Hide
10 Posts

Smash Up: Cease and Desist» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ignobles - Selecting cards to destroy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Roberts
msg tools
My son and I played our first game of Cease and Desist today and some cards from The Ignobles confused me slightly.

'Fate of the Favourites' requires each player to destroy a minion they own. In this case, can I select a 'cannot be destroyed' minion when I have regular minion in play?

The 'Red Birthday Party' is similar. Can I choose an invulnerable minion?

Previously we've allowed Buccaneer and Powder Keg to work together, but I wasn't sure about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I sadly don't have the set yet and don't know the exact wording of the card, but unless it says "to" the unit doesn't need to die for the affect to take place. A common example that can be used form the core game is the sacrifice card from the wizards the card does not "destroy x 'to' do y". it says "destroy and". unless it specifically uses "to" it does not need to be completed, so you can use it on indestructible units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roberts
msg tools
I searched the forums on prior rulings for 'Powderkeg' I'm happy to play the 'Red Birthday Party' the same way. I.E. A 'Cannot be destroyed' minion can be selected to trigger the other minions destruction, but it will survive.

I'm still unsure about 'Fate of the Favourites'. The card texts says "Each player destroys a minion they own.".

Now... IF it said something like "Each player selects a Minion. That Minion is destroyed." Then it would be clearer, since selecting a 'Cannot be destroyed' minion would be done first, before the attempt to destroy it.

On the flip side, I've read previously that we should "Do as much of the rule as we can". In that sense, if there's an unprotected Minion in play, then selecting it seems like it's doing as much of what the card says should be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When a card tells you to destroy a minion, it's implied that whoever does the destruction must first choose a minion to destroy, and then destroy it (or at least attempt to do so).
The same goes for most abilities like "One of your minions gains +2 power until the end of the turn" or "Return one of your minions to its owner's hand", it's implied you have to choose a minion first, even if that minion cannot be affected/returned/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kriegaffe wrote:
My son and I played our first game of Cease and Desist today and some cards from The Ignobles confused me slightly.

'Fate of the Favourites' requires each player to destroy a minion they own. In this case, can I select a 'cannot be destroyed' minion when I have regular minion in play?

Yes, you may choose an indestructible minion as the target of a "destroy" command:
Rule book, p. 13 para. 4 wrote:
You can play a card even if its ability
can’t or doesn’t happen. For example,
you can play an action that destroys a
minion even if
no minions are in play,
or if the minion you choose is immune
to destruction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
[q="Kriegaffe"]My son and I played our first game of Cease and Desist today and some cards from The Ignobles confused me slightly.

Yes, you may choose an indestructible minion as the target of a "destroy" command:
Rule book, p. 13 para. 4]You can play a card even if its ability
can’t or doesn’t happen. For example,
you can play an action that destroys a
minion even if
no minions are in play,
or if the minion you choose is immune
to destruction
.[/q wrote:

What about if there is another minion that could be targeted. For instance, some cards say that all players must choose one of their minions to be destroyed. As I understand it, if you have two minions, one which cannot be destroyed and one that can be destroyed, then you must destroy the one that is not protected. The targeting you are referencing I believe is when you are targeting an opponent's minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team D20 wrote:
What about if there is another minion that could be targeted. For instance, some cards say that all players must choose one of their minions to be destroyed. As I understand it, if you have two minions, one which cannot be destroyed and one that can be destroyed, then you must destroy the one that is not protected. The targeting you are referencing I believe is when you are targeting an opponent's minion.

You may always choose the target of an effect to be something immune to that effect, even if there are other vulnerable targets in play. Even with Unfathomable Goals, the card I think you were referring to.

I have contemplated having "you must do X" mean you have to choose a vulnerable target for X, but so far Paul has not seen a need for that. It may change in the future, though.

As others have stated, cards that say "you must destroy X to do Y" mean that if you do not actually destroy X you may not do Y, so destroying is required here as a prerequisite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Team D20 wrote:

You may always choose the target of an effect to be something immune to that effect, even if there are other vulnerable targets in play. Even with Unfathomable Goals, the card I think you were referring to.

I have contemplated having "you must do X" mean you have to choose a vulnerable target for X, but so far Paul has not seen a need for that. It may change in the future, though.

As others have stated, cards that say "you must destroy X to do Y" mean that if you do not actually destroy X you may not do Y, so destroying is required here as a prerequisite.
Well I stand corrected then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Ivan
msg tools
So can you select Game Guru or Elder Thing to be destroyed? Because they technically arn't invulnerable, but they are also suppose to be immune to other players' cards/abilities. If you can select either game guru or elder thing for termination, do they get destroyed or are they immune?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can really target any minion.

If the minion can't be destroyed, the destruction fails (obviously).

If the minion can't be affected by the card, then the destruction also fails, because "being destroyed" is included in the definition of "being affected".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.