GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,080 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Elder Sign: Omens of Ice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rhan Tegoth's final battle felt very flat to me. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, just finished my 1st play with the omens of ice expansion, really enjoying it but I was left very dissapointed at the end because of the final battle. Hope I played it right. Basically I spent 80 minutes going through adventures collecting things etc, enjoying it. Then as the doom tokens built up I had a couple of investigators who became devoured, so I followed the rules and chose two new investigators, they obviously came with full health. 6 and 4 I think. The turn or two after that Rhan awoke, all I did was spend 4 turns a day trying to roll 2 skulls before midnight came round, once it did, Rhan attacked and I had to lose 2 health off an investigator, which with 10 health between the two new investigators felt like it was a walk in the park. I just felt I went through 75 minutes of adventures for no reason whatsoever as the two new investigators came along with no items etc and won the game. Did I play that battle correctly or is that it? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveat -- I don't own Omens of Ice but have played all of the other Elder Sign content. That said, I believe you were playing correctly per the rules as written.

The awakening mechanism in Elder Sign has been a divisive one and is often called anticlimactic. I know many players simply skip it and call the game a loss if the doom track fills up. When playing solo (which I assume you were above) I keep the that mechanism intact, but I don't replace devoured investigators. I find this keeps the tension and challenge at an appropriate level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah. That sounds more on the edge. I thinks it's because I'm used to playing against one of the elder ones that's does trigger you to
Lose the game once awake. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
When playing solo (which I assume you were above) I keep the that mechanism intact, but I don't replace devoured investigators. I find this keeps the tension and challenge at an appropriate level.

I echo this sentiment. Part of the challenge of the game is working with the investigators you have, and adjusting when one of them gets devoured.

It's also highly unthematic that some new investigator shows up in perfect health at the time someone is devoured. Especially in Omens of Ice where it would be inconceivable that someone showed up out of the blue in the middle of the blizzard-ridden mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
coyotemoon722 wrote:
oduh wrote:
When playing solo (which I assume you were above) I keep the that mechanism intact, but I don't replace devoured investigators. I find this keeps the tension and challenge at an appropriate level.

I echo this sentiment. Part of the challenge of the game is working with the investigators you have, and adjusting when one of them gets devoured.

It's also highly unthematic that some new investigator shows up in perfect health at the time someone is devoured. Especially in Omens of Ice where it would be inconceivable that someone showed up out of the blue in the middle of the blizzard-ridden mountains.

I just finished my first game against the same Ancient One and I felt the same way. Keep in mind he is the easiest of the three so it's not suppose to be to hard.

With that said, when I replayed the battle and added in the Grave Consequences expansion's Epic Battle cards making the dissapointment of the battle became much more dynamic. The element of randomness introduced makes the game so much more challenging and every action thought-provoking. I still won but the changing conditions made the victory hard fought. If the end battle is to stiff and repetitive for you than this game should not be played without the Grave Consequences (GC) expansion.

With that said, I don't replace investigators that are devoured. With a thematic storytelling game like this, I don't feel I should get a non-thematic reward for having someone dying. That includes playing with the GC expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.