Rick O
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can usually make sense of a monster's activation list but this one confused me. A Master Cave Spider, six spaces from the nearest hero, activates with these choices:

1) Engage closest hero.
2) Attack adjacent hero with highest health.
3) If within 2 spaces of a hero, perform move action and retreat.

So, as I understand it, the spider moves its 4 spaces in an attempt to fulfill the first action leaving it 2 away. It then moves to the 2nd potential action which is not applicable. It cycles to the third which moves it back where it started from.

My ranged hero is happy to pick off this confused Monster, but I think I must be the one confused. Am I doing this correctly? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
After #1 if it can not do #2 (not adjacent to a hero) and can not do #3 (it is not within 2 of a hero) then you would Cycle back and repeat #1 (as monsters can make 2 move actions in a turn).

I understand that if after #1 the monster was with in 2 but not adjacent to the hero (keep in mind if they have reach they would be adjacent for attack), then yes, it would run away as you appearently intimidated it.

That's how I play it anyway. Any additional insight from others is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds right. Action lists like this often mean that if a spider starts out near a hero, it'll attack and then run away, or will move in and attack, or make a second move to engage, but occasionally it'll move in and then retreat again. Has to start out pretty far away for that to happen, though—6 or 7 spaces away from the nearest hero—or get blocked by a crowd of monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah it's just an interesting quirk of them trying to fit in as much variation in activation cards as possible. This issue (happens more often than I'd like) can pretty easily be resolved by an IF clause for the retreat command, worded such that it wouldn't allow the monster to waste its activation moving toward, then right back away, if they so desired. But it does seem like these activation cards are designed to end the monster group out of melee range of the heroes no matter what, if at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick O
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Makes sense. And I like the "intimidation" explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.