Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is yes, its a newb question. I understand this is a separate base set from Rune Lords, but story wise or whatever is it better to play runelords first or does it not matter whatsoever?

Thanks
Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a n00b question, just a new question.

No, it doesn't mater. You can play any of them independently with no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the playable characters overlap, and S&S is chronologically later than RotR, but honestly, the "story" is pretty much just "and after that they went a-pirating".

Play them in any order, it won't affect anything in any way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry to piggyback, but I had a related question. If you finished Runelords, can you use your Runelords characters to play in the S&S world?

Edit: Ok, just watched a vid with Mike S. stating that you can bring an old character into this new world. But I don't know whether you restart the character or preserve their XP gains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I can't speak to that old video, but you are going to generally not want to bring an experienced character into a new adventure path. The character would have 6-7 extra cards in their deck, 6-7 extra powers, at least a +3 to any core stats. You can only in the technical sense, but I think you'd be bored because of you're over leveling.

You could certainly play a character from another adventure path or a class deck fresh, starting new though. I've played all 4 sets and never really wanted to but that should almost always be compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply. I kinda had an idea the it might be overpowered in a new setting, but I was wondering if a compensating mechanism was in play to counter the more experienced character. It appears not. No matter, just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just hack the card stats to be more difficult. By the time you've played through Runelords, you should have an understanding of the game to design your own enemies and other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can do this with Wrath of the Righteous. Look on the Paizo site, there's an article where Mike explains the process. From what I recall, you jump in on like adventure deck 4 and continue from there.
You could try it on S&S, but I'm not sure it would work... Wrath is designed to be more punishing, so level 7s from other adventure paths can just about handle level 4 there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.