$35.00
Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legends of Andor» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Overview of all Legends and short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for English of non-english-speaker.

I will try to overview this boardgame for those who interested in it but don't know how much content in the box. For rules and some specifics of the gameplay use another review


Legends of Andor is a mathy cooperative high fantasy adventure game with gorgeous art and kinda "love it or hate it" gameplay.

Components

d10-1 double-sided game board
d10-2 5 really different legends (+3 official printable legends)
d10-3 4 heroes (+1 official printable hero and +3 official printable blank heroes)
d10-4 4 types of monsters
d10-5 3 main bosses (maybe 2.5)
d10-6 4 types of artefacts
d10-7 7 different items to buy (2-5 per each)
d10-8 there is NO decks of items or allies like in other fantasy games, only those items and artefacts
d10-9 bunch of tokens, cards, standees, etc.

I like cardboard standees with art better than just grey plastic miniatures.



Game-flow

d10-1 castle defending in 3 legends out of 5 (maybe 3.5 out of 5)
d10-2 huge focus on actions optimisation
d10-3 big focus on "pickup and delivery"-style missions but not over the top
d10-4 a lot of monsters jumps calculations
d10-5 after some time battles against monsters will become almost not exciting
d10-6 killing the monsters speeds up the events of Legends (like evil overlord or dungeon master reacting on your actions) so players must be accurate who and when should be killed

Storytelling
Storytelling is rather boring. Only Legends 2 and 5 little bit interesting.

Scaling
I think game scales very good. Playing with different amount of players not change the difficult very much but feels almost like new Legend. The idea with different amount of guardians in the castle (golden shields) is brilliant!



Overview of legends (no spoilers)

In each game there is random fog layout and random artefacts placing and sometimes 1 background mission (defending the castle).


Legend 1 "The Heroes Arrive"

Objectives: the same goals every game
Monster placement: the same monsters placement every game
Boss: no
Feeling of story: barely
Puzzle: yes
My opinion: most boring Legend of the base game, possibly the most boring out of all Legends, but it is an introduction, what can you do?
Verdict: playthrough 1 time for show


Legend 2 "Long Live the King"

Objectives: the same goals every game with couple of random non-linearities
Monster placement: the same monsters placement every game
Boss: 1 boss with random placement but approximately the same place
Feeling of story: present
Puzzle: no
My opinion: after the disappointment of the first Legend this Legend was pure delight, it provide all the basic aspects of an exciting adventure
Verdict: you can play it 2-3 times, preferably with different number of players


Legend 3 "Darkness Descends"

Objectives: each player get 1 starting goal out of 10
Monster placement: monster placement is different every game by using the creature tokens (10 out of 15)
Boss:1 out of 4 bosses
Feeling of story: no but sometimes all missions can shape some kind of story
Puzzle: no
My opinion: a good legend that due to many random factors can be a very challenging or very simple
Verdict: you must play and win it at least 4 times to kill each boss, but it is possible to play more, because this legend is unique each time


Legend 4 "A Mine Full of Gems"

Objectives: same goals every game with a random layout
Monster placement: the same monsters placement every game but there is additional very random enemy
Boss: almost not the Boss, same placement every game
Feeling of story: no
Puzzle: no
My opinion: not the most interesting legend, but there is some great ideas in it
Verdict: you can play it 2-3 times, preferably with different number of players


Legend 5 "The Dragon's Wrath"

Objectives: the same goals every game
Monster placement: monster placement is different every game by using the creature tokens (10 out of 15)
Boss: 1 Boss - the Dragon but with random behaviour each game
Feeling of story: present
Puzzle: yes to win easily, no to win barely
My opinion: very interesting and tense legend, but not the most replayable due to the fact that the initial goal is always the same
Verdict: you must play and win it at least 2 times because there is different approaches to win


Official Bonus-Legend "Royal Escort"

Objectives: the same goals every game
Monster placement: the same monsters placement every game
Boss: no
Feeling of story: no
Puzzle: no
My opinion: perhaps the most boring legend (or the first one), not really interesting, not non-linear
Verdict: playthrough 1 time for show (but not necessarily)


Official Bonus-Legend "Liberating the Mine"

Objectives: same goals every game with a random layout
Monster placement: monster placement is different every game by using the creature tokens
Boss: 1 out of 3 bosses
Feeling of story: no
Puzzle: no
My opinion: a good legend that due to many random factors can be a very challenging or very simple, bosses are very interesting
Verdict: you must play and win it 3 times to kill each boss, but it is possible to play more


Official Bonus-Legend "Battle for the Cavern"

Objectives: same goals every game with a random layout
Monster placement: the same monsters placement every game
Boss: no
Feeling of story: yes
Puzzle: yes
My opinion: interesting story, a lot of interesting ideas, but there is no replayability
Verdict: playthrough 1 time



Final thoughts

I think there's a lot of content and replayability in this box. Every Legend feels very different. Legend 3 is like full random game mode.

The game offers many options for creating your own legends. Especially when you combine it with expansions.

Another minor thing I like about this game it's the "N"d card which finalize and wrap out the session. There's almost no such thing in other co-ops.

Little piece of advice
Do not use green cards - it's too easy! I also recommend additional hard setup for Legend 3 from official FAQ:

Q: We are a very experienced group of gamers. How can we raise the difficulty level of Legend 3?
A: You should place 2 additional creature tokens on space C of the legend track. Furthermore move the N-token to space L of the Legend track.


Do not use dwarf when playing less than 4 heroes.

Also you can check out my review for big-box expansion "Journey to the North"!

Pictures from http://legenden-von-andor.de/

27 
 Thumb up
1.75
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice overview of the different legends. I'm just not quite sure what your definition of puzzle is. Why does it say "yes" for legend 1 and "no" for legend 2?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
Nice overview of the different legends. I'm just not quite sure what your definition of puzzle is. Why does it say "yes" for legend 1 and "no" for legend 2?


Hi! Thank you for this question!

Because for me puzzle is when you must to find out some trick(s) to win. In Legend 1 there is a trick, in Legend 2 you just running, exploring, fighting and optimizing, also you can use different tactics in Legend 2 (especially with wardraks), also there is some changes depending on rune stones, and no trick
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the puzzle in Legend 2 was to figure out that the Rune stones are basically a red herring, present only to distract me from my actual goals (and introduce the rules associated with them) cool

(Although, I've seen reports of successfully completing it despite collecting the rune stones...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
For me the puzzle in Legend 2 was to figure out that the Rune stones are basically a red herring, present only to distract me from my actual goals (and introduce the rules associated with them) cool

(Although, I've seen reports of successfully completing it despite collecting the rune stones...)


I win this Legend with 2, 3 and 5 players - everytime with runestones So this Legend have many solutions and some randomisation => not really puzzle for me It's interesting though to try it without runestounes at all!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Because for me puzzle is when you must to find out some trick(s) to win. In Legend 1 there is a trick, in Legend 2 you just running, exploring, fighting and optimizing, also you can use different tactics in Legend 2 (especially with wardraks), also there is some changes depending on rune stones, and no trick


By trick, do you mean
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the fact that you have to go around the river to make it in time?
If so, I don't really see this as puzzle. In legend 1, it's just the only way to make it in time and it will be quite obvious if you study the map a bit. I think every legend is a puzzle because time is always crucial and moves/actions have to be optimized in all of them. But if your point is about inidicating which legends have just one winning strategy and which are more flexible, then I at least get your distinction now.

Edit: And I agree that the runestones in legend 2 are helpful. You don't even have to get all of them, one set can make a difference already. And since there is equipment that may help you gathering and sharing them, it's not really that time consuming...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:

By trick, do you mean
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the fact that you have to go around the river to make it in time?


This and

Spoiler (click to reveal)

* Huge benefit of using the archer in this mission
* Right using the guards in the castle
* Other tutorial things


I don't think this game more puzzle than for example Pandemic. But for some reason it is in "Puzzle" category and Pandemic is not. I assume it's because Legends like 1, 5 and Battle for the Cavern where you need to find out the trick.

Because optimisation - it's not a puzzle

hugolefou wrote:

You don't even have to get all of them, one set can make a difference already.


You use only 5 runestones in game, so it's possible to collect ONLY ONE set. Maybe you misread some rules? Check your plays!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, but

Uncivil wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
* Huge benefit of using the archer in this mission
* Right using the guards in the castle


are things that help you win in all legends.

Uncivil wrote:
You use only 5 runestones in game, so it's possible to collect ONLY ONE set. Maybe you misread some rules? Check your plays!


No, I got the rules alright. We played this legend recently and stopped collecting runestones after we had a complete set (luckily with the first 3 we discovered). For some reason I just thought there were 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
are things that help you win in all legends.


First time it's puzzle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPD:

I've heard that in KOSMOS edition there's no mention of variant for adjusting the difficulty of Legend 3 by putting "N" token on "M" or "L"?

I would highly recommend you to play Legend 3 with "N" token on letter "L" - it provides more strategic experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.