Unknown» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rule questions please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Brocksieper
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
First of all congratulations for this great game. I like it very much and you almost thought on everything when creating the user guide which is very structured and good explaining.

Still now after 4-5 plays some special situations occured which I would like to get clarified:

1. Close combat together with stranger ranged attack

It is enemy movement time and a devourer will go on a healthy survivor on closed combat, but as enemies move all at once, even a stranger steps closer and will go for a ranged attack. So which is the correct order?
If I would first handle the devourer, within close combat the survivor will kill him and would get incapacitated. But at least one enemy less.
The stranger would then not shoot anymore.
But the other way, first only one round of close combat, then the stranger shots...the survivor is already incapacitated, no second round of close combat is needed, and in the end the devourer will heal himself.
So very different outcome...

2. Rockfall and Flood

After just facing a rockfall, 2 tiles later I am facing the flood.
Therefore I can not do the full knockback. What now? Do I get some punishment for not fulfilling the full knockback, like getting an injury?

3. Always maximum knockback?

In one situation I am a stranger forcing 3 knockbacks. To manage those, I go around around a corner for 2 tiles, so already out of sight of this stranger. If I would go the full 3 tiles, I would be in rage of another stranger who would get then for a ranged attack.
Is it allowed to stop after 2 tiles as the line of sight got blocked towards the stranger who introduced the knockback?

4. Stranger always shoots when spawned?

I understand the order when exploring a new tile, instant effect is the first thing to do. Which would be placing the stranger. Then the knockback appears...during the knockback the survivor would trigger a ranged attack. Is it meant to be that hard? In other words when exploring a stranger you always face an injury?

5. Why shoot on Brute?

As survivor action I shoot on a Brute, stunning it. But in the "enemy main" section the stunned is recovered already. So why should I waste an action on stunning? Only thing would be that other survivors would be able to cross the tile where the Brute is currently located without facing close combat. Is there more?

Would be great if you can find the time to clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Broxi4769 wrote:
First of all congratulations for this great game. I like it very much and you almost thought on everything when creating the user guide which is very structured and good explaining.

Thanks! We are glad you are enjoying it! We know that we scared some people with the 40 page manual, but it got that big because we tried to cover all the angles so that is nice to hear.

Broxi4769 wrote:
1. Close combat together with stranger ranged attack

It is enemy movement time and a devourer will go on a healthy survivor on closed combat, but as enemies move all at once, even a stranger steps closer and will go for a ranged attack. So which is the correct order?
If I would first handle the devourer, within close combat the survivor will kill him and would get incapacitated. But at least one enemy less.
The stranger would then not shoot anymore.
But the other way, first only one round of close combat, then the stranger shots...the survivor is already incapacitated, no second round of close combat is needed, and in the end the devourer will heal himself.
So very different outcome...

The stranger would shoot right after his move (during the enemy movement phase), before close combat (during the enemy combat phase). The survivor would be injured by the stranger, then proceed to close combat with the devourer. The devourer heals before the enemy combat phase, so he would remain injured until the end of the players' next round.

An additional question that you didn't mention in that scenario is that the barrier dropped by the Devourer might be in the way of the Stranger's ranged attack. Since both of those happen simultaneously, the shot still happens.

Broxi4769 wrote:
2. Rockfall and Flood

After just facing a rockfall, 2 tiles later I am facing the flood.
Therefore I can not do the full knockback. What now? Do I get some punishment for not fulfilling the full knockback, like getting an injury?

No, you just get knocked back as far as possible, but there is no penalty. Also, running into those barriers does not remove one.

Broxi4769 wrote:
3. Always maximum knockback?

In one situation I am a stranger forcing 3 knockbacks. To manage those, I go around around a corner for 2 tiles, so already out of sight of this stranger. If I would go the full 3 tiles, I would be in rage of another stranger who would get then for a ranged attack.
Is it allowed to stop after 2 tiles as the line of sight got blocked towards the stranger who introduced the knockback?

You may always choose to end it before doing anything that would cause immediate damage. We could have worded that clearer on page 13, but that is the intent. This only applies to damage that would happen right after the knockback, not for things like putting yourself in a spot where an enemy will damage you when they move.

Broxi4769 wrote:
4. Stranger always shoots when spawned?

I understand the order when exploring a new tile, instant effect is the first thing to do. Which would be placing the stranger. Then the knockback appears...during the knockback the survivor would trigger a ranged attack. Is it meant to be that hard? In other words when exploring a stranger you always face an injury?

No, we are not (quite) that mean. It's summarized on the quick reference, which glosses over this case, but we do specify on page 24 that it happens after his knockback. If you are out of his range by then, he won't shoot.

Broxi4769 wrote:
5. Why shoot on Brute?

As survivor action I shoot on a Brute, stunning it. But in the "enemy main" section the stunned is recovered already. So why should I waste an action on stunning? Only thing would be that other survivors would be able to cross the tile where the Brute is currently located without facing close combat. Is there more?

Stunning a Brute is probably not something you want to be doing often. Like you say, it's not incredibly helpful in most circumstances. There are times when it is needed though. If you shoot him as your first action and you are close enough, you can run by. Someone might need to get food past him to base, he might be standing on base preventing you from trading, he might be stacked with enemies you want separate, etc. Sometimes one tile of enemy movement can make all the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Brocksieper
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
Hi Dave,

great, many thanks for your detailed response. Now everything is clear.
Yesterday I managed the "normal"MAP Mission with 4 survivors and "normal" number of enemies.

I was lucky that 3 enemies did not come up until I finished, however I faced 2 blazes which is some burden.

Really a great game, well balanced and I like the rule book as you can quickly find what you want to clarify.
I hope you have big success with the game so you will develop a next one. Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
dschro1 wrote:
Broxi4769 wrote:
5. Why shoot on Brute?

Stunning a Brute is probably not something you want to be doing often. Like you say, it's not incredibly helpful in most circumstances. There are times when it is needed though. If you shoot him as your first action and you are close enough, you can run by. Someone might need to get food past him to base, he might be standing on base preventing you from trading, he might be stacked with enemies you want separate, etc. Sometimes one tile of enemy movement can make all the difference.

Just to clarify, in addition to being able to pass through a tile occupied stunned Brute without combat, you also benefit from the Brute not moving that turn, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
foldedcard wrote:
Just to clarify, in addition to being able to pass through a tile occupied stunned Brute without combat, you also benefit from the Brute not moving that turn, right?

Correct, he essentially uses his turn to stand up instead of moving. You can also interact with the tile normally, trading, gathering, placing traps, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.