$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
Or Shkol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Red and Blue are the most common obviously, but is it possible to incorporate more colors into the same picture?

I would guess it might also be possible with yellow since it's a primary color, but I haven't seen one yet.

My goal is to have 4-6 colors so that each player could have his own decoder, but I don't know if it's scientifically possible.

Would love to hear your thoughts about it.
THANKS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think you can hide multiple messages as long as you put them in different parts of the card so they don't overlap. Otherwise, it would be tricky to combine. But how many colors would actualy work? Yellow is probably not strong enough a color to hide a message in.

You can probably play with this using a program like GIMP. I think if you find a picture on-line that uses this, technique, you can mess with the color filters to see the message. If so, then you can test with other colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A google search found this old post and funny enough I gave a not so useful comment then too...

How to create red filter messages on cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Or Shkol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response, but it seems that this one is a dead end question. It would be kind if you could delete your comments I'll be able to delete the thread to clear up the forums clutter
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergeant Grey
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me please, is "'red reveal' password thingy" and industry term? Knowledge is power!

geekgold tip offered as thank you in advance for being a good sport. Keep smilin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
orshk wrote:
It would be kind if you could delete your comments I'll be able to delete the thread to clear up the forums clutter

That is not how forums usually work. Typically old threads are kept around so that people can search for them. They don't really clutter things because threads are displayed in order of the most recent reply.

Regarding your original question: my understanding of the practicalities of this sort of technique are limited, but my guess is that in theory you can have an unlimited number of different color filters, but realistically you can only have about 2 or 3.

The basic premise is that you view the image through a filter that only lets in 1 color of light, so any parts of the image that are emitting that color look "white" (actually the color of the filter), and any parts that aren't emitting that color look black (because their light doesn't get through). So when you use a red filter, the red and white areas both look red, and everything else looks black.

However, real filters don't just let through 1 color, they actually let through a range of colors. For instance, a "red" filter might actually let through a little orange light along with the red.

Similarly, real inks don't just emit 1 color, they emit a range of colors. "Blue" ink isn't 100% blue, that's just the brightest color.

Filters with a narrower range are generally more expensive--probably the reason people tend to use red and blue is because they're at the extreme ends of the visible spectrum, so you can get away with a cheaper filter (no one cares if you accidentally let through infrared light).

In order to make 6 different hidden messages, you'd probably need a similar number of filters and inks that all have non-overlapping color ranges (remember that most color printers only use 3 colors of ink, besides black). Those might exist, but you probably can't get them cheap enough to use in a board game that you could actually sell.

(Even if you had them, the messages probably couldn't overlap. For instance, you could have a red message on one card and a blue message on a different card, or a red message on the top half of a card and a blue message on the bottom half, but the secret messages couldn't be written in the exact same spot.)

But like I said, I don't have much practical knowledge of this specific technology. Maybe there are clever tricks you can use to reduce the number of unique parts you need. On the other hand, maybe there are complications I haven't through of that make it even more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Or Shkol
United States
New York
flag msg tools
For a person without practical knowledge this was an extremely helpful and thorough answer. Thanks a bunch for that. I didn't plan on writing the hidden message on the same spot, but the whole ink issue does sound troublesome.
I guess I'll need to find a workaround that doesn't require so much science the expanses of that will be way over my head for what I'm trying to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The practical approach would be to use AR tags and have a reveal app that each player would run on their phone. Different players would then see different things for each tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.