Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I, like (probably (hopefully)) many other Geeks out there, care quite a lot about box size of games, as it sometimes can influence my purchase (as someone with not a lot of shelf space, I need my boxes full of game and not air!)

But, I'm not great at visualising how big a box is given its measurements... so...

Dear Admins, how hard would it be to implement an applet or script that would show you how big the box front is? You could use the measurements in the database you have already and superimpose the drawn rectangle/square over the standard Ticket To Ride square, to see how every game box is in comparison to that benchmark box.

Is it just me that thinks this would be a super awesome feature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdotco wrote:
Dear Admins, how hard would it be to implement an applet or script that would show you how big the box front is? You could use the measurements in the database you have already and superimpose the drawn rectangle/square over the standard Ticket To Ride square, to see how every game box is in comparison to that benchmark box.

I don't personally feel the need for it, but if I did, I would wonder why Ticket To Ride is the arbitrary standard against which I must compare all other game sizes. I suppose many people have never seen TTR, so wouldn't find that a particularly helpful comparison.

It would perhaps be more useful to make a visualization comparing the sizes of 2 user-selected games (normally one game they know and one game they are curious about).

But it seems more useful for someone to learn how to visualize distances from measurements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe he is suggesting TTR since it is (probably) the most common box size and I imagine most gamers have a similar sized box in their collection.

But I would agree I don't see much need for it. I guess box size has never really been an issue in regards to my purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree not owning a ruler when you aren't capable of measuring things intuitively is definitely a you problem, not a bgg problem.

But also, why care about box size? Either you want a game or not. Stick other little boxes inside it to save space if it's too big.

Seems like this feature hits a tiny little overlap about people who care about space but also care about what boxes look like but don't actually care enough to measure either one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone should write a script to superimpose a standard reference pear over every box cover image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I agree not owning a ruler when you aren't capable of measuring things intuitively is definitely a you problem, not a bgg problem.

Did you give a thought to how rude this sounded before you hit send? Would you openly say something that... frank to someone you've just met for the first time?

Quote:

Either you want a game or not.

Yeah, but wanting a game isn't a mysterious force... It's because of artwork, rules, length, component quality, packaging, whatever you want. I think most people can qualify why they want/own a game. For me, box size matters.

Quote:

Seems like this feature hits a tiny little overlap about people who care about space but also care about what boxes look like but don't actually care enough to measure either one.

If mankind never bothered making "unnecessary" things, we'd still be using rulers and sticks instead of the Internet and smartphones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
sdotco wrote:

I don't personally feel the need for it, but if I did, I would wonder why Ticket To Ride is the arbitrary standard against which I must compare all other game sizes. I suppose many people have never seen TTR, so wouldn't find that a particularly helpful comparison.

It would perhaps be more useful to make a visualization comparing the sizes of 2 user-selected games (normally one game they know and one game they are curious about).

But it seems more useful for someone to learn how to visualize distances from measurements.

I chose Ticket To Ride because it is a bechmark for BGG already (They call that box size the Ticket To Ride size) and I think it's such a popular game that people would know it.

I think the suggestion to put any two sizes up against each other really cool, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.