Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm making translated paste-ups for most of the card in TTA. I don't like to depend on color for this kind of thing (also I don't have a color printer), so I restrict myself to black and white only.

The paste-ups cover the bottom half of the card, some of the cards have a various symbols on the bottom. Things like swords (military), magnifying glass (science), harp (culture), gemstone (resource), happy faces, etc are easy enough to have in BW (Unicode even have character for those). But I can't think of a easy way to represent the blue yellow/red/white cubes.

One choice is the start letter of the color in a circle or square to define this kind of token. Portuguese is not good for that as the colors are: Azul/Amarelo/Vermelho/Branco. Having them in English (B/Y/R/W) kind of defeats the purpose.

Another choice is use the start letter of a descriptive of the cube: Recurso (Resource), Trabalhador (Worker)/Pessoa (Person), Civil, Militar.

I still would like a more clear and definite approach. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
Another choice is use the start letter of a descriptive of the cube: Recurso (Resource), Trabalhador (Worker)/Pessoa (Person), Civil, Militar.

This seems good to me. Especially since the letters can be terms that begin with the same letter in Portuguese as in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

This seems good to me. Especially since the letters can be terms that begin with the same letter in Portuguese as in English.

Yeah, this seems like it could work, I'm trying to be sure because I'm still new to the game so maybe calling the blue cube Recurso/Resource is not OK in some different cards. I think calling the yellow cube Pessoa/Person work nicely and fits the game. Maybe is not the same for the blue one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Yeah, this seems like it could work, I'm trying to be sure because I'm still new to the game so maybe calling the blue cube Recurso/Resource is not OK in some different cards. I think calling the yellow cube Pessoa/Person work nicely and fits the game. Maybe is not the same for the blue one.

The only problem that might cause some confusion, is that technically the Yellow Cubes are buildings as soon as they're added to the cards, e.g. an orange cube on the theater means that the Orange Cube is a theater (opposed to just being a guy at the theater).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediately thought of heraldry, where it has been important to denote color without using color. The footer on this page shows the 7 standard heraldic colors and their usual shadings. You could use these or define new ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
RHelms wrote:

The only problem that might cause some confusion, is that technically the Yellow Cubes are buildings as soon as they're added to the cards, e.g. an orange cube on the theater means that the Orange Cube is a theater (opposed to just being a guy at the theater).

I always (in Civ computer ganes) viewed those are building operated by workeds/people. Take the worker away and it stops producing (destroy the building) add a worker and it increases production (create/amplify building).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chris Schumann, that is quite nice, maybe not as intuitive, but it fits: red vertical lines, white blank, yellow dotted, blue horizontal lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
I would agree with pattens...

CA = open circle
MA = closed circle (or dark cross-hatch)
YELLOW = dots
BLUE = stripes

I think it'll be visually clearer than letters, and it is still relatively intuitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fizi wrote:
I would agree with pattens...

CA = open circle
MA = closed circle (or dark cross-hatch)
YELLOW = dots
BLUE = stripes

I think it'll be visually clearer than letters, and it is still relatively intuitive

What you mean by open/closed circle?

Here is where I am so far (ignore the portuguese text):

At first is the symbols used on the bottom (I'm still deciding which one to use for food.

The the options for cubes using letter for Resource, People, Civil action, Militar action. The last option uses heraldry color patterns (but the dotted one has just one dot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhouluyi wrote:
RHelms wrote:

I always (in Civ computer ganes) viewed those are building operated by workeds/people. Take the worker away and it stops producing (destroy the building) add a worker and it increases production (create/amplify building).

It'a more of a technicality I guess. It does matter with some Wonders and Leaders though. Take Charlie Chaplin for instance:"Your best theatre scores twice". If you have two cubes in the theatre it won't equal 4 theatres in total, but only double one of the cubes.
I found that part confusing when I first started - and if you change orange cubes from buildings to workers, that just might add to the confusion.

In any way, lots can be prevented from a thourough rules explanation - so perhaps there's no problem at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
RHelms wrote:
zhouluyi wrote:
RHelms wrote:

It'a more of a technicality I guess. It does matter with some Wonders and Leaders though. Take Charlie Chaplin for instance:"Your best theatre scores twice". If you have two cubes in the theatre it won't equal 4 theatres in total, but only double one of the cubes.
I found that part confusing when I first started - and if you change orange cubes from buildings to workers, that just might add to the confusion.

This is important.

I would actually use a mix of heraldic "colours" and letters. Spots and stripes for the cubes best referred to by colour (blue and yellow), and letters for the cubes referred to by name (military and civil).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print empty squares and then use your coloured sharpies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.