$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've been working on a card game called Rezonite, and made a post about it a few weeks ago in the Seeking Play Testers forum. I wanted to talk a bit more about the game and give myself a place to post about updates and open discussions, so here we are.

The idea behind Rezonite is that it is a card game where all the victory conditions are printed on the cards. There are no life points or pre-existing ways to win a game of Rezonite. Instead there are several spells you can cast that say "If [specific condition] is met, you win the game." Most victory conditions cannot be used on the turn you reveal them, which gives your opponent a chance to adjust their strategy and prevent you from winning. There are only 2 victory conditions that can be used on the turn you reveal them. Both of them take a while and can be seen coming.

This creates a really interesting dynamic where the strategy shifts over the course of the game as the players try to predict and surprise one another. It gives the feeling of two mages in a duel, casting spells and counter spells, each trying to catch the other off guard or back them into a corner so that they can make a finishing strike.

It also makes for really interesting deck construction. You can take any 30 unique cards and use it as your deck. You can mix and match different victory conditions together to make all kinds of custom decks.

There are 5 different energy types in Rezonite: Force, Divine, Nature, Spirit, and Void. Each card can either be played as a spell or played as energy. The core set contains 30 cards of each energy type, which can be played as preconstructed decks. Expansions will be released in 30 card sets with a mix of each energy type that can be played as preconstructed decks. Each energy type has different victory conditions and different effects that it can produce with it's spells.
-Force can shatter (destroy) spells and energy, then win when their opponent has no spells or no energy in play.
-Divine can block attacks and draw or play extra cards, then win when they have enough charms or energy in play.
-Nature can make their opponent discard from their hand and deck, then win when their opponent has no cards in hand or in deck.
-Spirit can do a little bit of everything and can win by having enough runes or quest tokens in play. Spirit energy can be used as Force, Divine, or Nature energy.
-Void can also do a little bit of everything and has a combination of Force, Nature, and Divine victory conditions. Void energy can never be spent, but it is required to cast certain spells.

If you have any thoughts about this game concept, please share them. If you know any card games like this, where the victory conditions are on the cards, please point me towards them. I know Fluxx works that way, though it's a different gaming experience that isn't nearly as balanced. I also know that Magic the Gathering has some cards with victory conditions (Test of Endurance, Near Death Experience, Epic Struggle, and Maze's End to name a few).

If you would like to take a look at the cards and rules you can view them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0BwUds189Zg-6bURl... This is version 4.2. If you'd like to hear about the previous versions and how I came up with this game I'd be happy to share that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Dawson-Ruiz
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
I showed off the Rezonite at Rincon a week ago. Everyone who tried it gave great feedback and seemed to really enjoy it. If you like 2 player card games with simple rules, complex strategies, deception, and magic, I highly recommend trying this game.

Recently I worked on designing the card layout for the three different spell types, as well the backside of the cards. Scrolls have a different color scheme because they do not stay in play after being flipped up. Charms were purposely made to look similar to the backside of the card. This is to visually reinforce the fact that charms and face down cards both count as spells, while face up runes do not.

Here are the designs I'm working on:

Can anybody help me make these appear bigger in this post? They should be the same size as standard playing cards. BGG scales them down significantly, but you can click to see the full sized image.

Edit: Made the images bigger and combined into one line. Thank you melbards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
to scale images in a post type "medium" or "large" right next to the image ID#

I had the same problem when I started posting here..so I thought I would return the favour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.