Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good piece.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440002/ncaa-north-caro...

Quote:
Social-justice warriors, however, can’t leave well enough alone. Is the trend now that major sporting events can only occur in progressive-approved locations? Will we now be subject to a parade of progressive-approved (and only progressive-approved) player demonstrations? And spare me any argument that our sporting culture is opening itself up to free expression. I’m glad neither the NFL nor the San Francisco 49ers are punishing Colin Kaepernick, but just ask Curt Schilling how much the progressive sports elite values dissent from the social-justice orthodoxy.

I don’t mind if individual players or owners express themselves, so long as it is clearly understood that all viewpoints are welcome. I mind, however, when the sporting elite decides to turn professional and college athletics into a sweatier version of a progressive college campus, speech codes and all. I mind when social-justice warriors try to wield the awesome economic power of sports — built via the pocketbooks of all Americans — to punish conservatives, especially Christian conservatives.

And I posted on FBRSP...

Quote:
Look, I'm an ardent 1st Amendment defender and advocate. Especially for unpopular speech. BUT...time, place, context. This is not this guy's platform. It is owned by someone else. In any workplace, you don't get to just go in and say whatever you want, whenever. Also, the NFL is about tradition, family, Mom and apple pie. You may find that hokey, but that's what it is. And when getting paid millions to play a game, if you can't find it in your heart to appreciate it sincerely, you can at least pick a better moment for your whatever. At the very least, if you are going to crap on traditions that you don't really understand, you could indicate you have actually put some thought both into them and into your own politics. Or you can do it the way you are doing it, with apparel depicting dictators and cartoon pig-cops and get dissed and rightfully so.

Ie, quite a different response to Tim Tebow than to Copernick, from the usual suspects taking the oh so predictable positions.

At least Tebow had the good manners not try to disrupt the National Anthem with bumper sticker Facebook meme grandstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another example of telling blacks to sit down and shutup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any "journalist" using the words "social justice warrior" is hunting for a pretty legit job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well he was already sitting quietly during the anthem, so they're a little late.

The NFL (and NCAA) is about money. It is about sickening ammounts of money. It is a self perpetuating all consuming profit machine, nothing else matters.

Somewhere in thst cavernous maw is something that used to be a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm more concerned about the billions going to build new stadiums for these jackasses every twenty years than I am about social justice crusading. One can be annoying. The other can cost people their lives when firefighting and police services are cut back in order to float stadium bonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
stone wrote:
Look, I'm an ardent 1st Amendment defender and advocate. Especially for unpopular speech. BUT...time, place, context. This is not this guy's platform. It is owned by someone else. In any workplace, you don't get to just go in and say whatever you want, whenever. Also, the NFL is about tradition, family, Mom and apple pie. You may find that hokey, but that's what it is.

Forced professions of Nationalism are icky. Tradition is no excuse. If the guy doesn't want to stand, he doesn't have to stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, literally exercising first amendment rights is ok for me, but not for thee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Doc Mage wrote:
So, literally exercising first amendment rights is ok for me, but not for thee.
shake JUST & ONLY 'moi'! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jmilum wrote:
Forced professions of Nationalism are icky. Tradition is no excuse. If the guy doesn't want to stand, he doesn't have to stand.
WHOSE "pay taxes" EXCEPT the NFL too? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
tstone wrote:

Look, I'm an ardent 1st Amendment defender and advocate. Especially for unpopular speech. BUT...time, place, context. This is not this guy's platform. It is owned by someone else. In any workplace, you don't get to just go in and say whatever you want, whenever. Also, the NFL is about tradition, family, Mom and apple pie. You may find that hokey, but that's what it is. And when getting paid millions to play a game, if you can't find it in your heart to appreciate it sincerely, you can at least pick a better moment for your whatever. At the very least, if you are going to crap on traditions that you don't really understand, you could indicate you have actually put some thought both into them and into your own politics. [/b]Or you can do it the way you are doing it, with apparel depicting dictators and cartoon pig-cops and get dissed and rightfully so.

Wait. I seem to remember someone being upset about the uproar about Matt Taylor wearing a chintzy pinup shirt at a teleconference about landing a module on a comet.

"Time, place, context"? An astrophysicist working at the European Space Agency is held to a lower standard than an NFL quarterback?

"In any workplace, you don't get to just go in and say whatever you want, whenever"? Except if you work at the ESA, you get to do whatever. Obvi. Especially during an important historic broadcast.

"Also, the NFL is about tradition, family, Mom and apple pie...And when getting paid millions to play a game, if you can't find it in your heart to appreciate it sincerely, you can at least pick a better moment for your whatever." Uhh, and what's the ESA about? Scientific excellence and presumably associated professionalism?

I kind of agree about the Tebow part though. The rest of it is completely inconsistent with any stance you have ever taken on the First Amendment.

Either people are getting piled on unfairly for expressing themselves, or they aren't. People are calling for boycotts of 49er games, for him to be fired, etc. These are all things that would normally have you seeing red. Like WTF, dude. I get you don't agree with him, but this is hardly consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the core idea of the article ("SJWs" ruining sports) to be kind of interesting considering, cynical as I can be, I suspect most of these decisions are both publicity and profit decisions.

I mean, it totally could be them nasty "SJWs" moving things around, but as the article deftly points out, NCAA and stuff are pretty terrible entities. This isn't to say that the obnoxious fuckers don't have force, but I find it odd to blame them (especially when reasonable people get lumped under the "SJW" banner so often because of scary concerns about social stuff); blame the NCAA for not having a backbone or for making cynical profiteering attempts!

That said, I am in agreement that the shit Tebow got was awful. That said, I also think Copernick's form of protest was fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
M-A-S-S more 'massive-asses' SAT through "such" at home/etc. and even during their "Half-time Show"! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Like WTF, dude. I get you don't agree with him, but this is hardly consistent.

you're surprised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
AndrewRogue wrote:
I find the core idea of the article ("SJWs" ruining sports) to be kind of interesting considering, cynical as I can be, I suspect most of these decisions are both publicity and profit decisions.

I mean, it totally could be them nasty "SJWs" moving things around, but as the article deftly points out, NCAA and stuff are pretty terrible entities. This isn't to say that the obnoxious fuckers don't have force, but I find it odd to blame them (especially when reasonable people get lumped under the "SJW" banner so often because of scary concerns about social stuff); blame the NCAA for not having a backbone or for making cynical profiteering attempts!

That said, I am in agreement that the shit Tebow got was awful. That said, I also think Copernick's form of protest was fine.

The Tebow comparison in Trey's post was particularly apt with regard to how certain portions of the population tend to be inconsistent about free expression. Ironically, it was inconsistent with the rest of his post.

What I always find amusing in discussing any kind of free expression issue within the confines of the NFL is the idea that the NFL has an unassailable brand of mom and apple pie. FFS. The NFL has all kinds of issues with athletes that, say, beat their kids bloody, knock their wives unconscious in an elevator (or otherwise have the cops called for a domestic), or just generally get into illegal shit. But suddenly with this particular incident, their brand is being soiled too bad? WTF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:
she2 wrote:
Like WTF, dude. I get you don't agree with him, but this is hardly consistent.

you're surprised?

A little actually. I know the SJW stuff tends to get him going, but this seems kind of like a no-brainer for him. He hates boycotts and people being fired for taking an unpopular stance. I see no reason why that should only involve right-handed issues.

Maybe I've been wrong about him having any principles. I always thought I got at least part of what sets him off. But maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don’t mind if individual players or owners express themselves, so long as it is clearly understood that all viewpoints are welcome. I mind, however, when the sporting elite decides to turn professional and college athletics into a sweatier version of a progressive college campus, speech codes and all

In this case "the sporting elite" are made up of college officials, I don't know why he's surprised. He doesn't mind (how very magnanimous of him) if owners express themselves, but a group of owner making a group statement is bad?

tstone wrote:
Look, I'm an ardent 1st Amendment defender and advocate. Especially for unpopular speech. BUT...time, place, context. This is not this guy's platform. It is owned by someone else. In any workplace, you don't get to just go in and say whatever you want, whenever

I thought you were heavy into "when you see an injustice you must stand against it". As long as it doesn't cut into your TV time, I guess?

tstone wrote:
Also, the NFL is about tradition, family, Mom and apple pie. You may find that hokey, but that's what it is.

Just like marriage is about a dude and a girl. Your mental picture of what something should be doesn't make it so, nor is everyone beholden to it.

tstone wrote:
And when getting paid millions to play a game, if you can't find it in your heart to appreciate it sincerely, you can at least pick a better moment for your whatever.

I don't think he could have picked a better time.

tstone wrote:
At the very least, if you are going to crap on traditions that you don't really understand, you could indicate you have actually put some thought both into them and into your own politics.

"you don't think like I do, so you have no idea what you're doing and all you ideez R dum"

It is damn inconvenient when human rights infringe on a person's downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For BJ.....
mb
If football players spent more time beating up their girlfriends and snorting coke, rather than actively engaging and inspiring a political conversation on a tough topic, this would be a better world.

Clearly, he's been listening to Sarkeesian. That woman can cut a man's balls off with just YouTube video. She is a menace to masculinity everywhere.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
I see no reason why that should only involve right-handed issues.

good point, but ever since he's gone all whacko paranoid and accusing me of doxxing him, I think he truly has some psychological issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:
she2 wrote:
I see no reason why that should only involve right-handed issues.

good point, but ever since he's gone all whacko paranoid and accusing me of doxxing him, I think he truly has some psychological issues.

I was mostly avoiding that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

there's been several.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
tstone wrote:

Quote:
I mind, however, when the sporting elite decides to turn professional and college athletics into a sweatier version of a progressive college campus, speech codes and all.

Is this as foolish as it seems to me? The author objects to college athletics reflecting the values of the people in college?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:
she2 wrote:

there's been several.

I've been avoiding those threads by not noticing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things that seem to have been missed. I read the article. Jesus fuckballs.

1. Clearly the author hopes that nobody googles John Fucking Rocker, or what he said on multiple occasions, or why he was suspended by MLB. You know, lest we forget -- there's no reason to mention Rocker other than make a monument to O Mighty False Equivalence out of your own feces.

2. Also the author could've just said IS NOTHING SACRED FROM FAGGOTRY ANYMORE and collected an easy paycheck from NRO, but we wouldn't have had such clickbait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
If football players spent more time beating up their girlfriends and snorting coke, rather than actively engaging and inspiring a political conversation on a tough topic, this would be a better world.

Clearly, he's been listening to Sarkeesian. That woman can cut a man's balls off with just YouTube video. She is a menace to masculinity everywhere.

Darilian

I think if you say Sarkeesian's name three times, you summon her up like Beetlejuice and more SJW screeds get created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

The Tebow comparison in Trey's post was particularly apt with regard to how certain portions of the population tend to be inconsistent about free expression. Ironically, it was inconsistent with the rest of his post.

What I always find amusing in discussing any kind of free expression issue within the confines of the NFL is the idea that the NFL has an unassailable brand of mom and apple pie. FFS. The NFL has all kinds of issues with athletes that, say, beat their kids bloody, knock their wives unconscious in an elevator (or otherwise have the cops called for a domestic), or just generally get into illegal shit. But suddenly with this particular incident, their brand is being soiled too bad? WTF.

An NCAA league that is a friend to TEH GHEY? Overly politicized and buckling under to The Progressive Menace (TM).

An NFL league that signs this guy after knowing he's involved in a double shooting? ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.