Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Several things intrigued me in this latest set in WizKids growing Icons of the Realms D&D miniature line. One was the giants. The Cloud Giant, better known as the Countess Sansuri in her final rendition, is absolutely exquisite from every angle, evoking the severe, haunting beauty of the frozen realm. And the no-nonsense Frost Giant, another female heavy, evokes less of the ethereal and more of the sentient world with her dragon shoulder armor and horned skullcap. Lacking in the grace of the women is the hefty hill giant, as broad as he is tall and carrying a pack equal nearly to his enormous bulk. Presence, he has, in spades.

Among the smaller folk are a number of pairs of standard creatures given both an alternate paint scheme and weaponry. Included among them are some classics: Yuan-Ti Pureblood, Kenku, Sprite and Githzerai Monk. When I first opened the boosters I thought distribution had gone awry. Upon closer inspection I was not only relieved, but pleased to find two distinctly different versions of some of my favorite pieces. The sculpts are very good, the paintwork decent, and the Kenkus in particular, they crushed. But it was probably only after thinking well that’s nice but I’ve got three of these damned sprites here, then took a closer look. The fact that the designers at WK took the time to attend the lowly sprite with not one but two weapon types, had me chuckling, shaking my head and muttering “Kudos, dudes.”

All in all, from the sampling I’ve seen this is a good set, worthy of taking its place in WK's Icons of the Realm line of figures that have given the game extended life. Some of the giants achieve new heights in prepaint miniature quality at the Huge scale and the variant figures are well received by me. Together with the DDM Guild, players of this very excellent and most classic miniature game, have reason to smile. And for anyone interested into getting into the game, now would be a very good time.

Release date is September 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bruns
United States
North Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
What are those guys on the last pic supposed to be? Mustard elves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Githyanki monks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More pics, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get these minis now, if the release date is Sept 21?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Do you know the distribution of Huge minis per booster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ira. Not a clue on distribution other than 6 unique Huges in one brick. Review sample.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Wizkids is using the old Mage Knight route: same bodies used for more than one figure with only a different arm & weapon to tell them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
It looks like Wizkids is using the old Mage Knight route: same bodies used for more than one figure with only a different arm & weapon to tell them apart.

Games Workshop was doing that decades ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Donald wrote:

Games Workshop was doing that decades ago.

And this is the first time Wizkids has used it for D&D (or pathfinder) minis.

Will this be a trend? Is it just cost cutting since this set has oversized figures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Honest Zed
Canada
flag msg tools
snaggle4th wrote:
More pics, please!

It would be great to see more pics of the giants... especially one or both of the Hill Giants, one of both of the other Frost Giant sculpts, and the Cloud Giant with the khopesh sword.

You can check out the currently revealed miniatures at:

www.minisgallery.com/dnd/dnd6.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bruns
United States
North Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Robbage wrote:
Githyanki monks.

Alas, I like my answer better. I thought Gith were not quite so yellow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, there has not been an overt marketing move on the part of WK to provide minis for the DDM skirmish game to my knowledge, but rather a continuation of the long line of fantasy creatures for RPG use. With the work of the Guild providing printable cards with play statistics for free download for the figures, though, it's a windfall for players of the skirmish game as well. I received no further insight from my contact at WK when I inquired.

They did grant the Guild permission to use the minis in coordination with their own purposes and I can't imagine they object to the incidental sale of figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
Donald, there has not been a....

Okay, but that has nothing to do with my post or what I'm saying.

I was just pointing out the double dipping for body sculpts in this set. Nothing about the skirmish game or the figures use therein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. Think so, can't remember examples from earlier sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.