jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clintons went from broke to millions, now our SOS is helping his daughter make bank.

Who knew there was so much to profit in these non-profits.
It's like they took a page out of Dick Cheney's playbook and applied it to non profits. Not sure if that is classier or not.

Quote:
More than $9 million of Department of State money has been funneled through the Peace Corps to a nonprofit foundation started and run by Secretary of State John Kerry’s daughter, documents obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation show.

The Department of State funded a Peace Corps program created by Dr. Vanessa Kerry and officials from both agencies, records show. The Peace Corps then awarded the money without competition to a nonprofit Kerry created for the program.


http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/12/exclusive-john-kerrys-stat...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill and Hillary haven't made a dime off their charities, but Chelsea has. A lot of wealthy people create charities and put one of their relatives in charge of it. That allows them to donate money to the charity and get the tax benefit while also giving money to a relative at the same time. Often the money donated isn't theirs (a CEO of a company, for example, donating corporate money to a charity ran by one of their relatives). In most cases the charities do actually still do good work, but it is still a bit shady in my opinion. In the case of the Clintons, rather than donate themselves they get other people to donate to the Clinton Foundation, which is headed by Chelsea of course.

Also just in general, there is a lot of money to be made in the charity industry. I used to work with a guy whose wife was a consultant in the industry. Basically she helped people set up charities, build mailing lists, and put people in contact with very wealthy donors who might be interested in the cause. Apparently she knew a lot of really wealthy people so she was able to trade those relationships for a really nice career. She regularly made $300k to $500k per year over the years I knew the guy, although I haven't talked to him in the last several years since he quit consulting to help out his wife in her career.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing new here, something done by powerful people on both sides of the aisle. Doesn't necessarily make it right, but that's a whole different story.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
The Clinton Foundation does not meet minimal transparency requirements to be rated by rating agencies.

What's his name, the investigative reporter, just wrote a book about it. Bottom line: you'd be in jail if you had such a convoluted and obscured tax statement, with obvious lies.

But he's partisan. Obvious plant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The Clinton Foundation does not meet minimal transparency requirements to be rated by rating agencies.

What's his name, the investigative reporter, just wrote a book about it. Bottom line: you'd be in jail if you had such a convoluted and obscured tax statement, with obvious lies.

But he's partisan. Obvious plant.

Maybe if the Republicans would stop cutting the IRS budget the IRS would actually be able to investigate this type of thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
The Clinton Foundation does not meet minimal transparency requirements to be rated by rating agencies.

What's his name, the investigative reporter, just wrote a book about it. Bottom line: you'd be in jail if you had such a convoluted and obscured tax statement, with obvious lies.

But he's partisan. Obvious plant.

Maybe if the Republicans would stop cutting the IRS budget the IRS would actually be able to investigate this type of thing.


They're too busy auditing everything with "patriot" and "tea party" in the name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
They're too busy auditing everything with "patriot" and "tea party" in the name.

that still works? i figured all those groups would wise up to it by now and change their names!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.