Subject: am i trapped? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm playing the "isle of the black tower" scenario, and i find this situation: 3 heroes in the tower (rest of locations are closed), and 2 cards left in location deck.

merisiel explores and encounters a "pirate hunting", and the summoned card is a "sea troll". this monster can only be defeated by an attack with the fire or acid trait. bad luck, merisiel (neither her mates) haven't any card enables these traits.

so, no monster defeat. so, "pirate hunting" is left faceup on the location deck. perfect, i think, now, merisiel would discard a blessing and explores to find the villain...

and that happens. she encounters "shrouded queen"... but, one moment: the villain only can be defeated if it's the only card in the location deck. oh, damm... the first faceup card still counts as the top card of the deck. but it will be there forever if the "pirate hunting" is not defeated, and it will never defeated if the "sea troll" is not defeated, which, as i said, it's a unbeatable monster to my group...

so... am i trapped? group defeated?

i want to know if i am missing something and there is a possibility of victory. please, help to the brave heroes in the black tower! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, unfortunately I think you are. If you've got no way to get Fire or Acid from any of the three you have, then you are never going to get rid of that Pirate Hunting, so the Shrouded Queen will never be the only card in that location.

You could always house rule and draw a different random monster if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately I think you are. If you've got no way to get Fire or Acid from any of the three you have, then you are never going to get rid of that Pirate Hunting, so the Shrouded Queen will never be the only card in that location.

You could always house rule and draw a different random monster if you wanted.

no, no... i would feel like cheating. i prefer assume the defeat and try again. and thematically it was very linked to the narrative.

i have a house rule that in case of defeat, before to reset the character decks, i pick a random hero, draw 2 random cards from its deck, and banish one of this card. i hope it does not hurt so much this time...

by the way, i think this is the first time i found this kind of situation in a play (and i've played 290 plays for pathfinder acg). always there is a reason to going on to get the victory, or sometimes to hide and take no risks for avoid the death of one characters... but until now, not a situation in way that you have nothing to do to win with 5 rounds left. (but, hey, it's not a criticism. it's part of the game. only a thought).

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I think there are a few situations where this kind of random thing can make a scenario unwinable. But they are pretty rare. In this case, you've got:

1. A villain that goes into a specific location deck and has to be the only card in that deck or else is evaded.
2. A monster that requires a certain trait to defeat it.
3. 3 characters who all don't have ways of getting that trait.

It wouldn't have been any different if the Sea Troll was just a monster in that location deck. You would never have gotten rid of that Sea Troll. So, the Pirate Hunting wasn't really much of a factor. (Unless that location has 0 monsters in the deck list. I don't remember.)

So, yeah, you got a perfect storm in this situation. Out of curiosity, who are the other characters in the group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oloch and lyrianne. great support to merisiel, to tell you the truth.

but oloch has only falcatas, swords and trydents (no fire at all), and his spells are mainly for support (cure, aid, find traps...), and lyrianne has all firearms.

this group needs some kind of flamming weapon, or a attack spell with some interesting trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is: do you use Merisiel evasion before or after the Sea Troll was revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of stories have the heroes being temporarily thwarted before they get the bad guy, so I see no reason to penalize players if it's not in the rules. One explanation could be that the failed scenario is in fact still ongoing - it just took a bit longer than expected because of heavy resistance.

With that said, do what you find most fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andstrauss wrote:
The question is: do you use Merisiel evasion before or after the Sea Troll was revealed?

later. i didn't see reason for evade the pirate hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Lots of stories have the heroes being temporarily thwarted before they get the bad guy, so I see no reason to penalize players if it's not in the rules. One explanation could be that the failed scenario is in fact still ongoing - it just took a bit longer than expected because of heavy resistance.

With that said, do what you find most fun!

i had starting to implement this penalty in adventure 3 or 4 of the rise of the runelords, because i played some scenarios where one of the heros took a great damage, and being almost died, i prefered to pass all the rounds without exploration, looking for the end of scenario (and the voluntary defeat).

i found this cheaty, like if i take advantage from rules, to save my heros without any penalty or risk. and i felt no good, so, i prefer use that penalty. at least, if i do that way, i'm assuming some risk.

i heard "the wrath of the righteous" is more challenging, so maybe i will delete that home rule there. (as other house rule: "add a additional location")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yesterday evening:

Quote:
well... i'm just playing the scenario, again... and again the same situation: tower with villain-pirate hunting-sea troll!!!

i can't believe it! seriously, what are the chances? (and i shuffle a lot, i swear! cry cry cry

but...

i continued playing for the only purpose to get some cards, and so minimize the chance of loose some good cards (for my penalty home rule)... and... omg! mogmurch in the first exploration! easy to get for lirianne, and with the capability of give the "fire" trait to any check!

oh... pathfinder acg... the game giveth and the game taketh away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.