Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, let's tackle the zombie elephant in the room first. When I reviewed the original Dead of Winter, I wasn't the biggest fan. I never hated it, but I felt it didn't live up to the hype and I had some issues with the way it played. And boy did I get ragged online for it, "how dare you insult my baby?!?!" But that's normal when you criticise a game that is hyped beyond measure, you have to expect some zombie trolls to peek out of their lairs.

Now I heard that Plaid Hat were designing a space themed game using the same mechanics and that got me more excited. Alien infiltrators on the space station and cool sci-fi stuff, that sounded great. But then The Long Night got announced and I'm like, seriously, what about the cool space one? We've got a zombie game already, why do we need a second standalone version? But despite this I went in with an open mind, noting all the previous thematic/mechanical oddities and knowing what to expect.

Has anything changed from the original and are the new additions worth forking out the price tag alone for anyone who owns it?





Designer: Jonathan Gilmour, Isaac Vaga
Publisher: Plaid Hat Games
Age: 14+
Players: 2-5
Time: 90-120 minutes
RRP: £49.99


Storing Up For The Winter


To justify the price tag, The Long Night comes with a ton of pieces. As well as all the usual cards and dice, you've got a bucket of standees for all the characters, the new bandits and zombies as well. Some will always prefer miniatures, personally I prefer standees because you get to see gorgeous coloured artwork on them. If you've seen the original, you'll recognise the style instantly and one thing I remember from my previous review, I was more than happy to praise the impressive component quality and artwork, it really is stellar. Give me the Arkham/Eldritch standees rather than unpainted miniatures any day, the art will immerse me more. I particularly like the new Raxxon zombies, very cool and grotesque designs that brought back nostalgic memories of many nights blasting away on Left For Dead (and recently too, I've lately been getting back into it) .



The locations are now solid tiles instead of card, a welcome improvement and as well as the new module locations, you now have a graveyard tile to put all the deceased survivors over the course of the game. Aside from that it serves no purpose whatsoever other than sucking up more table space. All the other components are what you've seen before. The fold out board, the red exposure die, the item and X-Road cards, it's all familiar territory.

Except now you have no way to store everything. There was no insert in the previous box, but all those companies building inserts sorted that issue out. However unless I'm mistaken, none of them will be able to incorporate all the new stuff here as well. Which means you're going to be hanging on to both boxes if you own both unless you've come up with some fancy bespoke method and they're aren't small, they'll take up a fair bit of shelf space.



Those Previous Gripes Still Remain


You will notice in my previous review I had some gripes with the theme and mechanics in Dead of Winter. The exposure die could make or break your game by itself, the X-Road cards never triggered, zombies were merely an occasional distraction and not even worth caring about usually and a Betrayer in the mix would spike the difficulty to insane levels just by his mere presence. And don't get me started on how a game is thematic when a dog can wield weapons and ride a horse that can survive in arctic conditions. . . . .

Well . . . all of those still remain here, just replace the dog with a chimp, that's the only change, though at least the chimp has opposable thumbs so if he's intelligent enough I can see him wielding a gun. So if you had the same issues before, you're going to have them here as well. No variant rules bar a first player vote mechanic that's rarely used, no tweaks to the old system, essentially The Long Night has implemented an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, despite the fact I feel some of those parts need fixing. If you played The Long Night without any new additional content, you would not be able to tell which version you were playing between the original and this one.



So literally the only main difference between both editions is the new modules. The original mechanics are the same, the cards will have new encounters/effects, but they work in the same way. It's Dead of Winter 1.2 as opposed to 2.0. And even though I went in knowing what to expect, the same issues reared their heads. The exposure die practically gave or took the game away from the colonists depending on the luck and the presence of a Betrayer would spike the difficulty curve greatly. Not to mention that if a survivor knows he has no chance of meeting his secret agenda, he has no incentive to help the group complete the main objective so don't be surprised if a few games tank as a result (yes it DOES happen, don't deny it!)

The X-Road cards barely fired yet again. In fact I'm serious here, in my first three games using all modules (never used one on its own) a grand total of 3 X-Road cards fired........THREE! That's a card per game and one of those had none fire at all. The conditions are still too closed off to trigger often and it's so frustrating because when they do fire, they're the best part of the game! Being able to read the options ahead of choosing hurts the theme a bit, but unfortunately the X-Road companion app (which is a great addition by the way) had not yet been updated for the expansion (you missed a mark there Plaid Hat, it should have been ready for release). So the vast majority of the time, a player will look at the conditions printed and simply put it under the deck. Forget the whole "keep it a secret from the next player" mentality, most players will simply just put the card back and ignore it despite me trying to convince them otherwise in an attempt to rescue the game from that disconnect.



10% Added Zombie Juice


The actual "new" content in The Long Night is the three new modules, Improvements, Bandits and Raxxon. The improvements module is tiny, it's basically a bunch of cards that you can build and add to the colony to gain special effects and bonuses. Some of them take longer to build than others and they range from fireplaces to outhouses to the amusing DVD player. They can help a ton and are usually worth going for. But more importantly the rules for including them are literally a paragraph long. They're so simple that there's no reason you wouldn't include them in every single game.



The Bandits module would be my weak link of the three. On each round bandits will appear at random locations taking up spaces for zombies. They don't attack survivors (which I find a bit odd), but left to their own devices they'll steal item cards from the locations and pile them face up on their own board. Players can go to the camp to steal or battle for those stolen cards. Again like the improvements, this module is pretty small and simple and almost an auto include.

Except the problem is, for the most part these bandits don't really affect the game very much. You'll get a few additional zombies, which never really did much to begin with let's face it and some cards will go missing, but there's plenty in the decks to search through so most of the time you just ignore them. Killing the odd bandit every now and again on your travels will dramatically mitigate their impact. Unless you're really desperate for a particular item in that camp, there's zero reason to even visit it. Becoming their leader on exile is also pretty underwhelming, not to mention I find it hard to believe that a chimpanzee or a bookworm student would suddenly become a bandit leader. I'll include it because it's so simple to teach, but it's definitely the weakest part and yet you've got way too many standees taking up space in your game box for all the bandits.


Resident Lawsuit


My personal favourite thematically is the Raxxon module. This is essentially the Umbrella Corporation put into Dead of Winter. It's a special facility which contains items created from all sorts of weird sci-fi tech, that are seriously cool and powerful if you can find them. On top of that you can also find multiple different colour pills that can grant different powerful effects, but also potentially nerf you badly. It's definitely pure luck as to whether these pills will screw your game up entirely, but that's the risk you take.

But my favourite part of Raxxon are the special zombies. Every turn there is a chance for a new unique zombie to break out of containment and appear at the other locations. There's a wide range of them and essentially you have to go to Raxxon and use un-allocated action die matching the code to stop them escaping. Doing so allows the players to vote on whether they stop the special zombie getting out or reduce the number of regular zombies appearing elsewhere.



The special zombies are really cool, with great artwork and a "log" back story for each one. Also when you attack them, you roll a die and apply the encounter effect depending on their unique abilities. Thematically this is the strongest element of The Long Night, but my one beef is that stopping the containment requires a lot from the players. Each one needs two specific action dice to prevent it and when you've only got three to begin with, that's a tall order especially as you have to physically go there as well, which is likely either screwing you over in exposure or delaying you in completing the main objective or Crisis card. So usually they'll always escape each turn, but they're only a problem if you attack them. Aside from the odd one or two they won't directly gun for you so just like a basic zombie you'll usually just avoid them. And then kill off the easy pickings first to avoid overrun's.

It's nothing special, but the theme alone of having a facility full of cool tech with zombies straight out of a video game is enticing enough for me to want to include this module as often as I can, however you can happily leave this one out if teaching to brand new players just to keep things simple.


Verdict

Going in with a different frame of mind allows me to enjoy Dead of Winter a bit more, but that only goes so far. My personal gripes with it still remain, but it is what it is and because many gamers out there love it to bits, which is great, that's not the focus of this review.

But looking at The Long Night on its own, 90% of this game is exactly the same as the original. The survivors and cards will be different, but it's essentially more of the same. As for the new modules, one is an auto-include for every game, the others will depend on your group, but none of them are particularly substantial or game-changing and that's a shame. I love expansions where they just add more of the good stuff normally, but those tend to be cheap and in small boxes, not giant standalone releases like this.

If you feel Dead of Winter is going to be a game you love, then by all means get this version first. It's the same as the original, but you can add in the extra content at your leisure. You're only going to want both if you're a completionist and adore Dead of Winter as it's not like the previous version was getting repetitive or anything, the price tag is too high to just gun for the modules.

But despite my personal issues, which are a subjective thing, the game has elevated itself to a point where I'm fine with playing it if it hits the table in its current expanded form so that's a plus. But why waste time and money on producing Dead of Winter 1.2 when I'll bet people are more interested in when we're going to get that space version . . . .


If you are interested in this game you can find a copy at your friendly local gaming store - http://www.findyourgamestore.co.uk/






YOU WILL LIKE THE LONG NIGHT IF:


You highly enjoyed the original and just want to increase the variety given.


You are new to Dead of Winter and want the best experience of the two versions.


You feel that new modules alone are worth it.



YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE LONG NIGHT IF:


You weren't a fan of the original and are hoping for major revisions - it's the same game.


You're not interested in more of the same and were hoping for lots of new, original content.


Your sole purpose is to get the new modules, the price tag doesn't justify them alone.
29 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. A good alternate take.

Except this....

farmergiles wrote:
Not to mention that if a survivor knows he has no chance of meeting his secret agenda, he has no incentive to help the group complete the main objective so don't be surprised if a few games tank as a result (yes it DOES happen, don't deny it!)



....is what we call being a jerk.

If someone has no chance of winning, and they are not a betrayer, why would they tank a game for everyone else in this situation? Frustration? Why not just flip the table and be done with it? Far more effective, and it achieves the same result - with more shock value!!

People with attitudes like that should not be invited back to the group.
17 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
This is mostly with randoms I admit - but it does occur. And the game is a catalyst to enable it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly says something about an individuals personality.

Sadly I have seen this kind of thing happen at our former FLGS game nights. It didn't happen often, but when it did, it was by some random person who came in that night to play. Usually a younger individual. They either never bothered to come back or quickly learned that no one appreciated their play style and then decided to never come back.

One time we had a guy come in who wanted to play Lord of the Rings the card game, but everyone else wanted to play cosmic encounter. He begrudgingly joined the game then did his very best to throw the game as much as possible (clearly out of spite because he didn't get to play his game). When people started to notice what he was deliberately doing and calling him out on it he then pretended to get a phone call and said he needed to leave. Never saw him again. Can't say we were disappointed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Nice review. A good alternate take.

Except this....

farmergiles wrote:
Not to mention that if a survivor knows he has no chance of meeting his secret agenda, he has no incentive to help the group complete the main objective so don't be surprised if a few games tank as a result (yes it DOES happen, don't deny it!)



....is what we call being a jerk.

If someone has no chance of winning, and they are not a betrayer, why would they tank a game for everyone else in this situation? Frustration? Why not just flip the table and be done with it? Far more effective, and it achieves the same result - with more shock value!!

People with attitudes like that should not be invited back to the group.


The jerk here is the game designer ;p
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Your entire opening was a salve to a bruised soul: I'm not alone. Someone else gets it.

When they do produce the space themed game I long for, I hope they will tweak it to make many, many more of the crossroads cards activate. I wouldn't mind a card every turn, or even once a round, but they are the heart of the game and they need to flip more than they do. Are you listening Jonathan Gilmour? I love you, dude, you are amazing, but you are hiding the best and brightest part of your game face down...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Your entire opening was a salve to a bruised soul: I'm not alone. Someone else gets it.

When they do produce the space themed game I long for, I hope they will tweak it to make many, many more of the crossroads cards activate. I wouldn't mind a card every turn, or even once a round, but they are the heart of the game and they need to flip more than they do. Are you listening Jonathan Gilmour? I love you, dude, you are amazing, but you are hiding the best and brightest part of your game face down...


I get it, I do. But if I had a card activate every turn, soon they wouldn't be interesting anymore because I would know what they were. There IS a crossroad card generation program on the Plaidhat site that you can use to create more "triggerable" crossroad cards if you really want them.

I love them to death, but part of that love is because of how much of a punch they provide when they trigger because it is unexpected.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
One every turn no, but I'd settle for one every round. Currently, it could go half the game and not one would trigger. And Arkham/Eldritch Horror have a ton of encounters, but I bet I haven't even seen them all yet. There's a lot of X-Road cards in that deck, you could easily have made them actually have more of an impact on the game rather than just a card that you instantly chuck back upon reading it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

I get it, I do. But if I had a card activate every turn, soon they wouldn't be interesting anymore because I would know what they were. There IS a crossroad card generation program on the Plaidhat site that you can use to create more "triggerable" crossroad cards if you really want them.

I love them to death, but part of that love is because of how much of a punch they provide when they trigger because it is unexpected.


Playing Agents of SMERSH, and Tales of the Arabian Nights make me feel that once a turn might be do-able; however, you are probably right, and I'd be thrilled with just once a round. And if there are enough crossroads cards they won't be predictable or lose their punch.

For me, this game had the potential to be EPIC in the best way due to the crossroads cards. I have had an epic moment in approximately one game out of three. Not an epic game, but a tantalizing, breathtaking, epic moment that shows what this could be.

But the rest of the game, besides the crossroads cards, is resource management, luck of the dice, and the betrayer, none of which are new and which add up to an "okay" game. I want the EPIC game this had the potential to be!

Thanks VERY much for the generator information! I'll have to try it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
soakman wrote:

I get it, I do. But if I had a card activate every turn, soon they wouldn't be interesting anymore because I would know what they were. There IS a crossroad card generation program on the Plaidhat site that you can use to create more "triggerable" crossroad cards if you really want them.

I love them to death, but part of that love is because of how much of a punch they provide when they trigger because it is unexpected.


Playing Agents of SMERSH, and Tales of the Arabian Nights make me feel that once a turn might be do-able; however, you are probably right, and I'd be thrilled with just once a round. And if there are enough crossroads cards they won't be predictable or lose their punch.

For me, this game had the potential to be EPIC in the best way due to the crossroads cards. I have had an epic moment in approximately one game out of three. Not an epic game, but a tantalizing, breathtaking, epic moment that shows what this could be.

But the rest of the game, besides the crossroads cards, is resource management, luck of the dice, and the betrayer, none of which are new and which add up to an "okay" game. I want the EPIC game this had the potential to be!

Thanks VERY much for the generator information! I'll have to try it!


No problem!

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/ajax/dowcrossroadscreator.php

You can also actually just load cards other people have made and use those. You'll likely want to sleeve all of your crossroad cards though so you can't tell which is which.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
One every turn no, but I'd settle for one every round. Currently, it could go half the game and not one would trigger. And Arkham/Eldritch Horror have a ton of encounters, but I bet I haven't even seen them all yet. There's a lot of X-Road cards in that deck, you could easily have made them actually have more of an impact on the game rather than just a card that you instantly chuck back upon reading it.


I hope it was just your luck drawing. I was a playtester for this game (and I know PHG could have done some things better or added a touch more polish), but I didn't seem to have problems with the crossroad cards and we weren't using all of them as I believe they weren't all available to playtest.

I haven't gotten a copy yet, but it's on order and I hope the trigger percentage is a bit higher on average than your experience so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Both versions of Dead of Winter for a deck that big, it doesn't trigger anywhere near what it needs to. If a survivor isn't being used, that card is useless. If a specific number of zombies are not on the table, the card is discarded. If you don't have a minimum number of NPC survivors in the colony, ignore the card. Just so many restrictions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so odd how people's experience with the Crossroads deck are so different. We almost always have at least 1 trigger each round, sometimes two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
It's so odd how people's experience with the Crossroads deck are so different. We almost always have at least 1 trigger each round, sometimes two.


Random is random.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP wrote: "Now I heard that Plaid Hat were(is)designing a space themed game using the same mechanics and that got me more excited. Alien infiltrators on the space station and cool sci-fi stuff, that sounded great."

So it's the theme you didn't like about the "over-hyped game?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
By same mechanics, I mean the whole "hidden traitor" within a meta co-op setting with X-road cards and everything. Yes the X-Road cards need to be fixed, but they would be really cool with just a small change to their trigger chance.

Naturally, eject that stupid exposure die into space and remove secret agendas and if you're going to introduce aliens instead of zombies, MAKE THEM DO SOMETHING!!!
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Chumley11 wrote:
OP wrote: "Now I heard that Plaid Hat were(is)designing a space themed game using the same mechanics and that got me more excited. Alien infiltrators on the space station and cool sci-fi stuff, that sounded great."

So it's the theme you didn't like about the "over-hyped game?"


Speaking for myself, as an owner of Dead of Winter, I was hoping for a new game/theme rather than more of a game I already owned. It wouldn't be an issue at all except that Plaid Hat conducted a survey when the first game came out to decide the theme of "the next crossroads game." No expansion was mentioned in those threads, so I was a bit let down that they did a retread first.

Others seem plenty happy with more zombies, so I'm obviously in the minority.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Xroads:
I've seen a suggestion, especially if combining this and base, to draw one more Xroad if the first can't trigger. Or draw two...and take which ever triggers first. With the big combined deck, might make sense. Not sure how common the triggers are in deck two...but if the survivor specific ones need them in play, that will certainly cutdown on the trigger %.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
basil mckeon
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Rolling for exposure can make or break the game, but that's kind of the point. The game is about taking care of the survivors. Don't forget you can use a gas can to move a survivor without rolling for exposure.

Some survivors are better at fighting, some are better at looting. Don't fight with a survivor that can't handle combat. "Never introduce an element in battle that you can't afford to lose." The Police Station is in the top 3 locations -- maybe top 2 -- because of the amount of weapons you can find. There are upwards of 7 weapons cards in that location's deck alone. Weapons allow you to fight so easily that you never have to roll for exposure if you plan everything accordingly.

Don't forget that barricading removes the barricade and the zombie that spawns on it. It's more like a booby trap. If your survivor can't fight then they need to booby trap. If you don't have gas to move a survivor, ask another player. Offer them something in return. E.g., "I'm going to loot the police station and I get +1 cards there. The second weapon I find is yours if you can part with your gas to get me there safely."

1. Use gas to move. If you don't have gas, try to trade.
2. Get weapons FIRST THING, it's mandatory if you want your people to survive. I guarantee you will lose survivors if they can't fight or can't fight well.
3. Barricade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to see ANYONE ask to trade gas so they can move. Literally NO-ONE does this! And using gas to move when a Crisis card suddenly wants 4 of it, it's just not worth it.

Weapons, no I disagree. I've played many games without a single weapon and been fine. The only thing that kills a survivor is frostbite or a infected bite. You can just waltz out of a location that's going to get overrun or just have a higher influence value and you survive fine. If I've seen a zombie kill a survivor it's because they did something stupid on their turn or someone deliberately attracted them over in which case, sod all you can do about it. Let someone else kill zombies who has a character that does it easier, I never end up with good combat characters anyway so I just let them do it. After all I need to collect 4 food for some strange reason because apparently in a zombie apocalypse, I'm still more concerned about owning all the chocolate.........

Barricades, yes, spare actions do that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Nice review. A good alternate take.

Except this....

farmergiles wrote:
Not to mention that if a survivor knows he has no chance of meeting his secret agenda, he has no incentive to help the group complete the main objective so don't be surprised if a few games tank as a result (yes it DOES happen, don't deny it!)



....is what we call being a jerk.

If someone has no chance of winning, and they are not a betrayer, why would they tank a game for everyone else in this situation? Frustration? Why not just flip the table and be done with it? Far more effective, and it achieves the same result - with more shock value!!

People with attitudes like that should not be invited back to the group.


Here we go....

Actually, all snark aside, the original game had extremely lengthy discussions on this topic and unfortunately it didn't ever go anywhere and nobody ever changed their position. Ultimately, if people enjoy this type of play, they will love DoW but I think they will rarely win and find the game much harder than it really is. If people don't enjoy this type of play, they will either dislike this "meta" element of DoW, or they simply won't play with people like this. But yes, having a betrayer DOES make the game more difficult than if you have all loyal players.

Personally, I've played about 20 games of DoW (including TLN now) with a variety or new and experienced gamers. Never have I seen anyone tank the game simply because they couldn't win.

Having said that, I am the exact opposite opinion of this reviewer on almost every issue, but I wanted to thumb this review because it is well written and I think touches on a lot of issues that other reviews I've read neglect. For example, yes, TLN is still very much DoW and while this game adds a TON of new content, it's still the same game with some expansion modules added in. So if you had issues with the first game, you will have issues with this one. Unfortunately, I think most reviews so far miss or ignore this aspect.

Having played TLN a bit now, here are my own experiences. First, I thought I'd never NOT use the improvements, but find they make the game too easy (and arguably, TLN feels easier overall than DoW so far). So I haven't used them and likely will ONLY use them if I think a main objective is going to be really hard. Or if I switch to harder objectives or the betrayer variant. Making the game easier will also make the game tougher for the betrayer I think.

Second, I like the bandits thematically and what they add to the game, but so far agree they don't have much impact. I think they will have the most impact in objectives where you need to just survive and/or will encourage lots of searching and location camping.

Third, I had the same experience with crossroad cards rarely triggering. In taking a quick scan of the triggers, I feel like they are much more complex or specialized than the base game which has lots of "if at colony" or "if they move". This led me to quickly mix in more of the "basic" crossroad cards from DoW to increase trigger rates. Now I find they trigger much more and it works much better.

Also, I steadfastly disagree with every review which said you should get TLN over DoW. I think the lack of characters, crossroads, main objectives will be more of an issue than the new modules add.

Anyway, excellent review. I personally disagree as I love DoW and TLN has been a much better addition than I expected (if you plan on mixing sets and are interested in a more "sandbox" experience). But I think you made some really good points people should be aware of going in.

*edit* p.s. I love the exposure dice and what it adds to the game. Nothing quite like the fear people have any time they have to roll. And playing a ton of cards to avoid using it adds tension in having to clean waste and possibly not having cards needed for a crises.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:



Second, I like the bandits thematically and what they add to the game, but so far agree they don't have much impact. I think they will have the most impact in objectives where you need to just survive and/or will encourage lots of searching and location camping.



Good analysis. The above is the only thing I don't 100% agree with... or, maybe you could say I agree with, but with caveats.

I've played this a few times with only 3 players, and I can assure you that those bandits DO have a creeping impact, because you have less overall character actions than in a 4 or 5 player game. Therefore you can't afford to consistently kill or remove them.

But that introduces another issue - the scaling. Modules like bandits or Raxxon seem to make the game harder at 3, but may actually make the game easier at a player count of 4, and definitely easier at 5.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
I've yet to see ANYONE ask to trade gas so they can move. Literally NO-ONE does this! And using gas to move when a Crisis card suddenly wants 4 of it, it's just not worth it.

Weapons, no I disagree. I've played many games without a single weapon and been fine. The only thing that kills a survivor is frostbite or a infected bite. You can just waltz out of a location that's going to get overrun or just have a higher influence value and you survive fine. If I've seen a zombie kill a survivor it's because they did something stupid on their turn or someone deliberately attracted them over in which case, sod all you can do about it. Let someone else kill zombies who has a character that does it easier, I never end up with good combat characters anyway so I just let them do it. After all I need to collect 4 food for some strange reason because apparently in a zombie apocalypse, I'm still more concerned about owning all the chocolate.........

Barricades, yes, spare actions do that.


Just a note: different play groups play differently. It's part of why I love the game. Replace all your players with new ones and the game becomes a completely different game. Some people are more aggressive, some are more open, some naturally hide their intentions and are a bit paranoid...

That being said, almost every group I've played with requests fuel when moving a few times per game at least.

And if you're in a zombie apocalypse and NOT concerned about the availability of food, you probably won't last long. Is hoarding it excessive? Eh? Maybe... except who knows how long your "colony" will be there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
I've yet to see ANYONE ask to trade gas so they can move. Literally NO-ONE does this!


When I read this, I thought that the reason must be that they don't know they can do that. We constantly give each other fuel to help survivors move around! If someone in our group tries to move without using fuel, we even ask FOR them because we don't want survivors getting injured or bitten.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group doesn't ask for fuel. We tend to hoard it for crisis. Could be a bit of "groupthink" going on there. I'll definitely start suggesting this, as once you've moved, often you just end up parked somewhere (unless you're playing with Raxxon).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.