Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love introducing games to my 5th grade class from time to time. I am looking for a game that is at most 45 minutes long. That plays well with 2 players, but can handle up to 4 or 5 players. Something that has some strategy and is easy to understand. Most of all a game that will have people wanting to play it again!

Here are the three that I am considering: TransAmerica, Cartagena, and Clans.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All those are good choices. Also check out That's Life!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I saw that you owned 'Hey! That's My Fish!' so perhaps that's something that's already been introduced. Otherwise I think it would be a good choice.

Transamerica is nice and easy but I wouldn't recommend it for less than four players.

Ingenious and Fjords might be good. The latter is only for two players however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride can be done in 30 minutes if you explain the game well and you make sure to keep people moving quickly on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These all fit the requirements:

Carcassonne (leave out any expansions to the base game at first or get H&G or Ark Of The Covenant)
Ingenious
Hey! That's My Fish
Category 5
Blokus
Pitchcar
Through the Desert
Crokinole
Bohnanza
Rumis
Wings Of War series
Liar's Dice
Winner's Circle
Survive!
Mystery Rummy series/Wyatt Earp
Loopin' Louie
Ticket To Ride
Gulo Gulo
Bausack
Fairy Tale
Nexus Ops
Loco!
Pick Picknic
Cartagena
Ubongo
Kingdoms
Flaschenteufel
Hamsterrolle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and love playing TTR, but it plays too long with my students. I am looking for something a little shorter.

I play Hey, That's My Fish, For Sale, and Citadels with them. We never finish Citadels, but the kids love the character cards.

I thought Transamerica looked interested, but have not heard much about it with fewer than 4 people.

Does anyone own both Clans and Cartagena? Can you compare the two in terms of popularity with your group, 2 player gameplay, and time to teach/set-up?

Thanks for the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TransAmerica is good but I've never played it with less than 5. Clans scales well from 2 to 4; it's one of those easy to teach but hard to master games and it takes about 5 minutes to set up. Both games should easily play within the time frame you're seeking. I haven't played Cartagena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TransAmerica, most definitely! Not bad with two or three, excellent fun with four or more. It can also be fun with teams.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1437328#1437328
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd, go with Cartagena. Pirates...kids love pirates!!! Simple game, but still fun for up to five. My college age students dig it; I see no reason younger folks wouldn't, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
TransAmerica, most definitely! Not bad with two or three, excellent fun with four or more. It can also be fun with teams.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1437328#1437328

I second that-Transamerica rocks 2-6. Very easy to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carcassonne fits your requirements perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally Citadels playes for an 60-90 minytes, but you can adjust game length by playing to a different number of districts.

The rules in my set say 8 districts but recommend 7 for shorter games. I rarely play to 8 unless with a small crowd, and recently got in an end-of-day 6 players game playing to 6 districts in 45 minutes (4 of the players had a train to catch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:

Except its boring,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
elirlandes wrote:

Except its boring,

Definitely not boring. I'm a newbie, but this game is the only reason why I'm interested in the entire eurogame movement.

I don't want to list the reason why it's great, just read all the reviews and sessions on this site.

Great game and lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader123 wrote:
Definitely not boring. I'm a newbie, but this game is the only reason why I'm interested in the entire eurogame movement...

I KNEW I'd get a response on that one!

Certainly 1,000's of people love the game. In reality, I think it's a decent game. My wife loves it. My kids (12 and 14) hate it. They'd rather watch paint dry. They enjoy TransAmerica more, I think because there's more action.

I'm just guessing, but I think the "meeple management" aspect of Carc is probaby more interesting to adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan.

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=65
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
The RallyBird Baseball board game
mbmbmbmbmb
How about...Tower of Babel? Maybe a little ambitious for this purpose... I think is easy to teach, and it has almost zero downtime, which I think anyone including kids appreciate... The constant trading makes it very social. It is a light-medium weight game with several different ways to earn points, even when it's not your turn, so everyone could feel some accomplishment. It's not expensive. One could make the argument that it has an educational aspect, too. You could skip the special action cards to make it simpler (some say better), although on the other hand, the kids might enjoy them. I think 45 minutes is about right when people know the rules.

Great idea, by the way--I wish you success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Taraday
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
doesn't work too well with 4 but maybe Quoridor?

Fearsome Floors would work also.

if you use a short course and no weapons RoboRally is also possable (though doubt it would work often under 45min)

maybe some game of munchkin (though not much strategy and maybe not the type of humor for a young group)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik B
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
"No Thanks!" might work... or is that 3 players minimum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
dvader123 wrote:
Definitely not boring. I'm a newbie, but this game is the only reason why I'm interested in the entire eurogame movement...

I KNEW I'd get a response on that one!

Certainly 1,000's of people love the game. In reality, I think it's a decent game. My wife loves it. My kids (12 and 14) hate it. They'd rather watch paint dry. They enjoy TransAmerica more, I think because there's more action.

I'm just guessing, but I think the "meeple management" aspect of Carc is probaby more interesting to adults.

Lol...yeah, I read that and I had to respond. Call me a fanboy, but I think Carc gets unfairly critiqued. Mostly because people think there's too much luck.

I'm not saying it's on the same level as Chess or Go, but I think the game requires more skill and strategy than the average gamer gives it credit for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.