Subject: Attacking Syracuse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the previous question relating to Syracuse, I'm still uncertain as to the exact process.

Because Syracuse is not controlled by either player at the start of the game, does the battle strength marker start on the grey 1 space and get moved 1 left for the single crossed-swords icon onto the grey 0 space??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Polydor wrote:
Despite the previous question relating to Syracuse, I'm still uncertain as to the exact process.

Because Syracuse is not controlled by either player at the start of the game, does the battle strength marker start on the grey 1 space and get moved 1 left for the single crossed-swords icon onto the grey 0 space??

All battles start with the marker on the zero space. Then it moves to the left usually one space. In the case of Syracuse it moves two spaces. That is because of the sword marker on the map by Syracuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was confused because the example in the rules relates to one side attacking the other and the rules had stated that the marker started in the Defender's 1 space because of every location's intrinsic defense value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If on the turn of your initial attack you can only place one military (the strength track would be at blue 1) do you automatically lose the battle when Cartyhage begins its turn as you would if you were battling Caerthage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JKidder wrote:
If on the turn of your initial attack you can only place one military (the strength track would be at blue 1) do you automatically lose the battle when Cartyhage begins its turn as you would if you were battling Caerthage?

Yup, so you're gonna need that legion. It's also why leading a battle with elephants could be hazardous, since you could end up with zero strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
JKidder wrote:

Yup, so you're gonna need that legion. It's also why leading a battle with elephants could be hazardous, since you could end up with zero strength.

But am I right that, if you attack on your first action and end up in the 1+ range to the enemy, you can still use your second action to reinforce the battle before the enemy has the chance to claim the win? So, provided we are in round 2+, Rome could attack Syracuse with a strength 1 force in its first action and then reinforce with a second strength 1 force, putting the battle at 0. Carthage cannot intervene, so Rome could add the remaining forces in subsequent rounds. I accept there are other reasons why this might not be good play, but I wanted to confirm that the legion is not *necessary* to defeat Syracuse other than to lead the attack on the opening round (since there is only one action that round).

On the other hand, a fortified Syracuse (hypothetically, later in the game) would have a defense of 4 (1 automatic + 1 for the swords + 2 for the fort) and even a first action attack with a legion would need a follow up legion reinforcement to avoid the automatic win by the defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you could use your second action to reinforce the battle in order to prevent an immediate loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.