Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike Evans
United States
Shakopee
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Space Cadets: Dice Duels roughly a year ago, and although it is a game that I like, it takes a lot of energy to play - I am never incline to play the game twice in a row even if it doesn't take very long to play. After just one game, I'm always exhausted.

I'm hesitant to buy Captain Sonar if it scratches the same itch as Dice Duels, but maybe not. If Captain Sonar is a game that isn't quite as stressful to play, then I'm in.

So, oh thou fellow Vaunted Geeks of Board Gaming, what do you have to say? Should the owner of Dice Duels buy Captain Sonar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ikesteroma wrote:
I bought Space Cadets: Dice Duels roughly a year ago, and although it is a game that I like, it takes a lot of energy to play - I am never incline to play the game twice in a row even if it doesn't take very long to play. After just one game, I'm always exhausted.

I'm hesitant to buy Captain Sonar if it scratches the same itch as Dice Duels, but maybe not. If Captain Sonar is a game that isn't quite as stressful to play, then I'm in.

So, oh thou fellow Vaunted Geeks of Board Gaming, what do you have to say? Should the owner of Dice Duels buy Captain Sonar?

I'm not going to go so far as to say you SHOULD buy Captain Sonar, but I can say that in my experience it is far less stressfull and chaotic than Dice Duel. It has stressfull moments, but they are when the "story" of the game is climaxing with torpedo shots being fired. Much of the game has a calmer vibe to it, though there is always a low level of stress even in these times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself more stressed in captain sonar. Not because my hands are moving so fast but because I am thinking so damn much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Sonar also has no random elements, which likely plays into it. Also, the three non-radio players on each team need to be in constant communication with each other, coordinating actions and what should be done. This seems to increase the stress and pressure ("we need to do this right!"), but also the fun (no frustration because the dice didn't get what you needed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikesteroma wrote:
If Captain Sonar is a game that isn't quite as stressful to play, then I'm in.
Good news...

I absolutely love Dice Duel and own both games. I find Cpt Sonar is a lower-energy game that's far less frenetic. It's still fast-paced and requires more deep thinking. I often feel like I'm solving a complicated puzzles on the clock.

Both are good games. Good teamwork will typically prevail in both games. And many people consider both to be more stressful than turn-based games.

I wrote a review on Dice Duel if you think my perspective will help with this recommendation. I've thought about doing a review on Cpt Sonar, too.
Edit: Turns out I wrote out notes for a Dice Duel review but never completed/posted it. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain Sonar feels less stressful for some roles and not others. If some people in your group don't mind the stress (or want to take turns from high stress to low stress roles) there are certainly low-stress roles (radio operator, first mate) and what I would consider higher stress roles (engineering and Captain, IMHO). I think by alternating out you could last a few more rounds.

I find Escape and Dice Duels high stress and Captain Sonar medium stress if you're rotating roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In „Space Cadets: Dice Duel“ and in „Captain Sonar“ you are confronted with two different levels of stress. If you play “Captain Sonar” in real time mode than the stress level of both games is very much the same. If you play “Captain Sonar” in turn by turn mode the stress factor is still there – but you have to face a different type of stress now. The tension in turn by turn mode is comparable to chess players who are trying to keep their concentration knowing that any mistake can be fatal. Therefore I highly enjoy the turn by turn mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.