Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things I haven't seen talked about much...

1. The updated mechanics are pretty smooth. The damage system is easy while allowing for all the variety of the original. The insanity system is amusing. Combat is much cleaner compared to the original while keeping all the variety. Streamlined set of statuses that cover the ground well. Nice work in general and very effective use of the device to hide complexity.

2. I *really* appreciate that the scenario design usually makes use of the tile art. If there is a table to search, there's likely a table on the tile. Papers scattered on the floor? Yep, they are on the tile. It really adds a nice touch of atmosphere and could have easily been overlooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great point about the tiles! I'm also a huge fan of either big or small squares for all tiles!

Putting together a map for MoM is a quick, painless process compared to something like Star Wars Imperial Assault, with a ton of small map connector pieces and super-tiny tile numbers in the campaign book and the tiles themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
A couple of things I haven't seen talked about much...

1. The updated mechanics are pretty smooth. The damage system is easy while allowing for all the variety of the original. The insanity system is amusing. Combat is much cleaner compared to the original while keeping all the variety. Streamlined set of statuses that cover the ground well. Nice work in general and very effective use of the device to hide complexity.

2. I *really* appreciate that the scenario design usually makes use of the tile art. If there is a table to search, there's likely a table on the tile. Papers scattered on the floor? Yep, they are on the tile. It really adds a nice touch of atmosphere and could have easily been overlooked.

You're right, we definitely haven't seen a lot of talking about these points. I think this forum (and let's be honest; forums in general) tends to revolve around negativity. It seems rare that people show up to discuss about what they enjoy and instead descend into complaints and nitpicks about what wasn't added to the game. But it is the internet; people do the same with video games and movies and almost anything under a critical eye.

I definitely agree; combat, mythos, and all of the mechanics that the app handles behind the scenes is done quite well. It's amazing how quickly we can go from Investigator Phase to Investigator Phase with the app taking care of all the clunkiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also love the fact that the art on the tiles is incorporated into the gameplay. If it looks like you can inspect it, you tend to be told that you can, in fact, specifically inspect it. Much more intuitive than similar setups in, say, Mice & Mystics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, there I went throwing in negativity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
It really adds to the atmosphere. Every search token has a bit of text explaining what it is and usually it ties into the plot somehow. The painting has stars aligning, or a wife's diary entry expressing her concern for her husbands strange behavior etc. It really helps immerse the players in the game and wonder what is going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H K899
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to see Mice and Mystics re-styled with an app like this one!

I am STILL trying to solo play my way through the entire Mice & Mystics book, but always run into frustration with keeping track of everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.