Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Conflict at Carrock single Deck even with a hill troll for reinforcement on the second round the 4 trolls never stood a chance:

My game last night took 18 rounds, I was able to control the game and forced my way to the second stage with 37 threat (thank you Aragorn and Elrond's counsels) fighting the trolls for only the 18th and 19th (didn't finish the 19th round) rounds,
By this time I had Beorn, and Grimbeorn the Old on the board, a Warden of Haling, Henemarth, Daughter of Nimrodel, Miner of the iron Hills, Snowbourn Scout, enough resources and cards played on my heroes to do the following:
Forced my way to the 2nd stage, All 4 Trolls come attacking. 2 feints in my hand help stop the the troll that raises your threat and another, Grimbeorn took one attack, Elrohir, with Citadel plate, 2 Warnings for a defense total of 5 took the other.
The attacks back consisted of Elladan attacking 4 times with (2 Marks so value of 5 and a Rivendel blade lowering defense by 2), First on the troll giving +1 defense Add Grim, Beorn for 7 plus 5 = 12 enough to defeat him (4 dense -2 and 10 HP). then on the troll that gives +1 attack Aragorn and Elrohir and minor of iron hills add 6 + 5 For Elladan = 11 which is enough to defeat him(3 defense -2 and 10 HP), Then 2 more attacks on each other troll to do 4 damage on each(3 defense -2 so only 4 damage gets through). Daughter of and Warden heal Grimbeorn then at end of refresh phase Henemarth lets me know that a Hill troll is coming up next (there is a location of 2 threat in Staging area).
Other cards I have on heroes: Unexpected Courage on Aragorn, The Blade That was Broken on him and a Quest, so he quested for 4 points, Light of Valinor on Elladan allowed another 3 points both of them being "ready" for combat phases (song of Wisdom, and resourceful as well). Elrohir had song giving Spirit, resourceful and self preservation as well.
The next round played a second Scout, Because Aragorn gives everyone +1 will power with the sword I forced through 10 quest points to knock out the Carrock (3 Staging area threat, 6 for the Carrock and one to the quest) and fulfill the Quest except for defeating the trolls, this removed the last bonuses for the trolls as well. Elladan and Company went to work knocking the new Hill troll (Grimbeorn defended) and the other 2 Trolls (defended by Elrohir) down (defeated the hill troll first to get its victory points). (Hill Troll = Elladan and Grimbeorn (for 9 -2 defense)finish it off, then Beorn and Elladan took one Troll (8 -2 defense), and lastly Aragorn and Elladan (8 -2 defense) took the remaining troll.)
18 rounds, 41 threat, 12 VP.
The deck takes time an patience to play, mistiming a card or 2 could cost you the game. I lost twice before this because I missed timing of a cards in one (one I waited too long other played to soon), the other game was a loss no matter what deck you are playing if playing solo: I got 2 sacked on Rounds 3 and 4 followed by roasted slowly on round 6. And no Miner of the iron hills in my hand to play!
I think if I get a larger card pool I might be able to make this work easier, As it is, I need to depend on 3 Elrond's Counsels and at least one song giving Spirit, and/or 2 Gandalf (core) for threat management. Starting at 32 hurts in that regard. But enemies usually are gone in a round or 2. Aragorn reset ability is useful but can be risky if a large threat card is coming thus the Henemarth card is useful to help time this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, and thanks for going through your thought process on how you constructed your deck. I'm just getting into this game and only have the base game so far, so it's good to see that my weak little decks will improve over time. And money, of course, but that's a different problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I have to report IT took me 12 attempts to get through the Dul Guldur scenario, And it took a perfect storm of sneak attack, Gandalf, and Elrond Counsels to do it (helped the 2 of the objectives where "guarded" by Treachery cards that don't hurt you in setup)
I ended up with Elladan as the prisoner, But gained enough Threat reduction to get secrecy bonus for Resourceful cards and then it was nip and tuck until I got a Northern tracker and an minstrel on the board, Oh and Arwen's Stone for Aragorn. By the end I had a similar set up took about 19 rounds as well, but had enough attack and defense along with questing via Aragorn ( he had map so can't help attacking this time around) and allies to get to the point of just needing to defeat the Nazgul. I took him optionally and the Chieftan came on his own, Defend both with Elrohir and the orc to. Defeated the Orc and wounded The other two, then next round, played a winged Guardian to handle Chieftan, and optionally engaged the Hummerhorns just drawn (yes I took 5 damage on Elrohir and with Citidal plate and Aragorn spent 2 resources to play Lore of Imaldris to make them go away) Ended up taking down the wounded Chieftan, the Hummerhorns and wounded Nazgul on last round by doing them in the listed order I got victory points to help my score.
Something to pay attention to if you can , defeat the enemies that give you VP right before finishing the final quest stage if they are there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.