$30.00
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For about two months I just started collecting plastic bits and parts I found on the streets, they started to pile up pretty fast.

I melted some parts with a standard lighter and bented them a little bit here and there to make the parts a bit less clean and unrecognizable from everyday parts.

This gave them a more broken look. I then started to glue stuff on the stands and just tried to make them look like barriers. Sometimes I sawed off some parts of the plastic.

These included old pen caps, caps from shampoo bottles, clothespin and all stuff I could get my hands on basically.

Afterwards I just spraypainted them with some grey primer I got for 2 euros at the Action.

At a store that sells useless cheap stuff (Big Bazaar) I found this army toyset which had a tank, chopper and a humvee at about the same scale as the minis.

Here is the stuff laid out on the board with some minis next to them.
The tank and humvee can of course be used as cars in the game.

I decided I would make a big rubble into a crashed helicopter site. I sawed off a bit of the blade and the rotor area at first.I melted the side a bit so it looked like it was tilted a bit.

I planned the second big area more with metal beams and a surprise victim buried under the rubble, poor soldier!

The next step was to fill up the rubble with more plastic stuff. To make it a bit more messy I just mixed the dust from the MDF with some glue and smeared it on all the rubble parts.

After I was done with the basic plastic parts I filled the remaining areas with little bits and pieces. I also added some electric wires here and there

I also made 4 smaller rubble with all kinds of plastic parts.

There were also some barbed fences with the plastic toy kit which I spraypainted metallic and smeared with the sawdusted glue. This gives it a more worn down look.

Now it was time to spraypaint all the parts to remove all the colors and create the illusion of collapsed buildings.

This was the final result with all the parts I made.

Now check out the 3D parts layed out on the board, I am pretty happy with the result. The only downside is that it takes some space of course but efficient piling could counteract a little bit of this problem of course You also have the option to paint it for more details.

Hope this helps a little bit for everyone out there who wants to try out and create some cool 3D stuff, its really not expensive to this! (Only cost me some glue and some spraypaint)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The very final result is cool. Some high skilled paint over (I mean, realistic color painting) over those would be gorgeous...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really cool ideas

For rubble you can do something very cheap and easily. Look for The Dms Craft on youtube. In one of his videos he shows how to make rubble out of styrofoam bits. This guy is a freakin genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah that guy is a real pro

What I wanted to convey is that there is so much stuff just lying on the streets like boards of wood, metal and plastic pieces you can repurpose into boardgame objects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for sure! You gave me a good idea by buying that army stuff. I go to the dollar store and see that crap there all the time but it looks so cheesy and cheap! Put some paint on it like you did, and then do a half decent paint job and it becomes something that adds a lot of atmosphere to your game. I like that helicopter wreck. I would be interested doing something similar for City of Horror!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great ideas and execution.

The scale looks a little off on the vehicles though.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

Great ideas and execution.

The scale looks a little off on the vehicles though.

~Will

Thanks! I am really a fan of making custom stuff for games to enrich the experience but without having to pay a lot of money for it

It is true that they are nog a perfect scale match but for a 1 euro bag full of plastic crap I think it is alright laugh

It probably would have been better to integrate them into the rubble aswell like the chopper, then you won't notice the scale at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff. I use stuff from toysoldierdepot for terrain. It' fun finding junk or cheap stuff and transforming it into something for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melle de Jong
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to add some paint to the pieces

They are not quite finished but adding even a couple of colors really improve the pieces, way better playing with them now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

I picked up some Secret Weapon bases Urban Rubble bases for 3D terrain. Drybrushing and washes got me pretty far, although I should pick out details sometime so you can see them without having to click on the pictures!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1291428/painting-tutorial-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.