Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Carzima
United States
East Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have room for two contracts on my player board.

I play a 6 die to take two contracts from the game board.
There are 6 contracts on the game board.

I take the contract below the 6.
I take the contract below the 5.

Question:
Do I take both the 6 bonus (2 coins or 2 camels) and the 5 bonus (1 coin or 1 camel) ?
Or can I only take the 6 bonus ?

The rules states on page 8 of the English rule book:
"If you take the contract below the 5, you also receive an additional 1 coin or 1 camel from the general supply."
"If you take the contract below the 6, you receive 2 coins or 2 camels."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You take each bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we have always played that you get both bonuses if you take both of those contracts. A player might claim the #6 contract and take a lower one as well, such as #3, in which case they would only get the 2 coin/camel bonus with contract #6. But if they choose both #5 and #6 contracts, they would get both bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
You take each bonus.
And you can choose Camels for one and coins for the other or both the same as you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Carzima
United States
East Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny P
Canada
DDO
Quebec
flag msg tools
i dont think you can take the 6 and 5 on the same turn ...
i could be wrong but thats how i was taught the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take the contract action you evaluate each contract separately.

You place a 6 faced die.

You choose the contract in the 6th space, you take the contract and place it into a free spot on your player board (you may have to first discard a contract from your player board) then you receive the bonus of 2 coins OR 2 camels.

You decide to take a second contract, you choose the contract in the 5th space, you place it on your player board, then you receive the bonus of 1 coin OR 1 camel.

There is nothing in the rules that prevents you from taking both bonuses in a single action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
jmathias wrote:
You take each bonus.
And you can choose Camels for one and coins for the other or both the same as you wish.

For each bonus you may choose coins OR camels. You may take 2 Coins for the 6 space and 1 coin for space 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
When you take the contract action you evaluate each contract separately.

You place a 6 faced die.

You choose the contract in the 6th space, you take the contract and place it into a free spot on your player board (you may have to first discard a contract from your player board) then you receive the bonus of 2 coins OR 2 camels.

You decide to take a second contract, you choose the contract in the 5th space, you place it on your player board, then you receive the bonus of 1 coin OR 1 camel.

There is nothing in the rules that prevents you from taking both bonuses in a single action.

Curious quirk, not sure if it's addressed in the FAQ section. Per the rules, "taking" a contract is what grants the bonus, not keeping" a contract.

Scenario: I have one contract that I like. I want the 5 contract, and have a six pip die. I place the six pip die, take the contract under 6 with the rewards in so doing, and then take the contract under 5 with the rewards in so doing. To make room for the 5, I discard the 6.

I would think it falls under a similar type of rule to completing an action, and would go against the general notion of fair play, but I don't see anything in the rulebook which specifically prohibits this play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick on the draw
hestiansun wrote:
Curious quirk, not sure if it's addressed in the FAQ section. Per the rules, "taking" a contract is what grants the bonus, not keeping" a contract.

Scenario: I have one contract that I like. I want the 5 contract, and have a six pip die. I place the six pip die, take the contract under 6 with the rewards in so doing, and then take the contract under 5 with the rewards in so doing. To make room for the 5, I discard the 6.

I would think it falls under a similar type of rule to completing an action, and would go against the general notion of fair play, but I don't see anything in the rulebook which specifically prohibits this play.
Nope, the rule is quite clear:

There is room on your player board for 2 contracts. When you take new contracts, you must also have room for them - or you will need to make some. If you do not have enough space, you must discard one or both of your 'older' contracts first, adding them to the bottom of the special contract pile. p8.

You discard then draw, you can't draw then discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

You cannot discard the contract you take, you must discard one from your board, and place the newly acquired contract, then you take the bonus.

You are taking the contracts, placing them onto your player board, and resolving their potential bonuses simultaneously.

EDIT
I feel like I may have confused this matter, and that was not my intention.

tl;dr: You may take both bonuses when choose both the 6th and 5th space on the contracts track in a single action (dice placement).

When you choose the contracts action, you place your die, then you choose 1 or 2 contracts to take from spaces matching the value of you die or lower.

If you choose the contracts in space 5 or 6, you also get the printed bonus above the space. If you take both the 5th and 6th contracts, you get both bonuses.

You may not discard the contracts you are taking from this action, you must discard contracts you already have on your player board from before you began the action.

Example.

I place a die valued 6 on the contracts space, I decide to take two contracts. I choose the contracts in space 5 and 6. I remove them from the contracts track, and place them on my player board, first discarding any incomplete contracts I already have. I then take a bonus of 2 coins or 2 camels from space 6, and a bonus of 1 coin or 1 camel from space 5. My turn ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

There is room on your player board for 2 contracts. When you take new contracts, you must also have room for them - or you will need to make some. If you do not have enough space, you must discard one or both of your 'older' contracts first, adding them to the bottom of the special contract pile. p8.

Hi. Glad it's quite clear to you. It seemed that way to me too. Someone else posted a very clear sequential "You take one. Then you decide to take another."

My point was if it followed that way, AS THEY SAID HERE IN THE THREAD, then how would the scenario I presented work.

It's called discussion. Someone making one point following up the point of the other.

Nope? Nope. Got it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure about how the order of taking contracts go, should you choose to take two contracts (after correct die placement) are you taking two contracts at the same time or take one (apply sliding down effect) then take the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slip up?
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I'm still not sure about how the order of taking contracts go, should you choose to take two contracts (after correct die placement) are you taking two contracts at the same time or take one (apply sliding down effect) then take the other?
Contracts only slide along after you've completed your action, so the order is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Contracts only slide along after you've completed your action, so the order is irrelevant.

ahhh, thanks, that's good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
Fildinius, I presume.
badge
"Butter the hole, captain."
mbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
misteralan wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

Hi. Glad it's quite clear to you. It seemed that way to me too. Someone else posted a very clear sequential "You take one. Then you decide to take another."

My point was if it followed that way, AS THEY SAID HERE IN THE THREAD, then how would the scenario I presented work.

It's called discussion. Someone making one point following up the point of the other.

Nope? Nope. Got it?
Wow, what was your point then? Were you trying to discuss a rules interaction involving rules that aren't in the rulebook? misteralan's response was pretty reasonable. I'm confused why you got so pissy. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phildinius wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
misteralan wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

Nope? Nope. Got it?
Wow, what was your point then? Were you trying to discuss a rules interaction involving rules that aren't in the rulebook? misteralan's response was pretty reasonable. I'm confused why you got so pissy. :/

Huh. You necro'ed a thread from five months ago just to lob a personal insult? Perplexing.

Lemme break it down for you in the simplest terms.

Someone asked a question about a rule.
In explaining the rule, someone made a reference to taking one, then deciding to take another. Which make it look like it is a two-step process instead of a one-step process (as the rules indicate, and as misteralan gloriously highlighted above).

The point of the discussion/conversation/what-have-you was that if it's done sequentially as a two-step process, what implications does that create?

Could I take one contract, take the bonus, and then discard it to take the second? (Clearly no, according to the rules. But again, this thread exists because someone didn't clearly understand the rules.)
Could I take one contract, use the benefit from that contract to fulfill a contract, and then take a second contract, taking the place of the one that was just fulfilled?
etc etc

Maybe for you things are ironclad, but we were really just having a discussion about things, and implications of wordings of rules, and what not. Mostly, I was responding to how someone ELSE was questioning an interpretation of the rules.

Why you feel the need to come into a long concluded thread for the pure purpose of insulting someone on it though is beyond me. Were you out of milk to put in your cereal this morning and needed to take it out on someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.