Subject: Looking for a good Co-op Game wife/kid friendly. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like some help. I'm looking for a Co-op game that I can play with my wife but also one that can be scaled back to be played with children ages 10 & 11.

Only prerequisite I suppose would be nothing too dark as my wife isn't so much into those.

Best ones I can find so far are Forbidden Desert & Pandemic but having never played them I'm not 100% sure.

Or if you can think of any better ones I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those two are great. (pandemic possibly being a bit on the complex side, depending on the kids...)

You might also want to check out Castle Panic with this expansion: it is not meant as a full coöp, but it plays very well as one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Castle Panic or Star Trek Panic, depending on which theme interested you more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I imagine Red November would be good for kids. Gnomes trying to survive in a sinking submarine. Light and simple mechanics. Feels a bit like Pandemic, but wackier theme.

Actually, Flash Point: Fire Rescue might be better mechanically. Simpler. Fire fighters theme might be better for kids than dying gnomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Forbidden Island or Pandemic
+1 Castle Panic

Mice and Mystics is worth a look. Somewhat rules heavy and doesn't suit all groups.

As a wildcard: Dixit for Cooperative play (not a cooperative game) and very family friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
I imagine Red November would be good for kids. Gnomes trying to survive in a sinking submarine. Light and simple mechanics. Feels a bit like Pandemic, but wackier theme.

Actually, Flash Point: Fire Rescue might be better mechanically. Simpler. Fire fighters theme might be better for kids than dying gnomes.

Gnomes who, IIRC, like the booze and get drunk a lot.whistle
Perhaps not for the kids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife really enjoyed Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game, and it would certainly be accessible for kids. I don't think it quite has the longevity of the more complex Pandemic, but it significantly more casual friendly and with a more colorful theme. The ghost minis are adorable, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Fisher
United States
Hancock
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is a great co-op game for families, it isn't rules heavy at all, the theme is really family friendly. Another choice could be Pandemic... but I've never played it so I can't really pose an opinion on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is tons of fun.
Forbidden Desert and Pandemic are great.
Forbidden Island is also good. It has a some similarities to Pandemic, while being a bit more straight forward.
You said a game, and if restricted to a single game, Hanabi wouldn't be my first pick, but it's less expensive while still being a great little game if you were looking to start a collection of family friendly co-ops.

Theme-wise, for kids, I'd probably go with either of the Forbidden games or Sentinels over Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvel Legendary is good to along with the two you have mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgle Bros. is fairly simple, only a little light reading required, and it is FUN. The artwork is also very cartoony. I don't know if that counts as a plus in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised no one has said much about Hanabi yet. Very light on theme, you are creating fireworks for a display. No violence whatsoever! It is by far the most family friendly co-op game out there, and is friendly on the wallet for $10 USD. Also it is rare to lose in this game, so there is a plus for those who hate to lose yet there is a point tracking system for those who are competitive. Plus you can teach the game to anyone in under two minutes, so it is perfect for kids. In my opinion it beats out most co-op games for kids because it is not fiddly or complicated.

Another thought if you were wanting something with more meat to it is Mice and Mystics. It was mentioned previously, but wanted to touch on it again. It is a co-op dungeon crawler all with cute little mice. There is not much in regards to game options in the game, but it has an interesting story. Some on the geek have played it with children as young as 3 years old!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on Hanabi, Forbidden Island and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game.

I would think that Forbidden Island would be a bit easier to grasp for the kids than the Desert version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Mad Math wrote:
celdom wrote:

Gnomes who, IIRC, like the booze and get drunk a lot.whistle
Perhaps not for the kids...

Yeah, the more I thought about it the less that one made sense theme wise. Mechanically it's pretty simple I feel, so long as kids can grasp the time element, but yeah... might need a little creativity protecting kids from the theme. Or maybe I'm underestimating how worldly 10 year olds are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett B
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, I don't have any recommendations, but I'd be interested to hear what game you ultimately settle on and how it goes over with your family.

We tried Forbidden Island, because it is probably the most commonly recommended gateway co-op, and it didn't really light our fire.

The game itself seems fine, but I think we were all just a bit unconvinced that co-op is a fun mode of play. We lost our first game, so it had a real anti-climactic finish. It's hard to articulate but, I guess because there's no winner, everyone was just really flat at the end.

I'm reluctant to try another co-op without first giving Forbidden Island more of a chance, but no one in our family (including me) ever requests we play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I will, the forbidden series seems like is scales well, I watched a Rahdo run through of forbidden desert just now...

I might look into the Mice and Mystics also - reminds me of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques which my children love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would suggest both castle panic and forbidden island. I just bought forbidden desert but haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are good games. I find Forbidden Desert to be more interesting, but also more fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are good games. I find Forbidden Desert to be more interesting, but also more fiddly.

Agreed regarding Forbidden desert (youtube is great for previewing isn't it?)- Mice and Mystics seems ok but i'm not so keen on the Dungeon crawl type of game. Just not my thing. Will end up getting Forbidden Island & Desert I think - too hard to choose either way. Christmas is coming up after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
Burgle Bros. is also very good.

If the kids are into Marvel comic characters, then Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game would also be good, but it is also competitive as well as cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Squires

Fayetteville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also agree with Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Forbidden Island/Dessert.

A few that my wife and I play together and w/ my 6 yr old is Medieval Academy, Carcassonne, Pirate Fluxx, and Jamaica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miguel guerin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are my recommendations: (Pretty much the ones that other said before me)
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert (I heard Island is easier than Desert; but again you will be playing with young kids)

Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Pandemic (Fire Rescue is easier to pick up/teach, but both have the same concept, Pandemic have some forecasting thinking while Fire rescue it somewhat random with die rolls)

Castle Panic just a tower defense board but is fun and for extra fun Wizard tower expansion.

I own all of them except Forbidden Island and they are all fun, and will be easy to teach/ pick up for the kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies - have now purchased Forbidden Desert. Looks quite good to be honest and am looking forward to first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Men Tell No Tales

I bought this game based on watching several reviews. To honest, it has not made it to the table yet, but I have read through the rules a few times and it looks like a lot of fun. The main reason I haven't played it yet is 1/2 of my current game group does not like playing co-op. Dice tower has it in their top 10 co-op games and top 10 games of 2015. You should check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foognut wrote:
Thanks for replies - have now purchased Forbidden Desert. Looks quite good to be honest and am looking forward to first play.

Great choice and I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.