Brian Geringer
United States
Forestburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is my favorite game!!

My son is turning 8 this month. Could an 8 year old really play this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would say so. The rules and scoring are extremely simplified. Vasel just did a vid on it with some good points on the simplifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hellström
Sweden
Kalmar
Sverige
flag msg tools
I agree with Jeremy. I also have a 7 year old. And he do not do the best choices all the time, but sometimes grown up also make wrong decisions .

So with coaching/guiding in the beginning made my kid like this game with all the animals and buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Geringer
United States
Forestburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Ordered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Taddeo
United States
El Cajon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, my son turned 7 today and he had no problem with it. Although he's been playing euro's since he was 3. His long term planning wasn't the best but acceptable. After a second or third play he'll be dialed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, it's good for anyone who can read , whatever their age. Or even, anyone who *wants* to read ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 y.o. (a "young" 7 y.o. ) did just awesome at this. We did help her prepare for harvests, but otherwise she played her own game. The game itself is totally language independent, and none of the iconography is overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Geringer
United States
Forestburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only three more days till I give it to him. I can't wait!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Peyster
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
My 7 year old was able to play it as well. What I found very helpful for teaching was to exploit the solo game set-up and have our first play-through be a solo game where we just talked out the options and strategies in a cooperative fashion. By the end of that game, she was ready to dive into a 2-player game.

That said, while a 7 or 8 or 9 year old with some gaming experience will be able to grasp the mechanics and rules pretty quickly, I think this game falls into that category of games where a kid can play it, but a kid won't win it when playing against adults unless the adults are purposefully taking it easy. Most kids in that age range will struggle significantly to employ anything but the most simplistic strategies which tend to fail to account for future move combos, blocking opponents, etc. There's nothing *wrong* with playing a simple strategy, but a simple strategy will almost never win when pitted against someone playing a more complex strategy.

Nonetheless, this is an awesome gateway worker placement game and there's tremendous value in that for young gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just the sort of thread I was looking for!

Has anybody tried this game with even a younger child - maybe 5 years old?

My daughter is by no means a genius, but she has grown up playing games and she's pretty good at understanding and remembering rules with minimal coaching. She does pretty well with games like Ticket to Ride: First Journey and Evolution: Beginnings. Do you think the rules for this game are too extensive for a 5 year old to keep track of? I'm not worried about her understanding strategy. That will come later. I just want her to be able to remember what she can and cannot do during her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:

My daughter is by no means a genius, but she has grown up playing games and she's pretty good at understanding and remembering rules with minimal coaching. She does pretty well with games like Ticket to Ride: First Journey and Evolution: Beginnings. Do you think the rules for this game are too extensive for a 5 year old to keep track of? I'm not worried about her understanding strategy. That will come later. I just want her to be able to remember what she can and cannot do during her turn.
I'll only speak for my children, both of whom are bright (but in different way), but neither could have played this at 5. Neither would have had the attention span. I suppose that at a very simple mechanistic level, it's "put down a worker and do what the space says," and since the iconography is very good, a 5 y.o. could do that. But it's not going to translate into playing the game (though when my kids were really small I had a very liberal take on what "playing a game" meant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Skurr
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
Certainly an 8 year old can play it. My 8 and 9 year olds do and enjoy it. They both play chess ok also! (similar decision making skills (forward thinking) required)

I also think it is at the level where they can not only play it they can also win it.

OP Now that you have the game - what is your opinion for an 8 year old?

I do think it is a bit to long for a five year old to sit through and focus on. 7/8 is a more realistic age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

I'll only speak for my children, both of whom are bright (but in different way), but neither could have played this at 5. Neither would have had the attention span. I suppose that at a very simple mechanistic level, it's "put down a worker and do what the space says," and since the iconography is very good, a 5 y.o. could do that. But it's not going to translate into playing the game (though when my kids were really small I had a very liberal take on what "playing a game" meant).

I'd echo this. My daughter is a bit over 6. She would have wanted to play, but would not have been able to see it to the end. It is about 45-60 minutes. For her, we spent 2 evenings going over the rules and pictures in the rulebook (instead of reading a story before bed :whistle: ). After, she kinda understood what she would be trying to do:

Grow the farm
Grow the family
Feed the family

When we sat down and played the first time, I was able to help her on her turn by asking which of the 3 she wanted to try to do this time, and where did she think she should go to do that.

I had to help with explaining how stables and harvesting work, but she REALLY liked it and wants to play again this weekend. It definitely helps to explain the rules as they pertain to the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked this game up over the weekend, and I taught my 12 and 10 year-old daughters the game last night. They both picked up on the concepts pretty easily, and we only had to do minor rules clarifications after we started up. They both really liked the game, and I'm sure it will get to the table reasonably often. FYI, we played a 4-player game (me, my wife, and 2 kids).

The nice thing about this game for less experienced gamers is that the theme ties in nicely to the actions, which creates some logical chains that are easy to understand. The streamlining of the game works really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Everyone is saying the game is so simple that little kids could play it etc. But then i see a component picture like this and I can't imagine trying to teach and play this with my family:

That's a hell of a lot of iconography for a family game. Imagine if Ticket to Ride had the same amount of symbols on it. I haven't played the game, however I like the idea of a "family" version of Agricola.

I'm not sure if this is it. Maybe some people posting here are forgetting what it's like to teach games to non-gamers?

Anyways, I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You point out the upper right is what it costs to get, what's in the box is what it does, and the part at the bottom is for the end of the game. That's not going to be difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Maybe some people posting here are forgetting what it's like to teach games to non-gamers?

Who's talking about teaching this to non-gamers? The people in this thread talking about playing this with 8 to 10-year-olds have probably been playing games with them since they were toddlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Everyone is saying the game is so simple that little kids could play it etc. But then i see a component picture like this and I can't imagine trying to teach and play this with my family:

That's a hell of a lot of iconography for a family game. Imagine if Ticket to Ride had the same amount of symbols on it. I haven't played the game, however I like the idea of a "family" version of Agricola.

I'm not sure if this is it. Maybe some people posting here are forgetting what it's like to teach games to non-gamers?

Anyways, I'd be happy to be wrong but I'm not sure.

The picture is misleading and makes it seem more complicated than it is in practice. For example, several of the improvements all basically do the same thing, just with different resources. Also, you don't have to explain all the actions at once. As you go down the track, you can introduce each new action as it comes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the game's busiest tiles without a doubt, but divide into two types: food converters, and tiles that convert "slop" into endgame points. The former group must be understood in order to play the game, while the latter group can be ignored. My kids had no trouble understanding either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.