Victoriana» Forums » General

Subject: Rahdo's Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Rahdo really likes the game! Good news.

I'm wondering if any adjustments will be made based on some of his thoughts?

The one that concerns me the most is the game feeling a little long. If that happens, my kids won't want to play it again.

Will there be rules to quicken the beginning of the game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'long' statement kinda caught my ear too along with 'fiddly'. I think it may end up coming down to a taste thing. As he was talking about it I couldn't help but think of Arkham Horror with all it's fiddliness stretched out over 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The creators say that when they play it with people familiar with it, they are consistently hitting 45-60 minutes. For a game like this, an hour is what I'd expect quite honestly. It shouldn't be too simple or too short or the "story" will feel a bit too easy/light. I like the game even more that there is a clear video of how it flows. The decisions seem interesting. Like you are combing the city tracking down plots and leads. Very much a board game equivalent of Consulting Detective in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:
The 'long' statement kinda caught my ear too along with 'fiddly'. I think it may end up coming down to a taste thing. As he was talking about it I couldn't help but think of Arkham Horror with all it's fiddliness stretched out over 4 hours.

Doesn't seem very fiddly at all from the gameplay video. Nothing like Mage Knight or Arkham Horror. Seems straightforward enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lawrence
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there could be adjustments made to shorten it, but Keith's point above about the story length is right on. Shorten it too much, and the tension evaporates and a victory/loss will lose its impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lawrence
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Rahdo mentions in his video, division of tasks really helps as well. When BJ and I play, we both have assigned duties. One person rolls dice, one person assembles the next lead stack, etc.

It helps accelerate play and keeps everyone engaged on others' turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lawrence
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:

Joel, I feel your pain with Arkham Horror. Trust me, it's nothing close to that. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradbard wrote:
As Rahdo mentions in his video, division of tasks really helps as well. When BJ and I play, we both have assigned duties. One person rolls dice, one person assembles the next lead stack, etc.

So not only are you as characters in the game cooperating, but you as players of the game also.

bradbard wrote:
jwski wrote:

Joel, I feel your pain with Arkham Horror. Trust me, it's nothing close to that. : )

And for some inexplicable reason I keep going back to AH. Like some maddening dream that haunts me in the night, calling me to follow, to where I do not know; I dare not ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lawrence
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:
bradbard wrote:

So not only are you as characters in the game cooperating, but you as players of the game also.

You got it!

bradbard wrote:
jwski wrote:

And for some inexplicable reason I keep going back to AH. Like some maddening dream that haunts me in the night, calling me to follow, to where I do not know; I dare not ask.[/q]

@Joel: It's so meta. The game is the tool of the Great Old Ones. : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.