revisions to the rules.

GoldSirius wrote:
but the gameplay does not seem interesting to me. Once you lose a wizard, do you really have a chance to win anymore?

You can indeed, and it happens!

GoldSirius wrote:
You have one less turn to take every turn, which could possibly lead to snowballing in your opponent's favor.

You are indeed at a disadvantage if your wizards are killed, as you might expect. An important part of your strategy as player should be to kill your other player's wizards without losing your own. This is part of the game's design. In a two play "battle royale" scenario, if you already lost two of your wizards but you have not yet killed any of the opponent's wizards, the game is coming to a close.

GoldSirius wrote:
The whole rules make it seem like the game will be overly simple, too, with very little complexity or strategic elements.

I hope that you would have a different opinion if you played it. We designed it to be a game that will satisfy hardcore gamers but be playable with a broader audience. I think the strategic elements you are looking for are there.

GoldSirius wrote:
Also, looking at the designer's BGG page, the ONLY game he seemed to like beside his own is HeroQuest, possibly because he played it as a kid? So is this a case of "I can design games even though I never play them!"?

I am not sure if you are talking about me or Seth. I'll have to look at my BGG profile again. I play lots of games. We posted some reports over on our YouTube channel.

GoldSirius wrote:
Sorry guys, I just don't think Incantris can compete in today's board game market.

(THAT BEING SAID, I must admit your other game, War of Kings, does seem worthwhile to track and try out. I'm quite interested in trying it.)

Excellent! I am very excited to here your report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath R
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
I thought you're supposed to get a better deal by supporting on KS?

We always want to give our KS backers a good deal on our projects. That is why we are including the promo pack and also offering the game $10.00 the MSRP. If you are outside of the United States, we also partner with fulfillment companies in Canada, the EU, and Australia to reduce shipping charges to our backers and also so we can cover all taxes, duties, and import fees for them.

Mlai00 wrote:
I hope by 2017, I can get this small game at more reasonable price and shipping from retailers.

We have has several retailers who have reached out to us about supporting the project to get it into their stores. I hope that one of them is near you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that you didn't use the oft-expected rock-paper-scissors format for your wizards.

That is...
Class X wards strongly against Elemental but weakly against Spiritual,
Class Y wards strongly against Spiritual but weakly against Astral,
and Class Z wards strongly against Astral but weakly against Elemental.

Instead, you have 2 classes complement against each other, and then 1 class just standing to the side by itself and being a generalist.

Any reason why you did that? Seems like it would decrease depth and the need for teamwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
GoldSirius wrote:

the terrain is just... awful. I already didn't like the one from Yashima, but this one... it's just... bland. Bland green with some rivers and roads? Seriously guys, the terrain is beyond boring to look at.

I really like the terrain. The art for the grass/water/bridge is really nice. I'm sure we will see more types in future expansions or other sets the Robinsons are working on (snow/village etc).

Plus you got the tree's & walls & all that. You can also get the lifters to make varied heights.

GoldSirius wrote:
the ONLY game he seemed to like beside his own is HeroQuest, possibly because he played it as a kid? So is this a case of "I can design games even though I never play them!"?

You didn't check out their youtube vids?

I still have my copy of HeroQuest. I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McCoy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
and His Amazing Zoo Crew!
badge
I'm Spader-Man.
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:

I am not sure if you are talking about me or Seth. I'll have to look at my BGG profile again. I play lots of games. We posted some reports over on our YouTube channel. :)

He's talking about you, bud. Flesh out your BGG profile, stat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.