GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,905 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Evolution» Forums » General

Subject: New Card Idea: Amphibious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without diving fully in to Aquatic ecosystems, I thought the Watering Hole could use some amphibious denizens.

Couple different ways you could go with Amphibious:

1. If there is food in the watering hole, this species cannot be attacked by a carnivore.

Basically, if an amphibious species has food near the water he'll stay there and be well protected.

2. No matter who has the First Player Token, this species feeds first during each feeding turn.

First come, first served.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
1. If there is food in the watering hole, this species cannot be attacked by a carnivore.
Interesting thought; it makes the carnivore-starvation strategy even more effective in this case. Another trait that is much more effective at the beginning of the game than at the end.

CenozoicMatt wrote:
2. No matter who has the First Player Token, this species feeds first during each feeding turn.
What happens if more than one species has the trait?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, after further thought, I think the second option might be overly complicated and lead to confusion.

I still like the idea of a species that lives IN the Watering Hole though and has some advantages for doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
I still like the idea of a species that lives IN the Watering Hole though and has some advantages for doing so.
Before the food cards are revealed, take 1 Plant Food from the Watering Hole. This species cannot be attacked if there is food on the Watering Hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like an ability that can really come into its own *after* they release the ocean expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:

What if there is an amphibious Carnivore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

What if there is an amphibious Carnivore?

My thoughts exactly. At first I thought maybe suggesting that an amphibious carnivore can just attack it, but then doesn't that make it a superior version to Climb?

It's the same issue (offensive and defensive that cancel each other) and isn't even vulnerable to flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What information and details do we have about this so called Ocean/Aquatic expansion. Do we have any idea how it will work? Release date? Compatibility with the other expansions?

Where are you guys getting these aquatic ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
What information and details do we have about this so called Ocean/Aquatic expansion. Do we have any idea how it will work? Release date? Compatibility with the other expansions?

Where are you guys getting these aquatic ideals?

I only know that they are planning on it, no idea how far along in development they are.
I've heard it's going to be more like flight than climate though.
That is, an expansion that adds to the base game, rather than replacing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquatic is still a distant dream. We have a list of card ideas, a list of design goals, and some high level ideas about the direction to go in regards to implementation. Nothing more.

When/If it comes to fruition it will probably be a stand alone game. And if we are exceedingly lucky, we will find a way to combine Aquatic with Evolution for an over-the-top epic gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amphibious:
Carnivore: Whenever a species eats from the Watering Hole, this species may immediately attack that species.
Non-Carnivore: Before the Food Cards are revealed, take 1 Plant Food from the Watering Hole.

Similar in some ways to Good Eyesight. Carnivores living in the Watering Hole (like crocodiles) get attacks on those that come to feed there. they still need to bypass body size and defenses. Non-Carnivores just get the benefit of living where the food is. Not as strong as Good Eyesight and not as secure as Long Neck.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Amphibious:
Carnivore: Whenever a species eats from the Watering Hole, this species may immediately attack that species.
Non-Carnivore: Before the Food Cards are revealed, take 1 Plant Food from the Watering Hole.

Similar in some ways to Good Eyesight. Carnivores living in the Watering Hole (like crocodiles) get attacks on those that come to feed there. they still need to bypass body size and defenses. Non-Carnivores just get the benefit of living where the food is. Not as strong as Good Eyesight and not as secure as Long Neck.

Thoughts?

My thoughts? It's useless for a non-Carnivore, and overpowered for a Carnivore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... How about:

Piscivore: You may feed this species by taking 1 Meat Food from the Food Bank for every 3 Food in the Watering Hole.

I know, I took a sharp turn there. Was just thinking about species living in/near the water and thought about fish eaters.

This card is roughly based on Insectivore (one of my favorite cards), but focused on eating fish. Unlike Insectivore, this trait does not automatically trigger if the Watering Hole has food. Rather, this species can choose to go fishing for their feeding turn. And they can potentially get more food than insectivores. When times are really good, there will be lots of fish and thus lots of food for those able to hunt fish.

I was inspired by this picture I saw online:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.