$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Bane vs boon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just bought wrath of the righteous and man the rules are kind of confusing.

How do i know what a bane or a boon is?

Also the deck you make is the deck thats face down and thats where you pull your hand from right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WotR Rulebook p23 wrote:
Boon Cards (Weapon, Spell, Armor, Item, Ally, Blessing, and Loot)
Boons are cards you may be able to acquire and put into your hand or deck for future use. Weapons, spells, armors, items, allies, blessings, and loot are all boons. Each player may play only one of each type of boon on a single check. The following information appears on boons.

WotR Rulebook p24 wrote:
Bane Cards (Villain, Henchman, Monster, and Barrier)
You must defeat bane cards or suffer their consequences. Barriers and monsters appear randomly in location decks, while most scenarios call for specific villains and henchmen.

I recommend going to Paizo's website and downloading a PDF of the rulebook. That way you can search it for to find what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bane is anything bad. (Monster, Barrier)
Boon is anything good. (Spell, Weapon, Armor, Ally etc.)

you might want to read the guide in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:

you might want to read the guide in the files section.

Thats what i figured. Thought the cards had them labeled like everything else. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off...welcome to PACG!

Don't worry, this game is HARD to figure out from the rules alone. I read them twice when I first got the game and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do or how the game moved along. Watch a run through in the videos section (Rahdo, Box of Delights, Grey Elephant, etc.) to get an idea of the flow and it will make much more sense after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
First off...welcome to PACG!

Don't worry, this game is HARD to figure out from the rules alone. I read them twice when I first got the game and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was supposed to do or how the game moved along. Watch a run through in the videos section (Rahdo, Box of Delights, Grey Elephant, etc.) to get an idea of the flow and it will make much more sense after that.

Thanks, ive read through it a couple times as well and its a little overwhelming. Thabks for the advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely stick with it - things will start clicking and if you are like me, you will love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly a poster child for "poorly written rules."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

You can get by with this understanding in this set (Rise of the Runelords), but it is not true in the sets after that (Skull & Shackles, Wrath of the Righteous, and the upcoming Mummy's mask.)

Only certain cards are boons and banes. Hawkmoon gives the list from the rulebook in his post.

For example, in Wrath Cohorts are almost always good, but they're not boons. In Skull & Shackles, you have to defeat ships, but they are not banes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!

Don't forget the handy story guide, which makes the game more like an RPG. Check my bio (click on the picture) for links to more great PACG guides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Don't forget the handy story guide, which makes the game more like an RPG. Check my bio (click on the picture) for links to more great PACG guides!

Sweet love it.

So i watched rahdos playthrough and ended up doing a quick scenario with the wife. Went over really well.

Think i understand everything but the character decks and how they work. (I swear ive read the rulebook so dont hate me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What particular are you not understanding? What to do with them after the scenario? What they do during the scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
No, how to play the deck.

So i have 4 cards in my hand right. So if i take 2 damage, i discard 2. Do i draw anoyher 2 from my character deck?

Then when i explore and find an item and pass the check the item doesnt go in my hand, it goes into my deck right?

Also whats burying a card do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you take damage, you discard those cards. You do not automatically draw more cards to replace them (unless a card tells you to do so), until it is time to reset your hand at the end of your turn.

Items (and Armors, Weapons, Spells, Allies, Blessings) acquired by passing a check go into your hand (again, unless a card specifically says otherwise).

Burying a card means putting it under your Character Card. It is not available again until you rebuild your deck at the end of the Scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Cgwara wrote:
No, how to play the deck.

So i have 4 cards in my hand right. So if i take 2 damage, i discard 2. Do i draw anoyher 2 from my character deck?

Then when i explore and find an item and pass the check the item doesnt go in my hand, it goes into my deck right?

You only draw when an effect says to draw or when resetting your hand at the end of the turn. So when you take 2 damage and discard 2 cards, you simply continue on with your turn with your remaining cards-in-hand. If you are forced to take damage and have no cards in your hand, there's just no effect.

When you explore and find a boon and pass the check to acquire, the card does directly into your hand.

When you discard a card for damage, you can use healing effects to recover that card later. When you bury a card, there is generally no way to get that card into your deck again during the current scenario: so burying is a more serious "wound" than damage is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cgwara wrote:

I think everyone else answered most of what you are asking. In case you were asking literally where the card goes, buried cards go underneath your character card (the one with your skills and powers on it). 99.999% of the time, they will stay there for the rest of the scenario. But you still get to use them when you rebuild your deck after the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sweet thanks everyone for being patient with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
For others running across this in search results all the time, here's a Raise Dead and a tip:
I printed out and laminated some reference sheets from the files section here. They can be immensely helpful.

See: Pathfinder Rules Summary and Reference Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.