Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Does "Tripadvisor" do a good job of ranking your city's top restaurants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled "Tripadvisor Calgary restaurants" and discovered that, of the top 5 highest ranked restaurants in my hometown, I haven't even heard of 3 of them-- #1, #2, and #3 are all news to me.
#4 is a well-known pizza place, and #5 is a Canadian chain restaurant that is more known for young waitresses in skimpy outfits than it is for food ("Hooters" but with more tact and less silicone, if you will).

Going further down the list, I have definitely heard good things about #6, and personally have been to #7 through #10.

So I'd give Tripadvisor about 5 stars out of 10 for their advice on dining here.

Do you think that crowd-sourced opinions have done justice to your city's restaurant scene?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I haven't even heard of 3 of them-- #1, #2, and #3 are all news to me.

MABBY wrote:
So I'd give Tripadvisor about 5 stars out of 10 for their advice on dining here.
I don't think it's fair to shave points off your rating because you're not familiar with some of the restaurants. For all you know, those could be the best restaurants in the city. If you try them and they turn out to be not-so-great, that's one thing, but just because they're obscure doesn't mean they're not good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not bad for my town ("Tripadvisor Lexington MA restaurants"). My town has a pretty so-so dining scene, but the few really good restaurants I know all made it into the top 11.

#1 I have driven past but know nothing about it.
#2 I never heard of.
#3 is an excellent restaurant.
#4 is pretty standard American-Italian food. Not bad but nothing worth going out of your way for.
#5 is pretty good.
#6 I wasn't very impressed by the time I went there. It seemed to be awkwardly trying to be both fine dining and a family restaurant at the same time, not so good at either.
#7-#10 I don't know anything about.
#11 is an excellent Chinese/Taiwanese restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
\m/ Stoner Rock \m/ (((Joe)))
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What they need is TripAdvisorAdvisor. A site to rate how accurate TripAdvisor is for these sorts of things. I would never plan a vacation without a high TripAdvisor and TripAdvisorAdvisor rating. One without the other is just too risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Actually, for Austin...not too bad. There are a couple oddballs, like La Barbeque in the top 10. But overall, it does paint a nice diverse picture of our food stuff offerings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
3 of Kansas City's top ten are different locations of Jack Stack barbecue. Jack Stack is definitely awesome but apparently Trip Advisor freaking LOVES that place. Out of the rest of the top ten, I haven't heard of 3 of them, one of them is a grocery store , and the other three I have heard of but never tried before. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my actual city, it's...not bad. #6 in the top-10 was a very weird choice, and AFAIK it's out of business anyway. #8 is good, but overrated (it's solid, but quite overpriced for what it is).

What's really bizarre is getting out of the top 10 - Olive Garden at #13? I mean, yeah, I know I'm in suburbia, but still...yikes, guys. (It's even rated higher than one of the newer, and easily best, restaurants in the area that is currently languishing at #16)

For the nearby big city - I dunno even where you'd start. Portland food is so varied, any kind of 'top X list' is going to have strong opinions about what is or isn't included. You won't go wrong with any of the top 12, although you'll be facing some serious lines (and surprising prices) on a few of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I don't think it's fair to shave points off your rating because you're not familiar with some of the restaurants. For all you know, those could be the best restaurants in the city. If you try them and they turn out to be not-so-great, that's one thing, but just because they're obscure doesn't mean they're not good.

True enough, but I checked and the #1 place is located at the same site as a former well-known restaurant that closed down. So I wonder how many ratings are based on the fact that George Bush (W), James Cameron (director of Titanic) and Johnny Depp all went to the other place in the past?
Plus, ranking a breakfast restaurant that apparently makes good eggs benedict at #3 doesn't say a lot for the ratings of the places behind them in the rankings, either. We're not exactly known for our outstanding egg dishes in this part of the world but I'll bet you I could find 4 or 5 obscure restauraunts who could serve you an equally excellent eggs benedict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings come from random people who have a good or bad experience and decide to rate it on their site. That skews the ratings toward certain demographics and makes them easily manipulated by emotional customers or the restaurant itself (How many of these restaurants have over 100 ratings?).

Also..People have vastly different experiences at the same place too, depending on their patience with servers, how price conscious they are, and how picky they are about their food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They got my top two, but in backwards order.

I generally agree with their ordering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 German restaurant -agree. Top notch schnitzel and sausages.
#2 Mexican restaurant - agree. Taco, burritos and mole, oh my!
#3 Diner-ish restaurant - agree. They have prime rib that reminds me of the Flintstones' bronto steaks.
#4 Chick-Fil-A - seriously WTF?
#5 Korean restaurant - agree Have only had food once from there but it was good
#6 Indian restaurant - agree. Mmmm...vindaloo!
#7 Local chain - meh...they have some decent items
#8 Local restaurant - agree...their broasted chicken is amazing.
#9 Italian restaurant - been there once, food was more or so your average local Italian place quality
#10 Polish deli - Didn't know they had anywhere to sit down and eat there. Have had their kielbasa and it was tasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
L.A.'s Top 10 is a mix of local favorites, established high-ends, and a couple of flavor of the month types. A few too many delicatessens for what is one of the most diverse culinary cities on the planet, but those have highly dedicated followings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Portland Oregon - generally eschews the frou-frou in lieu of quirky comfort food. (Check out my assonance!) For example, gourmet donuts at #8, while the renowned Le Pigeon is all the way down at #20. I had Pine State Biscuits (#6) this past Saturday at the market.

My local town - Hillsboro - doesn't have much if anything in the way of fine dining, but has a lot of great little local places for the not-quite-foodies. The top 10 for that is really disappointing, with way too much American food represented (freakin' Stanfords at #10?!); for example, you have to get to #36 for the first of one of our many more-than-decent Indian places. We eat at Vivi's (#3) several times a year, often for take-out.

I think Yelp is a better representation of both cities, but I can see TripAdvisor being a good resource for the average white traveler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The ratings get skewed too much by popularity, and some restaurants openly encourage you to rate them on TripAdvisor which artificially boosts their ratings. Also, I think some reviewers weight "value" more heavily in their ratings than I would.

For Houston I'd say only one or two of TA's top ten would be acknowledged as among our ten best restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked for Lansing, and I recognized I think all but one. This probably says more about the lack of genuine top notch places to eat more than anything. Burgers are fairly okay here. Pizza fairs better but not a lot of places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripadvisor Fayetteville NC restaurants

I looked at the top 20. I have not heard of 2 of them. Number 8 and 19. I think they do a fairly good job of ranking them as well. The food is good at Sherefe which is the number 4 slot, but I am opposed to eating there because the owner is sexist and won't hire any female chefs for any of his locations since "women can't cook", his own words. Also, one of my favorite restaurants is all the way down at number 36 and even if I try to look at it objectively I think it should be at least in the top 10.

The main thing I know from this exercise is that I have some new restaurants to go try over the next few weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, my city...which will remain anonymous ninja

#1 - I have eaten at; it's OK, nothing earth-shattering
#2 - BBQ Chain
#3 - Pizza place - I've eaten there; it's OK, but not the best pizza here.
#4 - Mexican place I have NOT eaten at
#5 - Sports Bar I've eaten at - nothing special
#6 - Breakfast place - I've eaten at one in South Florida but not here
#7 - BBQ Place I've never even heard of.
#8 - Latin place that was good 1 or 2 times. The last time the food tasted different, the sandwiches were soggy, and there was a dead roach behind our table.
#9 - Some bakery I've never heard of.
#10 - Asian buffet place. yukgulp

I give them a 2 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've eaten at each of the top 10 in my locale. But it's a small place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Trip Advisor recommends good restaurants in Melbourne, but their list misses the "best" by a huge margin. But I suspect that Trip Advisor users are not looking for $500 dollar meals!

Trip Advisor
1 Scopri - very good Italian restaurant, but not in any reasonable top 25.
2 Da Guido Melbourne la Pasta - very high class pizza shop. Also not top 25.
3 Rice Paper Scissors - excellent modern asian food, top 50.
4 Sezar - very good, gets very busy and slow, top 50.
5 Eau De Vie - not a restaurant! A trendy cocktail bar!
6 Maha - brilliant Turkish restaurant.
7 ezard - even more brilliant, fine "modern" dining. Desrves its spot in a top ten.
8 Tipo 00 - never heard of it, appears to be a nice Italian restaurant.
9 Longrain - another one that I agree with! Thai. Fab.
10 The Hardware Societe - Was very, very hip. Full of TV people.

AFGA / The Age combined list
1 Grossi Florentino - Bam! Regularly on top 100 lists worldwide.
2 The Press Club - 4 month wait list, top 10 in the country.
3 Vue de Monde - Shannon Bennett is a rock star.
4 Attica - 3 Michellin stars, named best in Australia.
5 Flower Drum - either 2 or 3 Michellin stars every year since 1977. Amazing.
6 ezard - yep
7 Longrain - yep
8 Donovans - "Modern" French, 2 Michellin stars, was named best in Victoria twice.
9 Pei Modern - this is where ex-staff from Flower Drum now work.
10 France Soir - tiny restaurant, has been in the Age top ten list 16 times since 1988.
Maha or Eau De Vie are good picks for the next couple of spots.

Edit: it's worth noting that there are over 3.5 million people in Melbourne, and the ratio of restaurant to people is incredibly high. There are over three thousand bars, restaurants and pubs in the inner city alone. We are really, obnoxiously proud of our food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
L.A.'s Top 10 is a mix of local favorites, established high-ends, and a couple of flavor of the month types. A few too many delicatessens for what is one of the most diverse culinary cities on the planet, but those have highly dedicated followings.

So, as others have listed theirs:

1. Providence, seafood. Ranked #4 in L.A. by Zagat. Owned by Chef Michael Cimarusti.
2. Brent's Deli, delicatessen. #28 by Zagat. Famous for its black forest pastrami and generous desserts.
3. The Griddle Cafe, breakfast diner. Outside Zagat's Top 50.
4. Water Grill, seafood. Outside Zagat's Top 50.
5. Philippe the Original, sandwiches. Outside Zagat's Top 50. Historical landmark; declared birthplace of the French Dip sandwich.
6. Langer's Deli, delicatessen. Ranked #11 by Zagat. Preferred pastrami sandwich by former NYPD Comissioner Bill Bratton...even over that of NYC's legendary Katz's Deli.
7. Wurstküche, German. Outside Zagat's Top 50.
8. Craft Los Angeles, American. Outside Zagat's Top 50. Owned by Chef Tom Colicchio.
9. The Bazaar by José Andrés, Spanish. Ranked #37 by Zagat.
10. Perch, French. Outside Zagat's Top 50. Rooftop bistro in Downtown LA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
I live in the the most culturally diverse city in the world, and yet The Keg is on the top 25 list TWICE. Come on. And the most of the other restaurants are over-priced, tiny-portioned places where people pat themselves on the back for going to a restaurant that drizzles sauce on the edges of the plates as a way to fill up space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
For my town, the top 10 contains a caterer, which isn't a restaurant at all but has very good food, and a dive bar known for its wings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anecdotal: I pass by a 'Curry House' (Indian/ Bangladeshi food) every day that I tried once. Very average prices for very average food (bland curry, insipid, floppy 'naan' bread). TripAdvisor rating 4/5.

AdeAdvisor rating of TripAdvisor: 1/5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here ya go for OKC
#1 Nic's Grill - 319 reviews. For a burger joint that was on Triple D? Spot on! Seats 12 people, open 10-2 M-F. Be prepared to wait for a seat.
#2 Redrock Canyon Grill - 402 reviews. Never been, heard good things
#3 Kitchen No. 324 - 356 reviews. Never been, heard good things. I also find it funny that there seems to be a trend of naming restaurants with numbers. Edmond, OK has a Café 501 and there are others. I wanted to open a bakery called 3.14.
#4 Cheever's Café - 540 reviews. Great place located in an old florist shop just off Route 66. Can't miss here.
#5 Ted's - 642 reviews. Mexican food chain that started here. Not the best Mexican food, but everything is good.
#6 Cattleman's Steakhouse - 1,663 reviews. Triple D? Check. Presidents have eaten here? Check.
#7 Whiskey Cake - 319 reviews. A Chain, I do believe. Never been, never wanna.
#8 Hideaway Pizza - 170 reviews. Another statewide chain. Pizza done with a ton of love. Some say there is better but a good choice.
#9 Bricktown Brewery - 396 reviews. Sports, beer, food to go along with it all. Not my cup o tea
#10 Shorty Small's - 295 reviews. DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!?!?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone told me that there are more eateries per capita in Louisville than any where in the us. According to Tripadvisor there are 1,413 eateries in the city. Wow! Four new joints recently opened up within walking distance of my digs on top of the 29 or 30 that were already within walking distance.

I've been to most of the top ten but not in a while since they are above my current pay grade. In this town I'd put 20 restaurants in the top ten.

I asked a long time local restaurant owner what would improve the local restaurant scene. He laughed and said, "A long hard recession."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.